Off Mazda Topic: Thoughts on concealed carry firearm of choice?

I will be getting my ccw this spring, but don't have anything small enough to conceal. (My Taurus 66: too big, my Ruger P95, too big, thick & heavy)
I'm looking at an LC-9 which is a single stack regular 9mm 7+1 but really small. (not as small as the LCP)
I don't like the LCP because I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old, and in the UNLIKELY EVENT that FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON a loaded mag is present AND a round is chambered, it has a manual safety for this situation, SHOULD I ENCOUNTER THE NEED to have a round chambered. Normally, I don't think I would pocket carry with a chambered round, but there are some circumstances where I could see the need for this. Also, if for some reason I set it down and forgot to eject the mag and rack the gun, then at least the safety would be on (not that I leave guns laying around for my kids to get into)

Also the LC-9 has a little more accuracy, and fits my large hands better. The LCP is really, really small, but its too small.

I looked at the Bersa, but I think that's a double stack, its really bulky.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't have any thought but I am interested in this too.

I hope to get my ccw this spring. My Ruger P89 is to large to carry.

I carry the S&W Bodygaurd 380. ( http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57892_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y)

I have a few close friends who are state troopers, and they carry these as secondary weapons.

It is nice and compact, but comfortable to hold and fire. Has decent stopping power too. I bought mine for less than $300 brand new, so the price is pretty good as well. Also has an integrated laser sight, which looks nice, but is a little difficult to activate especially if you have large fingers. The regular sights work just fine.

The only downside is that ammo can be pricey compared to more common calibers, and it is double action only (if that bothers you).

Overall it is a nice little weapon and serves it intended purpose very well.

I CC a Ruger LCP with the Crimson Trace and I have the pinkie-rest on my magazines so it makes holding it easier. This is by far the easiest to pocket carry. Don't like the long trigger pull but my point-of-use is close quarters and so accuracy is not as important IMO.

Take a look at the Taurus 709 or 740 slim. They are about 1" thick. They are single-stack (6+1) and come with a manual safety. It is also single-action unlike the Ruger LCP/LC9 which are DAO. If I didn't already have my Springfield XDM40, I would have considered this Taurus since it would have been easier to CC in an IWB holster.

I actually am looking at the 709 slim / PT 709. The only downfall is that it is made in South America and has not been know to be really reliable in the past, but hopefully they have worked out the kinks. They say Taurus's customer service is poor, but hey, at least its lifetime warranty, so no worries there.

I think I like this 709, very affordable even for the SS.

As far as the DAO vs SA/DA that's not a big deal, this is just for personal carry (defense) and not really a sport gun or anything.

The 709 tops the list. (affordable, warranty, adjustable sight, manual safety (i know, i know), single stack, 9mm, slim good for conceal)
LC9 is next
other considerations I have: Beretta PX4, S&W Bodyguard 380 (very hard to find), Walther PPS 9mm

I hear you. It's a toss-up on the reliability front. On one of the forums, some people just hated them (poor workmanship, bad customer service, etc.) and then there were people that just raved about Taurus. I too looked at the Walther PPS in .40S&W but the cost was over $600 vs. $370 for the Taurus 740 Slim. You get what you pay for. Good luck with your quest in finding the "perfect" CC weapon. Keep us posted on what you purchased.

I did look at .40 options as I have about 3500 .40 brass once-fired brass casings, but all the .40's are pretty large, most lack a safety, and I don't have any primers, bullets or dies, and I would also have to get a caliber conversion kit for my reloader. I'm already set up for 9mm so that is why I am leaning more towards the 709 Slim or LC9, but I do have this S&W Bodyguard 380 on my list too. I wouldn't reload 380 cuz I don't have any supplies and am not set up for 380 on my reloader, but the 380 would only be for personal carry/concealed so I wouldn't be going through a whole lot of ammo.

I looked at 32 but holy expensive rounds, that caliber quickly is off the team.

So LC9, 709 Slim, or Bodyguard 380. These all CAN fit into a pocket, are single stack and have a manual safety. The 709 is DA/SA AND has double striker capability in the event of a failure to fire (you can pull the trigger a second time if it does not for some reason fire on the first trigger pull), that as well as having 2 mags, a lifetime warranty and a hard shell padded case, and I can reload 9. Win/Win. However, the bodyguard has an integrated laser, is a bit smaller, and is cool as hell.

I'm conflicted, help!

Ok, so I went ahead and put my name on the waiting list for the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380. My local store had one on display for 3 minutes before it was sold. They had 3 that all had names on them so as soon as they came in they went to their respective owners. Hot item. I should have mine hopefully any day to a month.

The way I see it, it fits in my pocket if needed, it has a manual safety, a laser, and if carried IWB, it won't print AT ALL, and is very very light, and is very easy to break it down, and is just a really cool gun. My plan is to keep a box of 25 Critical Defense on hand or similar defense rounds, and buy a box of Winchester White Box for around 40 bucks for 100rds of target ammo. I'm not gonna be blasting through ammo like I do with my P95 9mm that has 17+1.
The LC9 is not as easy to break down, is kinda heavy in the front pocket and prints pretty well in the pocket.

Pretty excited. All signed up for ccw class in march/april

Glad to hear you've made your decision. I am sure you will be happy with it. It does fit nicely in your pocket and you forget it's even there.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.

M&P .40
Walther PPS
Bodyguard .380

I looked at the PPS, but just like the 709 or the LC9, the PPS is just a little to big and heavy I think for my personal desire for a "pocket gun."
BGPPSMP.jpg

Nice riot gun! Ammo cans are good. I've got a bunch of those, and I have some of the large gray Navy cans for the ship guns, they're like 10 gallon steel sealed rectangular cans, freakin' sweet. I just have to find time to load all this ammo to put in the cans. I have thousands to load for my .38 special & .223 (mini 14). With my machine, I can load 1 round per second or two.

I'm currenty carrying a Glock 27. In the colder months it's not bad for carrying and it's an excellent weapon. However, I've found myself leaving it behind when wearing summer clothes and wanting something smaller.

I've got my eye on a Sig Sauer P232 or maybe even an S&W airweight revolver.

Have you considered a Kahr P380?

The Ruger LCP is 9.4 oz and 2-3/4" barrel, the Kahr is 9.9 oz with a 2.53" barrel...I am saving my spare change for one, the new model has a loaded chamber indicator similar to my Springfield XD 40.

Always funny to see how guns and cars seem to go together! Our local RX-8 Club has gotten pretty gun crazy lately.

no manual safety on the kahr. Guns and cars both like to go fast!

I have the Bodyguard 380 on order/backorder. My only hesitation to go through with the bodyguard is the price.

Back