JAmador

:
Spring, TX
:
Malibu/ExpedMax
First post.

Working my way toward replacing my 13 year old TL.
Currently debating between 3 cars & the new 6 is one of them.

2013-14 Acura ILX 2.4 6MT
2014 Mazda 6 Touring 6MT
2013-14 Honda Accord Sport 6MT

I've driven the ILX & the Accord, jsut recently found out that a Mazda dealer near my office has a 6 Touring with a 6MT in stock, hoping to stop in & test drive it today, if I can get off work at a reasonable time.

I guess the 6MT is new to the Touring trim? I've seen mention of people having them, but it's not available to configure on MazdaUSA. Does anyone know if the Touring Tech Package will be available on the 6MT?
I know these are new, but has anyone looked into retrofitting the HID headlights from the GT onto the Touring or Sport?

Really wish the wagon was coming here. It would easily top my short list if available with a 6MT.

Last edited:
Touring with MT are a rarity, heard of a few people who have them so if they offer a good deal take it. Well that is at least for now. I was considering the new Accord as well but it just didn't do it for me. The new 6 was way too sweet to pass up on. About the Tech package on the Touring I mean I guess there might be some out there but since they are rare they probably come with no packages.

There are aftermarket H11 ballasts and bulbs available for the 6, people have bought Morimoto kits or cheaper ones off of ebay with success. Good luck and hope you find what you're looking for. In terms of fuel economy nocar in itys class will put out the numbers that the 6 is currently getting. Even for an aggressive driver like me I am seeing numbers in the 30's.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to inquire about the Tech package when I stop in for a test drive. I'm not in a huge hurry, so I don't mind waiting for an ordered unit.
I'm currently averaging around 24-26mpg (premium) in my TL, so anything over 30 (& regular octane) will be awesome. Has anyone tried higher octane with positive results?

Not higher octane, but I ran a tank of 87 octane ethanol free and got a tank average of 39.9mpg compared to 36mpg with 87 octane 10% ethanol. I may try a mid-grade test on the next fuel up.

Thanks U.S. government for putting corn in my gasoline.(unamused)

Stopped by the Mazda dealer after work. Toyed around with the 6GT that was in the showroom since I couldn't find the guy I know.

Turns out the salesguy I know wasn't there (even though I called & told him I was coming in), but a guy that works closely with him was there.
He was supposedly on his way back to the dealer, so I waited a bit & wandered the lot, looking at the 6s in stock. Surprisingly, a lot were unlocked on the lot & one had the key in the cupholder

The 2nd guy came out made a quick copy of my license & just gave me the keys to a 6 Touring with a 6MT (only one that had with a stick that I could find). Said to just take it out for a spin & walked off.

It's been a couple months since I drove the ILX & Accord, but I was really impressed with the 6. Coming from a TL, the 6 obviously doesn't have the power/torque that the TL does, but it has no problem getting up to speed.
Handled really well through the few turns I found to put it through.
I'm really used to a cable actuated throttle, so the electronic makes rev-matched downshifts a little different, but I imagine it's that way for most newer MT cars & would just take a little getting used to. The 6 could use a little more responsive throttle & a little shorter shift throws, pretty minor knocks to me, otherwise I really liked it.
The car definitely doesn't feel as big as it is, it's dimensions are really close to the new Accord & my '00 TL, but it feels much smaller & very nimble on the road.
I got myself comfortable in the front seat & jumped in the back & still had plenty of room. I'm right under 6'1" & had probably just shy of 3-4" between the front seat & my knees.

The leather in the GT is really nice, but the leatherette in the Touring is just as comfortable. I think the perforated leather would be a catchall for everything, I don't eat in my car much but I could see it potentially being an issue, glad the Touring doesn't have it. The 6's seats definitely take an edge over the Accord's.

The guys at the dealer couldn't tell me if the Touring Tech package will be available with the MT (since technically, the MT Touring doesn't exist on the MazdaUSA website, Tech package adds: Nav, upgraded stereo, keyless entry, auto headlights, heated mirrors, rain sensing wipers & dimming ISRV mirror). But, he did say that nav could be added to the car with a module that replaces the tiny coin compartment on the bottom left of the dash. The car I drove had a nav button, but no nav installed.
I've also heard that there is an updated head unit in the works, but nothing concrete, or for which trims. The unit in the Touring was fine to me, but I think the Sport is the one that's been getting comments about being lacking.

Definitely need to go drive the ILX & Accord again sometime soon, while the 6 drive is fresh on my mind.

I thought it would be between the Soul Red & Snowflake White, but the white just didn't do anything for me in person. I actually really liked the Meteor Gray & Liquid Silver the most (I drove a silver/black Touring). They didn't have a Blue Reflex outside, just a GT in the showroom.

I think it's going to come down to the 6 & the ILX in the end.

Just be aware the Ilx requires premium fuel. I am in the same boat as you. Looking between the accord sport and mazda 6(both gas and/or diesel).

Well, the accord is more expensive and doesn't look nearly as good! I'm in the same boat as you, I have a 2004 Acura TL, and I'm looking between a 6 GT, Fusion Titanium, Altima 3.5 SL, Optima.

Just be aware the Ilx requires premium fuel. I am in the same boat as you. Looking between the accord sport and mazda 6(both gas and/or diesel).

The premium fuel doesn't really bother me, as that's what my TL takes & all of the 3 above will get better MPG than the TL.

Well, the accord is more expensive and doesn't look nearly as good! I'm in the same boat as you, I have a 2004 Acura TL, and I'm looking between a 6 GT, Fusion Titanium, Altima 3.5 SL, Optima.

Priced how I would have them (MSRP) as follows:

6 Touring 6MT: $26k
Accord Sport Sedan 6MT: $26k
ILX 2.4 6MT: $32k

So the Accord & 6 are really closely priced, before discounts & such.
The ILX is obviously a lot more. So that may knock it off. Being $6k cheaper definitely gives the 6 a slight edge into the #1 spot right now with the ILX just about tied with it.
The Accord doesn't have the sporty drive of the other 2, so it's in 3rd.

Back