2017~2024 CX-5 Front Windshield Sun Shade…Feedback

Folks…I have a 2019 CX-5 Signature. A week or so after I bought it, I bought the OEM Mazda heavy duty windshield sun shade (P/N # 0000-8M-R02). The sunshade worked very well and was easy to fold up and store in the bag that came with it. Truthfully, it was a little bit of a hassle storing it because of it’s length…especially when I had passengers in the rear seat. Anywho…after less than two years usage down here in Central Florida…the silver coating on the front started flaking. This left a mess all over my dash and instrument cluster. After looking around the web and researching various options, I bought a product off of AZ. The brand I picked up was called Karlty’s (it cost $24.88). The add said it fit 2017-2022 CX-5s. It fits very well. Actually it fits better than the OEM product. Anyway, I just wanted to give some feedback in case someone else was looking for a sun shade. BTW…I am not affiliated with them in any way. Also, this came with a storage pouch that, once folded up into a circle, the shade (inside the pouch) fits easily into the storage Pocket behind the front seat.

Moderator if I put this ”product feedback” in the wrong place…please correct or delete as website rules dictate. Thank you.

Last edited:
I bought the (similar, in fact, it may be the same one as yours) Proadsy off Amazon for $27 back in November and have been happy with it so far (although it took me 2 weeks to figure out how to close up the thing consistently). If it lasts 2 years in south FL for me, I'll be satisfied. (I skip fooling with the pouch, and just stash it in the driver's seat pocket once folded.)

Not bad, how well does it store and fit? I imported the JDM one for my 3 and it fills every bit of the windshield up, including the corners... basically zero gaps.... it stores in the seat pocket behind the front seat perfectly
DSC_3793.JPG

DSC_3797.JPG

Not bad, how well does it store and fit? I imported the JDM one for my 3 and it fills every bit of the windshield up, including the corners... basically zero gaps.... it stores in the seat pocket behind the front seat perfectly
View attachment 311276
View attachment 311277
The actual sun shade look very similar in shape, size, etc. Although hard to tell in pics, I believe the one I have has a more silvery (reflective) finish. However the case that came with yours is far superior to the fabric bag that came with the one I bought. What did yours cost?

The actual sun shade look very similar in shape, size, etc. Although hard to tell in pics, I believe the one I have has a more silvery (reflective) finish. However the case that came with yours is far superior to the fabric bag that came with the one I bought. What did yours cost?
About $100... was worth it to me... hard to tell in the pics, but the corners have "flaps" of fabric to help fill up the corners or the windshield to keep light out better... they're way better than the same style of sunshades sold here... the sunshade is also one piece instead of 2 pieces, so less gaps, the better... only gap there is, is around the mirror, but there's velcro at the edge to help close the gap after you get the sunshade around the mirror... even aftermarket JDM sunshades are like this (I bought some aftermarket ones for my toyotas)

the fabric is pretty thick, so you can't even see any light shining through on a bright day

About $100... was worth it to me... hard to tell in the pics, but the corners have "flaps" of fabric to help fill up the corners or the windshield to keep light out better... they're way better than the same style of sunshades sold here... the sunshade is also one piece instead of 2 pieces, so less gaps, the better... only gap there is, is around the mirror, but there's velcro at the edge to help close the gap after you get the sunshade around the mirror... even aftermarket JDM sunshades are like this (I bought some aftermarket ones for my toyotas)

the fabric is pretty thick, so you can't even see any light shining through on a bright day
Thanks for the data and price point. The Karlty I mentioned also has the flaps in the corners (hard to see in the AZ ad) and the Velcro in the top middle to close the shade completely around the review mirror. As I mentioned initially, this thing fits the entire windshield and is far superior to the OEM Mazda product. If my car wasn’t sitting at the dealership awaiting repair, I’d post up a pic for comparison (maybe later this week I can). Anyway, at less than $25, I’m convinced it’s the best deal for me, but I do like the case that came with your $100 shade…👍🏻

Last edited:
Thanks for the data and price point. The Karlty I mentioned also has the flaps in the corners (hard to see in the AZ ad) and the Velcro in the top middle to close the shade completely around the review mirror. As I mentioned initially, this thing fits the entire windshield and is far superior to the OEM Mazda product. If my car wasn’t sitting at the dealership awaiting repair, I’d post up a pic for comparison (maybe later this week I can). Anyway, at less than $25, I’m convinced it’s the best deal for me, but I do like the case that came with your $100 shade…👍🏻
Mine is JDM OEM, that's why it's so expensive
DSC_3770.JPG

but it's not cheap crap, unlike the ones mazda USA used to sell 15 years ago, which is a giant roll which can easily delaminate itself if you creased it or grabbed it too hard while rolling it up. I got that one for my Protege as that's the only OEM thing available at the time

There's plenty of good s*** in Japan... this is the aftermarket one I got for my van, which has a giant windshield... it took me forever to find something that big, but it still doesn't fill up every corner, and because it's so thick and heavy, I used the old ones I've been using to help support it
28D9EE0D-3F54-417D-A0DC-0C8D7F665025.jpeg

B4C8E294-3925-41F6-85C1-E0ADC74A6E26.png

Mine is JDM OEM, that's why it's so expensive
View attachment 311284

but it's not cheap crap, unlike the ones mazda USA used to sell 15 years ago, which is a giant roll which can easily delaminate itself if you creased it or grabbed it too hard while rolling it up. I got that one for my Protege as that's the only OEM thing available at the time
Where can we order the oem JDM? Need for my cx-5 and 9

I have a 2009 Honda Civic with an exceptionally long windshield. Only $60-$100 custom made sunshades fit it. No thanks. So I bought a 4 ft X 25 ft roll of Reflectix at my local home improvement store to make my own. The Reflectix cost $40 and a roll of craft paper to use in making a template cost $6. I suspect Reflectix is what the store bought sunshades are made of. The edges of the Reflectix are soft, so no need to do anything with them. I can probably make 4 additional sunshades out of my roll of Reflectix. The sunshade I made for my Honda fits perfectly. It’s only downside is it’s storage. It must be rolled up and stored in the passenger or back seat.

I have a 2009 Honda Civic with an exceptionally long windshield. Only $60-$100 custom made sunshades fit it. No thanks. So I bought a 4 ft X 25 ft roll of Reflectix at my local home improvement store to make my own. The Reflectix cost $40 and a roll of craft paper to use in making a template cost $6. I suspect Reflectix is what the store bought sunshades are made of. The edges of the Reflectix are soft, so no need to do anything with them. I can probably make 4 additional sunshades out of my roll of Reflectix. The sunshade I made for my Honda fits perfectly. It’s only downside is it’s storage. It must be rolled up and stored in the passenger or back seat.
you would've been better off buying a JDM aftermarket sunshade on Amazon Japan like I did... don't just order that but several other things to make the shipping costs worthwhile... for that money, you would've gotten something that works good and stores easily

the civic windshield isn't as big as a 90s minivan... there's plenty of JDM sunshades that will work fine with it

Where can we order the oem JDM? Need for my cx-5 and 9
easiest is japanparts.com, but ease/convenience comes at a price premium.... there's some other ways for less money

if they don't list it, you can ask for it, look up the part number from the JDM accessories catalog (found on mazda japan's website)... there's no JDM CX-9 btw

2nd the covercraft.Had one from 2013 to 2020 on my 2014 touring.It did not fit my new 2020 touring because of the big sensor box at the rearview mirror. So had to buy a new one.I live in florida and never had any problems with them.

In my experience, I have had excellent usage out of the IntroTech roll up cover, the lowest priced one, since the late 1999 time frame. I have tried various segmented covers, but over time, they start to fall apart. Each IntroTech rollup sunshade is custom cut to your car model

It is light weight and easy to deploy, but because it rolls up, and does not use any springs, bags, etc, the sunshade is long. I believe it easily cuts temperature up to 40 degrees in direct sunlight, as claimed.

There are similar brands, such as the original HeatShield that I have tried, but the IntroTech is the best so far. HeatShield came up with the original concept, but my experience since the 2000's is that IntroTech was better constructed with respect to the velcro strap which was sewn into the cover, vs glued on. I tried a HeatShield again in 2015, but the glued on velcro strap started coming off in high temperatures under the windshield when used with my Mazda6...

Their least expensive Custom Auto Shade in Silver/white or Gold/white is the one to get. I have used it for Toyota, Honda, Acura, Subaru and Mazda over the years and each have performed well.

Back