No Interstate batteries for 2017 and 2018 CX-5?

I think thr N is for the terminal orientation.
The 35S would have the terminals on the other side, and that would be a problem for the cables to reach.
I looked on my battery and it was just 35, no N or S?
Is your battery an EverStart Maxx? To repeat, the N vs. S designations are (or were) climate designations for the EverStart Maxx., not terminal orientation. That N/S variation is rare across brands and models and may be discontinued with the Maxx (all of them N until they work off the case inventory?)

I'm not sure what problem you would encounter with cables. You turn the battery 180 degrees one way or the other to align poles with the cables. The difference in reach is maybe 3" inches if the poles are on the left or right. There should be enough slack for that in any vehicle. I don't see any battery brands selling orientation variations on their models. Anyway, my 2020 CX-5 non-turbo who take a battery either way..

Now, one orientation may be preferable to another. In my now traded 2006 Accord V6, it was very difficult getting the air cleaner cover off without disconnecting one of the battery cables because, if memory serves, a replacement battery's terminals were on the left causing some interference. Again, as far as the 2020 CX-5 non-turbo, I don't see where one way or the other causes an obstruction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your battery an EverStart Maxx? To repeat, the N vs. S designations are (or were) climate designations for the EverStart Maxx., not terminal orientation. That N/S variation is rare across brands and models and may be discontinued with the Maxx (all of them N until they work off the case inventory?)
Yes, looks like N/S variation after group number is only used by EverStart Maxx which embedded into its own part number for climate designations and different CCA. It’s nothing to do with BCI Group Number. In fact, the label on EverStart Maxx battery says only Group 35.

I'm not sure what problem you would encounter with cables. You turn the battery 180 degrees one way or the other to align poles with the cables. The difference in reach is may be 3" inches if the poles are on the left or right. There should be enough slack for that in any vehicle. I don't see any battery brands selling orientation variations on their models. Anyway, my 2020 CX-5 non-turbo who take a battery either way..

Now, one orientation may be preferable to another. In my now traded 2006 Accord V6, it was very difficult getting the air cleaner cover off without disconnecting one of the battery cables because, if memory serves, a replacement battery's terminals were on the left causing some interference. Again, as far as the 2020 non-turbo, I don't see where one way or the other causes an obstruction.
Like I mentioned in post #15, terminal orientation on the same BCI Group Size, if any, should be indicated by the “R” (Reverse?), such as Group 24 / 24R; or Group 51 / 51R. My experience is if the specification calls for “R”, you definitely want the exact group size with the “R” for correct terminal orientation. If I use Group 24 instead of Group 24R on my previous 1972 Ford Capri, even if I turn the battery around for the cables to reach, the positive post would be too close to the body metal which created very dangerous situation. The same on my 1998 Honda CR-V which calls for Group 51R battery, not the Group 51.

Is that from a phone? From my PC it does not appear in this way except I see now it does show the 550 in the search summary. Anyway, all evidence indicates that's a typo given what I said earlier--CR review and the full listing for the item as I see it on a PC.

Regardless, you cannot have this battery shipped. Either you pick it up in the store or you have them install it. Either way, if still in doubt, you can look at the top label to confirm before purchasing. Or just call the auto department.

In fact, the label on EverStart Maxx battery says only Group 35.
In the Walmart listing for the 35N as seen from my PC, there is a picture of the top label. It reads "Maxx-35N".
Like I mentioned in post #15, terminal orientation on the same BCI Group Size, if any, should be indicated by the “R” (Reverse?), such as Group 24 / 24R; or Group 51 / 51R. My experience is if the specification calls for “R”, you definitely want the exact group size with the “R” for correct terminal orientation. If I use Group 24 instead of Group 24R on my previous 1972 Ford Capri, even if I turn the battery around for the cables to reach, the positive post would be too close to the body metal which created very dangerous situation. The same on my 1998 Honda CR-V which calls for Group 51R battery, not the Group 51.
In that case I misspoke in speaking generally. Specifically, as regards Group 35 batteries, I'm not seeing any with orientation designations. Regardless, if all Gen2 CX-5 engine compartments look like my 2020, orientation wouldn't matter. If in doubt, look at the car, look at the battery, and decide.

In the Walmart listing for the 35N as seen from my PC, there is a picture of the top label. It reads "Maxx-35N".
See the big side label on the EverStart Maxx battery I posted in post #19. It says only “ GROUP 35”. “Maxx-35N” is merely the part number for EverStart Maxx battery.

In that case I misspoke in speaking generally. Specifically, as regards Group 35 batteries, I'm not seeing any with orientation designations. Regardless, if all Gen2 CX-5 engine compartments look like my 2020, orientation wouldn't matter. If in doubt, look at the car, look at the battery, and decide.
There’s no “Group 35R” on BCI list. There’re very few BCI group sizes carry the additional “R” designation for different terminal orientation on the same group size, such as Group 24 / 24R、Group 51 / 51R.

See the big side label on the EverStart Maxx battery I posted in post #19. It says only “ GROUP 35”. “Maxx-35N” is merely the part number for EverStart Maxx battery.
The "N" in "Maxx35N" on the top label designates the North version which might now be the only version. I'm not sure what else you're looking for or expecting to find. Clearly not an orientation indication as in your following comment.
There’s no “Group 35R” on BCI list. There’re very few BCI group sizes carry the additional “R” designation for different terminal orientation on the same group size, such as Group 24 / 24R、Group 51 / 51R.
There you go, all you CX-5 owners.

By the way, if for some reason one does not like the idea of buying a Walmart branded battery for whatever reason and cost is an issue, CR also likes the Bosch 35-640-B in Group 35 at around $125. Instead of 5 out of 5 for the EverStart Max in their three test categories (Life, Capacity, and CCA), the Bosch gets 4 out of 5 for reserve capacity.

The Bosch is not sealed--you can add water if needed.

Back