Next Gen CX-5

I don’t think we should disregard comments coming from within Mazda. Yes, the CX-5 and 50 will coexist for a while, but the Mazda official states pretty plainly that the CX-5 will not get a direct replacement. I’m guessing we’ll get either a lifted sedan or a crossover coupe. I’m hoping for the latter. As for the former, here’s a speculative rendering.

It depends on how CX-50 sells in USA.
As of now, it remains just a fraction of CX5 sale.
1660580158625.png

Besides, Mazda wants more SUV variants, not fewer.

Automakers could easily go back on their words.
Bestcarweb (Japan) just reported that Mazda 6 will come back with CX-60 powertrains. So, who knows for sure?
1660580335208.png

I haven't even seen one CX-50 in my city yet. I seen a ton of CX-5 even a ton of the 2022s.
I live in a big city, Miami, FL

I've seen a lot more CX-30's around. Yet to see any CX-50's. Agree with whoever said it was Mazda trying to make a Subaru. Personally, not for me.

Personally, I like the styling of the CX-50 - much more than the CX-5 - it's definitely in the running for my next car come October-time. As for availability, they are in very short supply around here, about 3-4 on my two (nearly) local Mazda lots with markups of $3-4K. I think the factory is still coming up to speed.

New model from a new factory = it's a double no for me dawg [in my best Randy Jackson voice 😆]

I'd have to pass on that even if I liked the cx-50 untill they made them for a couple years.

New model from a new factory = it's a double no for me dawg [in my best Randy Jackson voice 😆]

I'd have to pass on that even if I liked the cx-50 untill they made them for a couple years.

New factory, new untested staff, cheaper and lower performance suspension. No thank you.

Last edited:
When it comes time to replace my current CX-5, it would be with another CX-5, or something from another manufacturer. It won't be with a CX-50, and I have yet to see one outside of a dealership.

I'd like to see a CX-5 that is taller then the CX-50, and has a plug-in hybrid power train and higher towing capacity.
I like the dimensions of the current CX-5. Would like to see a mild hybrid for some improved low torque, and perhaps mild improvement in fuel economy, along with an 8 spd.

I'd like to see the CX-5 return to gen 1 dimensions. Gen 2 got widened enough to not fit in my narrow garage safely.

I don't maybe it's an illusion be cause quick google search says same width, but gen 2 loaners I had felt wider.

I'd like to see the CX-5 return to gen 1 dimensions. Gen 2 got widened enough to not fit in my narrow garage safely.

I don't maybe it's an illusion be cause quick google search says same width, but gen 2 loaners I had felt wider.
It's in your head, same dimension as 2018, 2019 models. Aesthetic changes, made it 1 inch longer and and 1 inch taller, width is still the same at 73 inches.

It's in your head, same dimension as 2018, 2019 models. Aesthetic changes, made it 1 inch longer and and 1 inch taller, width is still the same at 73 inches.
Ah, not sure why I thought width was longer as well.

My next gen is going to be
Mine is - Hyundai Ioniq 5 AWD Limited.
This replaced my wife’s RAV4.

Thinking about a PHEV when it’s time to replace the CX-5. CX-70 sounds like a definite possibility in a few years.

Attachments

• FD27345A-0372-47F2-9F4E-1340A7FA08F7.png
    FD27345A-0372-47F2-9F4E-1340A7FA08F7.png
    69 KB · Views: 84
I have no real idea here but it seems to me the CX5's days are numbered regardless of sales. We now have the 30 and the 50. The 70 and the 90 are coming. Based on the videos of the 60 in Europe it appears the CX70 will be the slightly larger replacement for the smaller than average CX5 and I think they nailed it watching the vids. the 90 replaces the 9. If the 90 is here in the fall and the 70 is here next fall then its reasonable to think 2023 might be the last year for the CX5? Otherwise it feels like the lineup is cluttered keeping the 5.

Only time will tell but since the CX-50 is made in North America for local sales only, it would be feasible that the new CX-5 would be reserved for other markets. Unless Mazda decides to discontinue the 3 in North America to leave room for more SUV models!

Back