No Mazda TSB ECU flash for me?!

shucky

:
Mazdaspeed 3
I'm pissed. Took my car to the dealer yesterday afternoon with the TSB in hand (had an appointment by the way). Service guy told me my car doesn't apply to the TSB. I reiterated my build date (2/07) and vin# DO fall into the TSB. Duh! So the service tech hooks my car up to the computer and says he sees no need for a reflash and that my ECU was updated in January. He also said since I didn't have a CEL that there was "no need for a reflash."

I explained the TSB states the CEL does not have to be on to perform the
flash, I had to show them MY COPY of the TSB since they didn't even have it. They didn't know what to do so they called their Mazda rep (left message) to get some answers. Heard the service tech mumble, "well there is no check engine light, so there is nothing we can do..."

What a ****** moron, after I explained and showed them the TSB that states the engine light DOES NOT have to be on.

My question though is ... IS this a NEW flash as of 4/02/08 or was it something that existed back in January? How can they say I already have the flash and that the computer doesn't show any reflashes available for my car? My last flash was January (which I didn't even know about) and the TSB is dated two week ago. How could I have the "new" flash outlined in the TSB then?

Dick didn't even call me back yet.

I did phone the dealer where I bought the car and they said no problem, bring it in, etc, etc (very cool about it). Should have done that from the start, but I went to a closer stealership and this happened to me.

Done ranting now. (shrug)

I'm pissed. Took my car to the dealer yesterday afternoon with the TSB in hand (had an appointment by the way). Service guy told me my car doesn't apply to the TSB. I reiterated my build date (2/07) and vin# DO fall into the TSB. Duh! So the service tech hooks my car up to the computer and says he sees no need for a reflash and that my ECU was updated in January. He also said since I didn't have a CEL that there was "no need for a reflash."

flash, I had to show them MY COPY of the TSB since they didn't even have it. They didn't know what to do so they called their Mazda rep (left message) to get some answers. Heard the service tech mumble, "well there is no check engine light, so there is nothing we can do..."

What a ****** moron, after I explained and showed them the TSB that states the engine light DOES NOT have to be on.

My question though is ... IS this a NEW flash as of 4/02/08 or was it something that existed back in January? How can they say I already have the flash and that the computer doesn't show any reflashes available for my car? My last flash was January (which I didn't even know about) and the TSB is dated two week ago. How could I have the "new" flash outlined in the TSB then?

I did phone the dealer where I bought the car and they said no problem, bring it in, etc, etc (very cool about it). Should have done that from the start, but I went to a closer stealership and this happened to me.

It sounds like they are lazy about keeping their computer up to date so it didn't show the latest flash. If they are that lax, I wouldn't trust them with my car even if they would do the work.

yeah, you should call up another dealer, check it they have the new flash and make an appointment.

That sucks man. I don't understand why every single mazda dealership didn't get this TSB at once. Why do we have to bring it to their attention? Mazda needs a better system in place to make sure all dealerships are abreast of anything that comes down. Hopefully they will send you a questionnaire and you can let them have it. Mazda cares about the answers on those questionnaires, so use it to beat up the dealer if you aren't happy with them.

Basically what I am seeing is that most Mazda dealers have horrible service and are not informed about situations on hand. Mazda is down right stupid for not informing more of their dealerships. JCW

Shucky, yes there was an update back in Jan. But as stated before, there unit has not been updated. I too have had all updates, and yes when I picked up my car today, there was another update and my pump has been replaced. Next time you go to any dealership, you must ask when the last time there unit has been updated...???

I dont have the tsb in my hand but it says right in it that this is a new flash as of 4/2/08 and is NOT the same as the earlier versions.

The problem is that mazda doesn't pay for the WDS/IDS to be updated. So any tech/service manager that does it, is doing it for free.

If mazda paid half an hour of labor to update the WDS/IDS, every dealership in NA would be up to date.

So this means that generally most dealerships will not check every week for an update, and will instead update the system when a CD comes from Mazda. So give the TSB about a month or so, and most dealerships should have the information.

thanks guys for the good info, makes sense that they didn't have the latest version since they didn't know what they were talking about. I'll take it to where I purchased it. Thanks~

yeah, you should call up another dealer, check it they have the new flash and make an appointment.
Hope he has better luck... called my local dealer again and was told that I should bring it in to find out. Yeah, right. And get charged 99 buck plus surcharges and tax for them to do nothing.

Hope he has better luck... called my local dealer again and was told that I should bring it in to find out. Yeah, right. And get charged 99 buck plus surcharges and tax for them to do nothing.

yeah, no need to pay that's what the warranty is for and its a TSB.

your dealer sucks. i called my place and said "hey i want this flash and gave them the TSB number.
i was then asked "what time can you come in. needless to say my car gets flashed in the AM !

you guys are in the dark about what a manufacturer TSB actually means. it's a supplement to the service manual regarding troubleshooting and solving an ISSUE that has presented itself during the time after the troubleshooting manual was printed. if you do not have an issue, there is no need to follow the steps in the TSB. yes, the VIN could fall into a range, but that merely means that if it does have the issue, then they know why and how to fix it because cars within those ranges have been purported to have said issue.

this isn't a recall, people....

if there is an model-wide reflash update available for your particular vehicle, it will show up as per your vin and the dealership will perform it. TSB specific reflashes that were brought to be to help alleviate an issue are not model-wide, but symptom specific and should not show up for your vehicle as a model-wide update.

to those who are getting "the flash", it's been shown that sometimes a flash that is modified and made available for a particular issue can sometimes CAUSE a problem when there wasn't a problem to begin with...so, be forewarned.

bottom line re: TSB's- if it ain't broke...........

Last edited:
you guys are in the dark about what a manufacturer TSB actually means. it's a supplement to the service manual regarding troubleshooting and solving an ISSUE that has presented itself during the time after the troubleshooting manual was printed. if you do not have an issue, there is no need to follow the steps in the TSB. yes, the VIN could fall into a range, but that merely means that if it does have the issue, then they know why and how to fix it because cars within those ranges have been purported to have said issue.

if there is an model-wide reflash update available for your particular vehicle, it will show up as per your vin and the dealership will perform it. TSB specific reflashes that were brought to be to help alleviate an issue are not model-wide, but symptom specific and should not show up for your vehicle as a model-wide update.

to those who are getting "the flash", it's been shown that sometimes a flash that is modified and made available for a particular issue can sometimes CAUSE a problem when there wasn't a problem to begin with...so, be forewarned.

BIG +1

Its not mandatory for a dealership to perform the TSB. If you want the reflash just go in and complain about the exact problems (whether your having them or not) on the TSB and they'll do it.

I agree builthatch, but i still think these dealerships should be a bit more forthcoming when it comes to keeping our cars running properly. I am pretty sick of Mazdas Service aswell, Fairbanks Mazda gave me a warm time although I expressed that it was not a recall but rather an update. I did not want to argue so I went to Classic Mazda here in Orlando and got treated like a king! I have never had such problems with a dealership in the past even VW who is notorious for being very snotty!

your dealer sucks. i called my place and said "hey i want this flash and gave them the TSB number.
i was then asked "what time can you come in. needless to say my car gets flashed in the AM !
Yes, so far my local dealer has been pretty suck-ass to deal with, and they haven't even had my car yet. But they're the only one in 120 miles.

This is fact... Mazda USA and the local dealer tried drilling it in my head. But it does not serve the customer well, when the only place to find out about it is at the dealer... when your vehicle is brought it. TSB's should also be made available to consumers and/or other service venues.

I agree builthatch, but i still think these dealerships should be a bit more forthcoming when it comes to keeping our cars running properly. I am pretty sick of Mazdas Service aswell, Fairbanks Mazda gave me a warm time although I expressed that it was not a recall but rather an update. I did not want to argue so I went to Classic Mazda here in Orlando and got treated like a king! I have never had such problems with a dealership in the past even VW who is notorious for being very snotty!
Ahhh.. to be treated like a king. The local Acura and Ford dealer treat me like a king! :D Shame that the Honda and Mazda dealers here have to be so bad. :(

In order for the dealer to claim warranty time from Mazda for performing the TSB, they will have to have a work order stating the symptom, and the steps/work performed to rectify it. Performing a TSB just because you have a print out of the TSB in hand but not have any symptoms listed in the TSB means you are asking them to lie to Mazda to claim the warranty time.

If you read the TSB carefully, it says "Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the repair procedure" (where the concern is rough idle, lean code, lack of power), NOT "every customer should have their vehicle repaired"

Also, TSB is for assisting technicians in resolving technical issues on the manufacturer's vehicles, not for customers to diagnose their own problems.

Back