Oil filter - 2.5L Turbo

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Yea, it's a shame.

What is the consequence of having the wrong oil filter installed (PE01-14-302A vs. 1WPY-14-302)?
Honestly the PE01-14-302A-MV you installed should be fine in normal driving conditions on your 2.5T. But there’s a reason why Mazda designed a different oil filter for 2.5T instead of using previous oil filter from the 2.5L. The specs have to be different between 2 oil filters.

To me, I’d pay $10 getting correct and better non-value-products 1WPY-14-302 oil filter and spend some time to replace the wrong filter for the peace of mind. You never know if the engine is ever developed some oil related issues and Mazda could use this as an excuse to void the warranty.

Honestly the PE01-14-302A-MV you installed should be fine in normal driving conditions on your 2.5T. But there’s a reason why Mazda designed a different oil filter for 2.5T instead of using previous oil filter from the 2.5L. The specs have to be different between 2 oil filters.

To me, I’d pay $10 getting correct and better non-value-products 1WPY-14-302 oil filter and spend some time to replace the wrong filter for the peace of mind. You never know if the engine is ever developed some oil related issues and Mazda could use this as an excuse to void the warranty.
Yea agree. I ordered the correct filter and an additional quart of Idemitsu oil. It'll give me piece of mind.

Thank you for your help!

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
It sounds like that dealership uses the same oil filter for for all their cars, turbo or non turbo. I would call their parts department and ask if they have an oil filter part number 1WPY-14-302, out of curiosity.