No Break-in?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
When I picked up my new car the other day there was no mention of a break-in period despite lengthy explanations of everything else. I've read the manual and it says no special break-in but then goes on to list what you shouldn't do for the first 600 miles all of which sound like classic break-in practices. Anyway regarding the long periods at same speed part I wonder what constitutes long periods. I probably don't have to worry because there are no highways I'll be using similar to US interstates. Most of my highway stretches are two lane and you're always coming up behind a tractor trailer you have to slow down for. As far as high speed about the most you can do is 75 mph hour and that for maybe fifteen minutes at the most before you encounter something slow moving. I will certainly avoid jack rabbit starts and hard breaking.

modern engines are so well manf'd that a breakin is often not needed; I'd just vary engine speeds as if on a 2 lane rd.

watch it with the tires until the 'greasy' mold release is scrubbed off - brake pads need to bed in also

and... only a small % of new car owners read the manual

Just drive normally without any extreme acceleration or high rpm and you'll be just fine. A note here based on my CX5 UOAs. The wear metals seem to stabilize at ~ 6-8,000 miles, so there is burnishing and polishing going on after the " normal 600 to 1,000 mile break-in" I treat my vehicle as it is in break-in mode till the first oil change or about 3,000 miles. Flame suit is on with protective ear plugs :)) Ed

Last edited:
From the owner's manual:

Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a few
precautions in the first 1,000 km (600
miles) may add to the performance,
economy, and life of the vehicle.
* Do not race the engine.
* Do not maintain one constant speed,
either slow or fast, for a long period of
time.
* Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or
high engine rpm for extended periods of
time.
* Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
* Avoid full-throttle starts.
* Do not tow a trailer.

Interesting. My 2017 Jeep Cherokee was similar, with the "there's no break-in period, but...", and they recommended occasional, short, full throttle acceleration.

An ideal break-in is on curvy, two-lane, moderate grade country roads. This keeps speeds moderate (avoiding continuous heavy loads), varies speed/throttle (and full throttle for brief periods is a good idea - combustion pressure is what seats rings), and avoids stop/go traffic and idling. But as others are saying, almost anything within reason is Okay and "may add to the life....", as Mazda puts it, is really all you're doing - trying to reduce the off-chance of doing something that might increase oil consumption and/or reduce engine life. Hours of idling and running the car at 100+ are the only extremes I'd really be concerned about. Varying throttle and speeds gives you the best chance of good ring sealing and oil control.

- Mark

My take on "extended period at the same speed" was to not take a long trip and use cruise control. I figured the speed variance introduced by my human input was sufficient, so I did not use cruise control at all during break in.

When my Reserve hit 590 on the odometer, I was just up the road from my house. I drove around until I hit 600, and then took it out and put my foot in it! I know it's silly to think 600 is a magic number, but that's what I did. I took it out on the highway to see what hard acceleration from 70 feels like (it feels good), and then went on some back roads in manual shift mode.

These are fun cars to drive.

Thanks markjen sounds just right. Good one Avoidin I'll probably do the same.

My take on "extended period at the same speed" was to not take a long trip and use cruise control. I figured the speed variance introduced by my human input was sufficient, so I did not use cruise control at all during break in.

Exactly this.

Yea, I really don't get it. So many dealers "there's no break in period"... there clearly is in the manual...

Back