Newb needs help on 2001 Mazda Protege 1.6L spark plug change problem

bowiefan

:
mazda protege
Hopefully someone can help me with a slight problem. I went to Autozone with a check engine light on. The scanner said it was a cylinder 2 misfire. I went to Wally World and bought a cheap-o spark plug socket and changed out the plug. Everything went fine and the new plug went in fine and tightened up good. When I went to back the plug out again to adjust the torque slightly I noticed that I couldn't get the socket back on the spark plug. I also noticed that the rubber insert was not in the socket. I was able to tighten up the coil pack ok. Is it possible for that insert to be stuck on the top of the plug and prevent the socket from grabbing. I drove the car 5 miles and it seems to run ok with no missing and the check engine light is out. The rubber socket insert is hex shaped so you would think the socket would go right over it and I could then pull the insert out. Anyone have any ideas as to what it wrong. It's hard to tell whether the insert is in the hole or not.

It happens here and there, flat head screw driver and long needle nose pliers and have fun. I don't even bother with those any more. Paper towel stuffed into a socket does just as good and doesn't get stuck

I pulled one of those out with a long piece of stiff drop ceiling wire that I bent a barb/hook in the tip to snag the rubber ring. I'll never use those sockets again. I now use a socket to loosen up, then fish the plug out with one of those extensions with the magnet on the end. Works great.

Latest posts

Back