Occasional Starting Problems

Stickshifter

:
2014 MazdaCX-5 Sport
This morning I experienced a starting problem for the third time in almost two years with my '14 CX-5 MT. The symptoms are the same every time. When I hit the starting button the green light comes on in the button but nothing happens. No instrument warning lights come on including the the digital clock. The horn works fine and the interior lights come on when I open the door indicating the problem is not with the battery.. Hitting the starting button several times does not help.
However, I discovered that when I, from inside the car, lock and unlock the doors with the remote key a few times the engine will start. This may be a coincidence, I don't know. I checked the battery in the remote and replaced it just to be sure, but to no avail.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

One thing I can tell you that may not be any help (but could have some relationship to your problem) is that just because the lights and horn work does not mean that the battery isn't too weak to crank the starter. This is a common misconception about battery condition. I would probably be a good idea to have a load test done on the battery.

Last edited:
This morning I experienced a starting problem for the third time in almost two years with my '14 CX-5 MT. The symptoms are the same every time. When I hit the starting button the green light comes on in the button but nothing happens. No instrument warning lights come on including the the digital clock. The horn works fine and the interior lights come on when I open the door indicating the problem is not with the battery.. Hitting the starting button several times does not help.
However, I discovered that when I, from inside the car, lock and unlock the doors with the remote key a few times the engine will start. This may be a coincidence, I don't know. I checked the battery in the remote and replaced it just to be sure, but to no avail.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Since it is a MT, I would also look at the clutch switch on the clutch pedal. If the switch is defective or out of adjustment, the vehicle would not start because it did not sense you holding the clutch in during the START button operation.

Latest posts

Back