Now with the CX-70 "revealed", what is everyone buying?

Those are the only ones from Mazda?
There was an ill-fated EV the MX-30. Had like a usable range of about 100 miles.
1710891145369.png

Yes, the relationship is similar to Lexus/Toyota but not as tight as you think!
There are a number of things you'd think Honda would share with Acura but they don't. Wireless CP/AA was on Honda way before Acura, believe it or not!

Acura only has 4 cars at the moment and adding a 5th, their first EV! Mazda and Acura have more in common than you think!
The ZDX, like the Prologue, is a Chevy under the skin and badges - very little influence from Honda/Acura.

I checked out the MDX S Type a few days ago and the rear seat headroom was too low - I hit my head on the top of the rear seat opening getting into the back seat. Between that and a price tag that's the same/slightly more than the X5, I'll pass.

Note, Acura is a subsidiary/division of Honda (like Cadillac's relationship to GM). They have a much larger company behind them, so have the opportunity to graft in technology developed elsewhere in the company (like Lexus using things originated from its parent, Toyota).
Honda and Nissan just signed a Letter of Agreement to cooperatively work on EVs and such since they are way behind others. The Acura ZDX is based on GM platform not something from Honda.

The ZDX, like the Prologue, is a Chevy under the skin and badges - very little influence from Honda/Acura.

I checked out the MDX S Type a few days ago and the rear seat headroom was too low - I hit my head on the top of the rear seat opening getting into the back seat. Between that and a price tag that's the same/slightly more than the X5, I'll pass.
The MDX is a nice car but Acura is kidding themselves trying to compete w/BMW on price and performance!

A fully loaded MDX Type S Advance runs close to $74k and a fully loaded X5 xDrive40i is about $77k.
MDX Type S can do 0-60 in about 5.5 sec while the X5 can do it in 4.8 sec. Acura gives you 2 years scheduled maintenance while BMW gives you 3. Where the MDX really kills you (and nearly every Acura except for the Integra, which is a Civic clone) is in fuel economy! The Type S EPA estimate is a combined 19 mpg (real-world is typically less than 18) while the X5 combined EPA estimate is 25 mpg (real-world is probably better and I'm sure @dwswager will report back)! Any "savings" from going w/the MDX is immediately given back in gas!

One more thing: I would never buy the MDX based on it being a "3-row mid-size". I owned a '18 MDX and though the latest model is longer, the 3rd row is still only good for children and smaller adults. In this sense, the MDX and X5 are still comparable since even the CX90 has nearly 10" more wheelbase compared to the MDX!

Our disappointment in Mazda is because this segment is ripe for the taking and the CX70 we were all envisioning would have further given the MDX much needed competition and would have been a direct competitor for cross-shopping (though the MSRP is quite laughable any way you look at it)! The CX90 as it stands is a 6 second car. You could probably shave at least half a second w/a shorter, lighter CX70!

Last edited:
Those are the only ones from Mazda?
No, the CX-60 is also 48v mild-hybrid, like the CX-70/90.
In Europe and Japan (maybe other places as well) the CX-30, 3 and 2 are also mild-hybrid, though they only use a 24v system.

The MDX is a nice car but Acura is kidding themselves trying to compete w/BMW on price and performance!

A fully loaded MDX Type S Advance runs close to $74k and a fully loaded X5 xDrive40i is about $77k.
MDX Type S can do 0-60 in about 5.5 sec while the X5 can do it in 4.8 sec. Acura gives you 2 years scheduled maintenance while BMW gives you 3. Where the MDX really kills you (and nearly every Acura except for the Integra, which is a Civic clone) is in fuel economy! The Type S EPA estimate is a combined 19 mpg (real-world is typically less than 18) while the X5 combined EPA estimate is 25 mpg (real-world is probably better and I'm sure @dwswager will report back)! Any "savings" from going w/the MDX is immediately given back in gas!

One more thing: I would never buy the MDX based on it being a "3-row mid-size". I owned a '18 MDX and though the latest model is longer, the 3rd row is still only good for children and smaller adults. In this sense, the MDX and X5 are still comparable since even the CX90 has nearly 10" more wheelbase compared to the MDX!

Our disappointment in Mazda is because this segment is ripe for the taking and the CX70 we were all envisioning would have further given the MDX much needed competition and would have been a direct competitor for cross-shopping (though the MSRP is quite laughable any way you look at it)! The CX90 as it stands is a 6 second car. You could probably shave at least half a second w/a shorter, lighter CX70!
The Type S Advance here is over $75k - too close to the X5 to consider it. If anything, the MDX gave me reasons to more closely consider the CX70/90 again. They're close in size, the CX70/90 get better fuel mileage and the back seats are better.

The weird mousepad thing for the infotainment screen was awkward - moreso than the dial on the Mazda and BMW. Wasn't a fan of the entire center stack layout.

The Type S Advance here is over $75k - too close to the X5 to consider it. If anything, the MDX gave me reasons to more closely consider the CX70/90 again. They're close in size, the CX70/90 get better fuel mileage and the back seats are better.

The weird mousepad thing for the infotainment screen was awkward - moreso than the dial on the Mazda and BMW. Wasn't a fan of the entire center stack layout.
The Acura's are nice and a step above most of the economy lines like Honda, Toyota and Hyundai/Kia, but a step below some of the others. Because they only have 2, they positioned the RDX in the seam between Compact and Midsize and the MDX now at the shorter end of fullsize at 198". And the center console is somewhat baffling. Also the RDX is 4 cylinder, assume the MDX gets a V6 and like all Acuras, they get poor gas mileage compared to their peers. My wifes Honda Minivan got better mileage on the highway than my 2005 TL. :oops:

Interesting.

Here in Canada, the MDX S is 88k, the x5 89k. Now, i didn't look into what might be missing in that starting price for the BMW, and I know ticking BMW boxes can be painful, but it does seems a bit much of an ask from Acura. I've read great things about the Type S, but still.

The Type S is the top of the line so I'd think the 88k should be realistically the price paid or close. But then the CX90 here is 63k, so if I'm looking at these 2...25k even when interest rates were low was a crap ton, nevermind at the rates they want now.

88k also gets one in the range of the mid level Tahoes. Cross shopping that might not be super common, but who knows. Maybe someone has 3 big kids + dog and is MDX dreaming but knows the space would be limiting. I think they are different vehicles with different benefits, but the tahoe is quite a tank and has a certain luxury in my opinion from it's mass and 8 cyl. I could see me being happy in an MDX, X5 or Tahoe to be honest. But my budget more goes to CX90 and hard to fault it with 25k extra in the bank.

I went to a dealership (SF Bay Area) for oil change today for my '14 Mazda3.
There were many CX-90s on the lot. (did not see any CX-70)
Dealer should be very willing to negotiate now.
At least in US.

I went to a dealership (SF Bay Area) for oil change today for my '14 Mazda3.
There were many CX-90s on the lot. (did not see any CX-70)
Dealer should be very willing to negotiate now.
At least in US.
You're not kidding! I just used Truecar to price out a CX90 S Premium Plus in my area and it was about $5k below MSRP! A far cry from when they were asking for ADM last year!

Interesting.

Here in Canada, the MDX S is 88k, the x5 89k. Now, i didn't look into what might be missing in that starting price for the BMW, and I know ticking BMW boxes can be painful, but it does seems a bit much of an ask from Acura. I've read great things about the Type S, but still.

The Type S is the top of the line so I'd think the 88k should be realistically the price paid or close. But then the CX90 here is 63k, so if I'm looking at these 2...25k even when interest rates were low was a crap ton, nevermind at the rates they want now.

88k also gets one in the range of the mid level Tahoes. Cross shopping that might not be super common, but who knows. Maybe someone has 3 big kids + dog and is MDX dreaming but knows the space would be limiting. I think they are different vehicles with different benefits, but the tahoe is quite a tank and has a certain luxury in my opinion from it's mass and 8 cyl. I could see me being happy in an MDX, X5 or Tahoe to be honest. But my budget more goes to CX90 and hard to fault it with 25k extra in the bank.
That's crazy the MDX Type S and X5 pricing are so similar in Canada! Proves my point that there was a lost opportunity to compete directly w/the MDX. A shorter, lighter CX70 probably could have shaved half a second to be just about equal to the MDX Type S!

Last edited:
Interesting.

So basically, don't get the MDX unless you desperately need 7 seats and then the CX-90 might be the better answer!!! Similar prices here in the U.S. too. My X5 optioned out with most things anyone would want was $74K same as the MDX Type S with Advance package. The MDX will have more features probably, but the X5 has basically everything you would want and I added the multi Contour seats that have 20 way adjustments. There are so many adjustments the buttons have buttons. The MDX gets worse gas mileage and the motor is not as powerful. Even their reliability rating from various entities like Consumer Reports and JD Power is lower than the BMW. Parts and maintenance likely would be cheaper though.

But honestly the MDX is a better package than the CX-90. If you compare the X5 with the MDX type S, then sure the X5 wins. But if you compare an entry level MDX to the CX-90 then things are way different.

The CX-90 powertrain would have had the edge on paper, but it is underperforming in real life. And the Acura SH-AWD is better at putting power down than the Mazda Rear wheel drive architecture because the CX-90 does not have a limited slip differential. The MDX also has more useable interior space than the CX-90.

So basically, don't get the MDX unless you desperately need 7 seats and then the CX-90 might be the better answer!!! Similar prices here in the U.S. too. My X5 optioned out with most things anyone would want was $74K same as the MDX Type S with Advance package. The MDX will have more features probably, but the X5 has basically everything you would want and I added the multi Contour seats that have 20 way adjustments. There are so many adjustments the buttons have buttons. The MDX gets worse gas mileage and the motor is not as powerful. Even their reliability rating from various entities like Consumer Reports and JD Power is lower than the BMW. Parts and maintenance likely would be cheaper though.
If I "need" 7 seats, the CX90 is way ahead of the MDX! I barely used the 3rd row on my MDX lease but that was because the other car was a true 3-row SUV!

But honestly the MDX is a better package than the CX-90. If you compare the X5 with the MDX type S, then sure the X5 wins. But if you compare an entry level MDX to the CX-90 then things are way different.

The CX-90 powertrain would have had the edge on paper, but it is underperforming in real life. And the Acura SH-AWD is better at putting power down than the Mazda Rear wheel drive architecture because the CX-90 does not have a limited slip differential. The MDX also has more useable interior space than the CX-90.
SHAWD is also part of the reason why Acuras get abysmal fuel economy numbers!

If I "need" 7 seats, the CX90 is way ahead of the MDX! I barely used the 3rd row on my MDX lease but that was because the other car was a true 3-row SUV!
What was the other car ?

Because according to these reviews MDX and CX-90 are neck and neck in terms of space. But the MDX has the trick 2nd row bench seat that can be removed to become captain chairs.

I have a CX-9, which I consider to be on the small size for a three row. And the CX-90 really didn’t feel any bigger inside. To top things off, owners who move from a CX-9 to a CX-90 say they have even less compartment space in the CX-90 than in the CX-9. The CX-90 got big outside, but in the interior it has stayed pretty similar, and still smaller than the rest of the competition. (Pilot, Grand highlander, etc)

What was the other car ?
The other car was a GL450 that has been replaced by a GLS450, both of which can fit 2 grown adults comfortably in the 3rd row!

I was told the CX90 interior would be too small so we went back to Mercedes last year!

The point about the MDX being a better package is debatable, IMO.

The Acura may put the power down better but it does so at serious cost and efficiency degradation - also not keen on the air suspension. It handles slightly better but the engine is almost as noisy (comparing it to my Explorer ST).

As 'not a basketball player', I couldn't comfortably get into the back seat of the Acura because of the lower roof line. That is a deal breaker for me - I will quickly forget the performance every time I crack my melon on the roof getting into the back seat to retrieve something.

Latest posts

Back