Northrop Grumman/EADS vs Boeing Corp - KC45

ZOOMit

:
09 Mazda 6 / 10 Mazda CX-9
I dont see this as being discussed yet, so here it is.

Im sure some of you have seen this in the news, it hits close to home with me because this plane is to be assembled in my town and I work for Northrop Grumman, both good pluses for me if I want to change jobs. I'm sure some of you military guys also have some opinions on this as well. There's just so much media attention now that it's really twisting stories around, but when your talking about $35 Billion things will be said.....I was just wondering if anyone else was following this....lets disucss

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/mar2008/db20080311_092864.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

I am, I am in the Navy and I live in NW WA where boeing is located!! bad deal around here and I would rather the US company get the deal but..........IMO if boeing can't compete then the A/F made a good move!!

Rob

I am, I am in the Navy and I live in NW WA where boeing is located!! bad deal around here and I would rather the US company get the deal but..........IMO if boeing can't compete then the A/F made a good move!!

Rob

Well NG is a US company, but EADS is teaming up and their France, but hell the Chinesse put together parts for Boeing. Whoever doesnt get it is going to wind up bitching about it, but who wouldnt....it is alot of $$$.

Northrop Grumman is the third largest Defense contractor in the world and the sole source for nuclear powered aircraft carriers to the US Government. Northrop Grumman has vast experience designing and integrating multi-billion dollar platforms whether that be a ship for the US Navy; a wireless data system for the city of New York Police Fire and EMS; running the entire IT system for the Commonwealth of Virginia; or integrating an airframe with refueling and other subsystems as with this tanker deal.

Attacking this deal by pointing to jobs lost at Boeing is a fools errand. The 767 line will shut-down and those workers will join the 777 line which can utilize the production capacity to fill some of its back-orders. Further, Northrop Grumman is building a plant in Mobile, AL which will generate thousands of new jobs, and will hire hundreds of new employees at a completed facility in Melbourne, FL.

EADS is a consortium owned in part by European nations, but it is not fair to categorize capital investments by those countries in EADS as corporate welfare which should be taken into consideration when determining the Northrop tanker's cost. EADS gets money from investors by selling stock...no different then US companies. Sure, they get tax breaks; should we discuss what kind of deal the State of Washington gave Boeing to place and keep its assembly line there?

Also, understand that Boeing has recently underperformed on several large integration contracts, including SBInet. SBInet is a $2B+ contract to secure the US's southern border with sensors and an intelligent Border Patrol dispatch system. The first 28 miles of "smart fence" were deployed last summer and failed to meet DHS standards for implementation in other areas. Last month the Secretary of Homeland Security stated that additional sections of the fence will not be funded and that DHS will make an increased investment in unmanned areal vehicles (UAVs) which happen to be made by Northrop Grumman.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am a Contracts professional employed at Northrop Grumman. I support DoD contracts for IT services around the globe. I am not simply a blind NGC proponent, however, and I firmly believe this procurement was executed in complete compliance with the law.

Boeing needs to suck it up and earn business in a legitimate way.

They blew it and should be focusing on improving themselves, not trying to play the American patriotism card.

I worked side by side with NG folks at Fort Irwin, CA, not alot of those guys were happy at all with company

I used to work for NG..

I'm glad I got out.

really? I was in IT for 4 yrs and moved to ES sector a few months ago, already getting tired of it. Who knows when or if NG will get this tanker program. Would be nice to transfer and cut my drive time in half.

really? I was in IT for 4 yrs and moved to ES sector a few months ago, already getting tired of it. Who knows when or if NG will get this tanker program. Would be nice to transfer and cut my drive time in half.

What Group did you support when you were in the IT Sector? Were you in Montgomery?

I used to work for Boeing as an engineer on the 787. I've also worked for Airbus as an engineer on the shelved A380 Freigther program. Frankly, I'm glad Airbus got the contract. Personally, I perfer to fly on Boeing aircrafts but I still think this needs to serve as a HUGE wakeup call for them to pull their collective heads out of their collective asses. Plus Seattle is way too damn expensive to live in. And I think the NG refueling boom is way more advanced than the Boeing boom.

Back