Oil Filter Size and Type

dradams13

:
2014 Mazda3s GT
I am looking for an oil filter for my 2014 3S GT 2.5L. I have searched the web and I am getting a ton of conflicting info.

K&N says PS-1008 but it also says PS-1002

Fram has XG6607 (and all the other prefix6607)

MObile1 is M1-108

and so on.

The problem is when I am in the store these things are all different sizes from each other.

I haven't been under the car yet, since I have to make arrangements to get the car up in the air.

Can anyone give me a hand with info?

Thanks!

Everything you mentioned except the PS-1002 has the same thread pitch (M20x1.5) roughly the same O.D. (~2.7"). Any of the above will work just fine. I would get the tallest filter that will fit in the available. I usually stick Purolator filters, so the PL14612 would be my choice, but Wix 57002 or the PS-1008 would be good too.

See my response to your question in my oil capacity post. Typically, the auto parts guy looks it up, tells me the number, and I grab one off the shelf. That welded-on nut really makes removal easy. I plan to change my 3's oil when the odo hits 5k miles (first time Change). That may not be for at least 3 months, though.

Always K&N filters for my vehicles. According to K&N's website you can use either the HP-1008 or the PS-1008, which is less expensive but does not have the welded-on nut.

Last edited:
I've been using mobil-1 M1-209 oil filter for my 2012 Mazda5 with the 2.5L. It's slightly taller than stock by about 1.5 inches, to get extra surface area for filtration. I use Mobil-1 0w20 engine oil and swear by the combo.

Back