No Spooling

mikeeeee

:
Mazdaspeed protege
Ok after a day of driving kinda hard on my car i cant seem to hear the turbo spooling anymore. i get some bov action when i let off the gas but i dont hear the turbo spool up. i dont really feel the power as much and i did b4 when it spooled up. i checked all pipes and seems to be on tite. a lil iffy on the intake to turbo pipe but what could bo spooling sound mean?
Could the turbo be blown or worst engine problem?

Do you have and external waste gate? If so might want to check vacuum hose and the waste gate itself. Could be the waste gate is stuck partially open. Just an idea. I'm definitely no expert as all my knowledge about turbos is pretty much through books. I just think I remember reading that a no or low boost situation is quite often a pinhole in the vacuum line to the wastegate or a blown diaghram or a weak spring. If your turbo was dying I'd think you would hear some squealing or rattling.

mikeeeee said:
Ok after a day of driving kinda hard on my car i cant seem to hear the turbo spooling anymore. i get some bov action when i let off the gas but i dont hear the turbo spool up. i dont really feel the power as much and i did b4 when it spooled up. i checked all pipes and seems to be on tite. a lil iffy on the intake to turbo pipe but what could bo spooling sound mean?
Could the turbo be blown or worst engine problem?

Wouldn't a hole in the wastegate line actually bleed vacuum away, thus keeping the wastegate closed, rather than open?

According to the TurboSaturns.net website when you start building boost that vacuum line no longer has a vacuum but pressure and this pressure assists the wastegate to stay closed. That's what a boost controller does is change this assistance. If there were a pinhole leak then the spring wouldn't be getting this assistance and the wastegate would start opening when any boost began developing. Atleast that's what I'm getting from it, here's the link. http://www.turbosaturns.net/articles/wastegate101.htm

SD6 said:
Wouldn't a hole in the wastegate line actually bleed vacuum away, thus keeping the wastegate closed, rather than open?

ok guys heres the new news. the car seems to full pretty hard and all but i still hear the spooling but it is quiet as hell. when i blow off its very loud but still the spooling is quite quiet. what could be causing this.

Do you have a boost gauge? If you don't, go get one, no turbo car should be without.

If boost levels are still fine, then don't worry about it. I'd be more worried if it were loud, rather than quiet.

Back