No longer riding in a fishbowl

djsiva

:
2014 AWD CX-5 GT w/ Tech Package
Got my tint done yesterday, but they actually put the wrong film on the front two windows. It was supposed to be 20% Suntek CXP ceramic all the way around, and then same in 55% on the entire front windshield. They did the windshield and the rear just fine, but messed up and put 28% on the front two windows. I've already arranged to take it back to get it fixed. :)

ibvL3WIlAuYZOf.jpg

I would leave it - you need to be able to see out of the front sides when driving - especially at night. 20% for the fronts is dangerous IMO, and illegal in FL (28% is max allowed for front sides). If they pull you over they'll fine you and force you to strip it all off on your dime.

I would leave it - you need to be able to see out of the front sides when driving - especially at night. 20% for the fronts is dangerous IMO, and illegal in FL (28% is max allowed for front sides). If they pull you over they'll fine you and force you to strip it all off on your dime.

There's already 20% on the back on top of the privacy glass so the 20% on the front still won't be darker than the rears. I'm not worried about the legality of it because FL is one of the most lenient states with tint. I've always had 5% and have only had 1 ticket in 20 years of driving.

I went with the 20% this time because it was definitely getting harder to drive with the 5% on my old car. :)

Not sure what the laws are here in BC, Canada. Personally, I think tinting the front sides and front is not a good idea. Making eye contact with a driver can potentially help avoid an accident.

Not sure what the laws are here in BC, Canada. Personally, I think tinting the front sides and front is not a good idea. Making eye contact with a driver can potentially help avoid an accident.
I totally agree with the eye contact thing, but let's not get carried away with generalizations. Eye contact is still possible up to about a 35% tint, below that (especially in the 5-20% range we're talking about here) it's not, especially in low light situations. Besides, there's nothing more aggravating than sitting at an intersection waiting for someone to make a move when half the drivers are hidden behind inpenetrable darkness!

Last edited:
Back