Nickels and dimes

Once I was behind a young guy who was talking to an advisor at a Mazda dealership.
I witnessed how the advisor used scare tactics to con him into doing all sorts of unnecessary services... yes, including our favorite cabin air filter for *only* $89.
I almost wanted to intervene.. but I told myself that it is not my fight.

the young guy will eventually learn :) but then new one will be born.
Some of those things have to be studied at school I guess. I remember on my first brand new car purchase they sold me on the full protection package for the interior and exterior plus some maintenance. 3000$ into the loan plus interest on that. but we live and learn. Thankfully its easier nowadays with Internet and social media.

I must be one of the lucky ones, my dealer never tries to sell anything that isn't really needed.
If I want an oil change/tire rotation that's what I get. Rear brakes replaced - $200.00. Better price than the indys. I guess that's why they've been in business for 40+ years.

I guess it all depends on the people that you're dealing with. Some have a good philosophy and run a good business. Others, not so much. It happens in every business in all walks of life.

A good example is the vet that we take our dogs to. It's a two-man team and we've been taking our dogs to them for nearly twenty years. Various dogs of course, we have three now. Both of these vets are VERY good and knowledgeable. Both are friendly and all that but one of them is ALWAYS trying to upsell us on something that we don't need. It never fails. It could be testing or special food, or whatever. I always try to make an appointment with the other vet but it's not always possible. I just have to be ready for his up sale and decline it.

Last edited:
Well, had to get a hold of the service manager for this today, he looked into it and said it's covered under the extended warranty. They'll order the part and waive the diag fee. Yay !

Well, had to get a hold of the service manager for this today, he looked into it and said it's covered under the extended warranty. They'll order the part and waive the diag fee. Yay !
Glad it worked out in the end.

Luckily, I've been to the dealership 3 times for service and no upsell.

Back