OEM Yokohama tires wear out after 35k? Cost effective replacements?

The good thing on flat repair at Discount Tire or America’s Tire is they’ll do it for free including a new valve stem and balancing even if the tire wasn’t purchased from them. They’d fixed the flat many times on my stock tires. Some forum members here even claim DT/AT will do tire rotation on their stock tires for free although I’ve never tried that as I can do stock tire rotation by myself.

I’ve been a faithful DT customer since 1980’s, and I’ve been going through the pro-rated mileage warranty credit process with DT many times. Of course it depends on the rep like everything else, but most of time the DT rep would start to urge me to get a set of new tires when the tread depth is at 4/32”. This means I can get 20% credit back from my original tire purchase price towards the new tire purchase if the 50K-mile warranty tires have been used for 40K miles at the time. I didn’t have experience on the uneven tire wear situation like you described as I keep up checking the tire pressure and tire wear all the time. All I can say is those DT reps are very generous on tread depth and they l’ll tell you it’s time to get new tires when the tread depth is at 3/32” ~ 4/32” anywhere on the tire tread.

And their 30-day free tire replacement warranty is real. Once I wasn’t satisfied on a new set of Michelin tires installed on my 2000 BMW 528i as they’re too noisy on the highway, they replaced them with another set but the noise was still the same. They replaced them again the 3rd time with Michelin’s but different model. That made me became a life-time DT customer.
Wish we had those shops around here. We don’t even have Costco where I live, and Walmarts are close to half an hour away. I’m not in the sticks; we just don’t have those stores nearby. Mavis, Monro and Indy shops are many around here. Despite memories of having issues with them, I sometimes wish we still had Sears automotive. We also used to have a Montgomery Ward auto shop, if I’m not dreaming.

Lol. Safe treads 4/32 but they only resolve at the legal 2/32. Laws need changed
Sounds great. My nearest DT is an hour away though so not worth the drive. Luckily my local shop does cheap repairs and rotations as long as you bought the tires there.
My nearest DT is four miles away. The problem I have with DT stores here don't do alignments they tried to send me to another store for that 8 miles further away. So they don't get my business. I fussy about running all over the country when I can get it done at one store for the same or less money!

I don’t remember seeing anyone mention…are those pirelli scorpions rated high for snow and winter driving?

They are an all season tire so they will be ok in light snow, but if snow were my concern, I’d probably get a more aggressive tire.

I’ve had and heard about some all seasons that are horrible in snow. Hoping they’re better than that. Already have the altimaxes for the cx-5 though.

I don’t remember seeing anyone mention…are those pirelli scorpions rated high for snow and winter driving?
Not rated 'high' for snow but check out the test video here on Tire Rack

Also read the written reviews and look at the comparison bar graphs to get a better idea.

Last edited:
The good thing on flat repair at Discount Tire or America’s Tire is they’ll do it for free including a new valve stem and balancing even if the tire wasn’t purchased from them. They’d fixed the flat many times on my stock tires. Some forum members here even claim DT/AT will do tire rotation on their stock tires for free although I’ve never tried that as I can do stock tire rotation by myself.

I’ve been a faithful DT customer since 1980’s, and I’ve been going through the pro-rated mileage warranty credit process with DT many times. Of course it depends on the rep like everything else, but most of time the DT rep would start to urge me to get a set of new tires when the tread depth is at 4/32”. This means I can get 20% credit back from my original tire purchase price towards the new tire purchase if the 50K-mile warranty tires have been used for 40K miles at the time. I didn’t have experience on the uneven tire wear situation like you described as I keep up checking the tire pressure and tire wear all the time. All I can say is those DT reps are very generous on tread depth and they l’ll tell you it’s time to get new tires when the tread depth is at 3/32” ~ 4/32” anywhere on the tire tread.

And their 30-day free tire replacement warranty is real. Once I wasn’t satisfied on a new set of Michelin tires installed on my 2000 BMW 528i as they’re too noisy on the highway, they replaced them with another set but the noise was still the same. They replaced them again the 3rd time with Michelin’s but different model. That made me became a life-time DT customer.
That certainly is an impressive batch of services. Unfortunately, there isn't a DT / AT within 200 miles of where I live.

By the way, I check my tire pressure regularly, pumped to door jam spec, as well and get a 4 wheel alignment with every new set of tires. That hasn't stopped my two generations of Toyota Siennas from scrubbing off the outer tread. I chalk it up to front suspension geometry. The turning radius on these large vehicles are / were a foot tighter than my 2006 Accord. Lock the wheel at more than a couple MPH and the vehicle hops, lol.

My current Avid GTs on the gen 3 Sienna are doing a better job in this regard than previous tires but at 35k miles they are showing some outer scrub. Plenty of inner tread--your daughter may get more than the usual OEM crap tire life with those.

I’ve had and heard about some all seasons that are horrible in snow. Hoping they’re better than that. Already have the altimaxes for the cx-5 though.
Consumer Reports just did an update on their tire ratings in the print edition. The only all-season tire among the 45 tested that received the highest rating for snow traction and ice braking was the General Altimax 365 AW.

Other ratings for those Generals: average for dry braking, wet braking and ride; above average or top rated for handling, hydroplaning, noise and rolling resistance. CR puts them in the Performance All-Season class; others may not.

I have not researched tire sizes for the Generals to see which CX-5's they might fit.

It appears these are also among the lower list priced brand name tires as is typical of General.

CR did not test those Pirellis, but the 45 tested included some of the popular (and expensive) Michelins and Continentals commented on in various threads.

CR tests tires over 16,000 miles and projects from that tire life--60,000 miles for the Generals vs. 85,000 for a couple of Michelins at the high end.

By all means check other sources for reviews. While the the Tire Rack reviews from the general public may be of some help, there are not many who come back for a long term assessment, with 16,000+ mile reviews being fairly uncommon.

If snow and ice performance is a priority and you don't want to get into the whole snow tire thing these are worth looking at. I'd consider them seriously for my Sienna when the time comes if they're available in that size. Not for the CX-5--that one sits out most of the winter while we're in Florida so I'd prioritize other features.

Yes, some all seasons are poor in the snow but not all by any means, just not as good as a dedicated snow tire. They just aren't made to excel in deep snow and icy conditions. The next step up is an all-weather tire which gives an increase in snow traction and carries the TPMS (Three Peak Mountain Snowflake) designation on the sidewall. Next is a dedicated winter tire which would typically not give the traction, handling and treadwear of the all season tire but handles deep snow and ice a lot better.
Overall, no one tire does it all to a high level. It's a balancing act blending the attributes to give acceptable performance for the driving conditions the tire is intended for. I've noticed that generally in the best snow traction tires the wet,dry traction, handling , ride comfort, noise and treadwear suffers to some degree compared to the better all season tires.

Yes, some all seasons are poor in the snow but not all by any means, just not as good as a dedicated snow tire. They just aren't made to excel in deep snow and icy conditions. The next step up is an all-weather tire which gives an increase in snow traction and carries the TPMS (Three Peak Mountain Snowflake) designation on the sidewall. Next is a dedicated winter tire which would typically not give the traction, handling and treadwear of the all season tire but handles deep snow and ice a lot better.
Overall, no one tire does it all to a high level. It's a balancing act blending the attributes to give acceptable performance for the driving conditions the tire is intended for. I've noticed that generally in the best snow traction tires the wet,dry traction, handling , ride comfort, noise and treadwear suffers to some degree compared to the better all season tires.
All-terrains are a viable option.

Through the years i have went through winters with snow tires(Nokian and Michelin) and also with All-terrains.

For winter my preference is
Nokian snow tires
Michelin snow tires
Firestone Destination AT(now AT2)

For winter where I didn't have time to switch the winters on, I have run the Firestone all terrains with fine results in snow/ice. And the new Destination AT2 design have been relatively quiet on highway drives at 50-65 mph. As my Nokians are about burnt, I'm probably gonna run the all-terrains this winter.

Pirelli also had an all-terrains which has high ratings and customer feedback. Noise ratings were mixed though.

After research my picks(from previous thread) for all terrains(that had decent all around performance with low noise based on ratings and customer feedback) were:

Firestone destination AT2,
Falken Wildpeak AT trails.
Yoko Geolander GO15
Goodyear Wrangler Trails.
Pirelli scorpion AT plus(noise?)

Check the above all terrains out as well as all season Michelin cross-climate 2.

* My parameter was a low noise AT tire that also had decent performance in dry, wet, winter and off-road conditions. The Pirelli had a more aggressive tread than the others hence why noise reviews may have been mixed.

Ime and imo, both snow and some AT tires feel alot safer and react better on snow/ice than any all season.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports just did an update on their tire ratings in the print edition. The only all-season tire among the 45 tested that received the highest rating for snow traction and ice braking was the General Altimax 365 AW.

Other ratings for those Generals: average for dry braking, wet braking and ride; above average or top rated for handling, hydroplaning, noise and rolling resistance. CR puts them in the Performance All-Season class; others may not.

I have not researched tire sizes for the Generals to see which CX-5's they might fit.

It appears these are also among the lower list priced brand name tires as is typical of General.

CR did not test those Pirellis, but the 45 tested included some of the popular (and expensive) Michelins and Continentals commented on in various threads.

CR tests tires over 16,000 miles and projects from that tire life--60,000 miles for the Generals vs. 85,000 for a couple of Michelins at the high end.

By all means check other sources for reviews. While the the Tire Rack reviews from the general public may be of some help, there are not many who come back for a long term assessment, with 16,000+ mile reviews being fairly uncommon.

If snow and ice performance is a priority and you don't want to get into the whole snow tire thing these are worth looking at. I'd consider them seriously for my Sienna when the time comes if they're available in that size. Not for the CX-5--that one sits out most of the winter while we're in Florida so I'd prioritize other features.
i already did my research for tires and bought the altimax rt45. everything is a compromise, but the rt45 checks all the right boxes. the 365aw may be better in snow and ice, but is a compromise otherwise. too bad since they had a better rebate deal. i was asking about the pirelli scorpions, potentially to replace tires on another car ('11 accord). they wouldn't have to have amazing snow performance, but not abysmal. something like the uniroyal tiger paw might even be okay.

forgot to mention i had a set of cooper endeavor plus tires installed on my forester xt, then sold the car a couple of months later (did similar with my previous car lol). they had good reviews for snow traction and overall. unfortunately, i traded the car in before i got to test the snow traction. the worn out nokian entyres (replaced by the nokian one?) did well last winter though.

i already did my research for tires and bought the altimax rt45. everything is a compromise, but the rt45 checks all the right boxes. the 365aw may be better in snow and ice, but is a compromise otherwise. too bad since they had a better rebate deal. i was asking about the pirelli scorpions, potentially to replace tires on another car ('11 accord). they wouldn't have to have amazing snow performance, but not abysmal. something like the uniroyal tiger paw might even be okay.
Just like Firestone has great and bad tires, you need to watch Pirelli as some of there line is bad( may have good dry but bad wet grip, etc.). Also, for firestone brand tires, imo, avoid the firestone LE (all season) and choose the firestone AT instead. Or choose a different brand as Firestone all season isn't that great. They do make a great all-terrains.

Had the pirelliI scorpion AS 3s installed today at Walmart. they did a good job with the install, but it took a while as they only had 1 tech working this morning and, well, he wasn’t the fastest. Have to say, I’m super impressed with these tires even though I barely have any miles on them. They are very quiet, seem to absorb bumps better and handling was great. Like the look of the tires too as there is a slight lip or offset between the tire and the rim. Was so impressed, came home and orderEd a second set for my 2019 cx5. Can’t beat the price, $600 installed. I knew those yokos were garbage.View attachment 314023View attachment 314024
Thanks for the photos. I just ordered these. Will install Next monday.

Is everyone getting the Hazard insurance or not?

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos. I just ordered these. Will install Next monday.

Is everyone getting the Hazard insurance or not?
I did not. Frankly, I’d prefer not to go to Walmart for service. not that they aren’t capable, just a bit disorganized. Fixing a flat Isnt that expensive anyway.

Frankly, I’d prefer not to go to Walmart for service.
The only Walmart service I would consider would be a battery. And the last time the guy looked at the application guide and was ready to put in the wrong battery. No, wrong, I pointed to the right entry in the guide. He then said those were out of stock. I guess just any ol' battery will do.

The only Walmart service I would consider would be a battery. And the last time the guy looked at the application guide and was ready to put in the wrong battery. No, wrong, I pointed to the right entry in the guide. He then said those were out of stock. I guess just any ol' battery will do.
really, you think it's a bad idea for them to do tires?

Depends on the staff and how expensive your rims are. For expensive rims you may want to find a specialty performance shop.
My powder coated rims actually were ok at my local indy tire shop and they were real careful.

I've had tires installed on other vehicles at local Walmart before as well with no problems. However some of the staff was older/retired and just there to get out of the house(maybe away from the wife) and collect an extra paycheck. They seemed to enjoy it and did a good job.

Well, you can good service or bad anywhere, but It's a question of the odds. What are odds you'll get a crap job from Walmart vs. a tire chain or a dealer or an independent with which you've had good experiences? You know what I think. But if you buy tires from Walmart make sure they install the right ones. ;)

Well, you can good service or bad anywhere, but It's a question of the odds. What are odds you'll get a crap job from Walmart vs. a tire chain or a dealer or an independent with which you've had good experiences? You know what I think. But if you buy tires from Walmart make sure they install the right ones. ;)
Anything I should check once they install other than a ride that seems off? This will be the first time I use Walmart.

Back