2018 CX-5 Oil and Filter Change - Oil Level Per Owners Manual Not Correct?

:
Alberta
:
2018 CX-5 GT
I have the 2.5L engine. I did an oil and filter (OEM filter) change today. I added 4.4 liters of oil (owners manual says 4.5 liters w/new filter). Started the car and ran it for a minute or so, revving to 2200 rpms for 10-20 secs. and then turned the car off.

Let the car sit for about 25 mins. Checked the dipstick and the oil level was only at the lower hole!! What the heck!?

Added another 500 ml and now sitting a little over half way between the lower and upper holes.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

The manual states "capacities are approximate." On the 2.5L NA, I just put in the entire 5qt jug and don't stress about it
Good to know re: you dumping in a full jug (5L), looks like that's what I'll do next time I change it. I understand "Capacities are approximate", but a full liter difference? I've done a lot of oil changes on various cars, never had one out this much.

The 2.5T engine needs 5.5 quarts to top hole on an oil change with new filter. 1 quart from bottom hole to top hole. That is the capacity. Not sure of non turbo capacity
Noted the Turbo version has a higher capacity in the owners manual. Given what I saw today, the capacity (top hole on dipstick) for my non-turbo engine is likely closer to 5.1L.

5.5 Quarts is about 5.2L

Just found a similar thread. Guess I'm not the only one with oil level descrepancies. :cool:

No, you're not the only one, and you probably won't be the last. There are a lot of variables that can come into play, along with varying preferences from different people. The best thing I could say is to use the manual as a reference point, then adjust how much you fill based on your own repeatable process.

This. I do the same thing. Whole 5 quart jug takes it to the top hole.

thats what I always do too. Dump 5qts in 2.5 NA and call it a day. Never had any issues. Thats with the Thailand oem filter. Fills near the top mark.
On the Turbo though 5qts gets you exactly at the middle between low and high.

Last edited:
Had similar concerns when I did first oil change not long ago. Manually says 4.5, but was registering low on the dip stick. Put in full 5 and that took it to mid point on dip stick. Figured I was good.

I have the 2.5L engine. I did an oil and filter (OEM filter) change today. I added 4.4 liters of oil (owners manual says 4.5 liters w/new filter). Started the car and ran it for a minute or so, revving to 2200 rpms for 10-20 secs. and then turned the car off.

Let the car sit for about 25 mins. Checked the dipstick and the oil level was only at the lower hole!! What the heck!?

Added another 500 ml and now sitting a little over half way between the lower and upper holes.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Yes, this’s a "well-discussed" issue here as each time a new comer including me who did DIY on oil change the first time and got confused by these capacity specs from Mazda. All othe car manufactures when they state the oil capacity for oil change, you use the said amount, approximate or not, and the oil level is right at the Full mark of the dipstick. But for Mazda, there’re too many ifs and buts, just can’t give you an accurate amount on these fluid capacities.
Just ask if there is any DIYers who is willing put in the said amount 4.8 quarts in his 2.5L NA or 5.1 quarts in his 2.5T?

Normal CX-5 engine noise? Just noticed yesterday

For the record, the “correct” oil capacity for the 2.5L NA is 5.25 quarts; and for the 2.5T is 5.5 quarts if you drain the old oil fully, and you want the oil level to be at the Full mark of the dipstick.

Good to know re: you dumping in a full jug (5L), looks like that's what I'll do next time I change it. I understand "Capacities are approximate", but a full liter difference? I've done a lot of oil changes on various cars, never had one out this much.
Yes, I’ve been saying many times Mazda likes to do something different from everybody else. The so-called “approximate” capacities on all fluids specified in the manual are so inconsistent I simply can’t believe it. In addition to engine oil capacities for different engines, some are right on the money (front transfer case capacity), some are ridiculously off (66% off on rear differential capacity)!

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to add an update to an existing thread rather than starting a new one. I just did my first oil change on my 2024 CX-5 with the 2.5T (at 607 miles...yes, I'm old school that way). Warm engine, drained until only drips coming out, prefilled new Taiwan oil filter with 3.2 oz (.1 qt), added 5qt for a total of 5.1qt per manual. The level was just slightly above the add mark. Ran engine for a few minutes to check for leaks, then let the car sit overnight. Checking again in the morning, the level was still just slightly above the add mark. Added another .4 qt for a total of 5.5 qt with filter change. This brought the level to just below the full mark on the dipstick immediately after adding the additional oil. I'm guessing that once all of the new oil drains into the pan and if I'm on perfectly level ground that it would be exactly at the full mark. So, 5.5 still seems to be the correct amount for a fill to full result in 2024 2.5T. It does seem odd that the manual is so far off from reality. My '99 Tacoma manual says 5.5qt with filter and that amount fills it to the full mark. No worries I guess, now I know. Cheers all!

Sounds about right for the Turbo.If we had 5L bottles it would be the sweet spot.
5 quarts is only the Non turbo engine.

Back