Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

Thanks!

So looks like Mazda is saying it should not be a problem for 09's and late 08's. Hope so, since I have a 09.

Good to know. My Speed3's PD is 9/07. Falls under the bulletin, but I haven't noticed the blue smoke. White smoke, yes, when it's cold or damp outside. And these bulletins are covered as long as you're within the 3/36,000 correct?

Sticky?

Good to know. My Speed3's PD is 9/07. Falls under the bulletin, but I haven't noticed the blue smoke. White smoke, yes, when it's cold or damp outside. And these bulletins are covered as long as you're within the 3/36,000 correct?

Sticky?

I don't know if it would be the 3/36 of the 5/60. Personally I think it should be under the 5/60. I know the turbo itself is under the 5/60 but I am not sure how they classify the PCV system when it comes to this particular situation....

Crankcase valve to me would fall under powertrain. It's not like a loose window switch or anything.

Last edited:
Crankcase valve to me would fall under powertrain. It's like like a loose window switch or anything.

I think to mazda it falls under emissions stuff though. That doesnt mean that they won't honor this particular situation though in 5/60

I read their procedure in seeing if there is a problem with the cars that are under the bulletin, but are there other things that we can do to see if we have this issue - meaning other tests? For example, would this smoke appear after my drive home from work? It's usually 50-55 MPH for about 20 minutes or so. A few traffic lights here and there. I could leave it idling once I get home to see.

I know that since I made the switch to 5w-30 Royal Purple synthetic as well as the Corksport race pipe and CBE my car will smoke after about 90 seconds of idle. If you have both catalysts you will likely need the ten minutes they've stated to see the smoke. If you have a test/race pipe, then you may be like me and see it very quickly and more frequently.

I know that my next oil change will be with Royal Purple synthetic 5w-40.

This progress on the part of Mazda is very promising, but long over due. Those of us who went to catch cans with two PCV valves, before and after the can have noticed improvement and sometimes elimination of the "smoke." PCV valves were never intended to work in the environment of high boost pressure and high compression ratios at the same time. The blow by the piston rings and the resultant crank case pressure build up is much greater than NA engines. I'll be really interested in seeing what kind of alternate crankcase ventillation system Mazda develops.

I would not be surprised to see that part of the Mazda fix might be a simple change in the oil passageway specs in an oil restrictor bolt that regulates oil pressure of the oil supply to the journal bearings.

It's just a matter of unscrewing one bolt accessable from the engine bay to the top side of the turbo once the intercooler is removed and replacing that banjo bolt with a new one with different size oil passageway. One poster (bnoon) on another board has made this discovery and it seems to work well in reducing pressure on the turbo seals and reducing the so called "smoke." The restrictor bolt and its location are shown on the attached photo (credit to bnoon for pix). Exact details of the change in passageway specs are beyond the scope of this thread.

I've not done this mod yet. If Mazda releases a re-designed oil restrictor bolt, we'll know this is a major part of the solution.

Attachments

• 100_0369.jpg
    100_0369.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:
Good news. Go Mazda. Now fix our ECU tuning with PT knock! So I dont have to worry about throwin rods.

Yeah I am really interested in the new PCV update. If its not covered under the 5/60 i wonder what the parts alone will cost. Maybe we will be lucky and its a redesigned pcv itself and be less than 20 or so bucks.

Do modded cars have a tendency to smoke more than stock? All I have is a SRI and a TIP. Not planning on changing the exhaust bits or taking out any cats.

I've always wondered how people kept records of their oil changes. Is it simply your receipt for oil and filter purchaser? I've been logging it on MyMazda's Web site, but people can add/change those at any time.

I've always wondered how people kept records of their oil changes. Is it simply your receipt for oil and filter purchaser? I've been logging it on MyMazda's Web site, but people can add/change those at any time.

There was a Mazdaspeed 3 or 6 user (I don't remember which) that tried to submit receipts of the oil and filter he purchased as proof and Mazda said that wasn't acceptable. Apparently it has to be documented by a third party.

Personally, I think that is subject to legal dispute. But I don't think that user fought it.

Last edited:
Do modded cars have a tendency to smoke more than stock? All I have is a SRI and a TIP. Not planning on changing the exhaust bits or taking out any cats.

Yes - exhaust mods. Exhaust mods that increase flow and reduce heat at the turbo exhaust outlet -- DP/RP and going catless -- can contribute to the "smoke" issue, simply because those hot cats are not there to burn off the remaining crankcase crap that got injected back into the intake through the PCV valve. If it all does not burn, it goes out the exhaust. Smaller, more restrictive DP holds heat up high in the DP longer to burn off some and the cats produce heat all to burn off as much more of the stuff as possible. Oil catch cans keep some of that more liquid and solid crap from getting sucked back into the intake.

Some say that the reduced backpressure in the free flowing exhausts changes the ability of the turbo seals to work properly. Maybe. Not so sure about that, but that's what the banjo bolt mod is about mentioned above and it seems too produce improvement.

And we run pig rich, which makes the exhaust "sooty" to begin with. The only intake mod I know of that might contribute to the problem would be running an aftermarket BOV in vent to atmosphere mode, as that would worsen the fuel richness, contributing to additional unburned hydrocarbons leaving the combustion chamber through the exhaust valves and eventually out of the exhaust side of the turbo.

Last edited:
There was a Mazdaspeed 3 or 6 user (I don't remember which) that tried to submit receipts of the oil and filter he purchased as proof and Mazda said that wasn't acceptable. Apparently it has to be documented by a third party.

Personally, I think that is subject to legal dispute. But I don't think that user fought it.

That's what I was afraid of. I keep the receipts and all, but I can see on Mazda's part how that can't be viable proof.

Latest posts

Back