New Tune update...

:
2012 Touring MT
Like I mentioned before, in order to keep up with the new comers in STF I decided to improve my car and push the limits.

Orange Virus Tuning http://ovtuned.com/ update... If anybody is on the fence about this tuner I just have to say that they are Awesome, totally backing up their clean reputation of quality tunes and prime costumer service.

Taking in consideration that I had already a decent tune(ECUnleashed) in my car which is putting 124 HP and 117 lbs, of TQ to the wheels, I have to say that with only 2 files downloaded from OVT (just the beginning) , the car is already much better, 2nd gear start pushing at 2200 rpms really hard, 4th gear is so torquey feels like 3rd gear, can't wait to get done and dynoed !! And then custom headers. will fine tune after headers.

After writing the second file I drove to a safe country road the record acceleration, road was wet so I left the Traction control On..

Andres

I'm really looking forward to getting mine tuned from OV. Need to get the header and enthuza exhaust in first. Hopefully I can get everything done before spring.

I'm really looking forward to getting mine tuned from OV. Need to get the header and enthuza exhaust in first. Hopefully I can get everything done before spring.

Sh.. I forgot to send you the file with the installation instructions. Already have the headers ??? my bad

Andres

I am almost done with the tune , today I got my second to last file, drove for a while... crazy , second gear is sooo strong. Got this video, watch the elapsed time between 1st and 2nd gears due to spinning, is even more compare to the prior video... It pulls so strong, and temperatures are getting too low... soon snow is going to be here :(

Last set of logs sent this morning, as soon I get my final file down to the dyno to see the real numbers, the car is different, first gear is soo torquey, spin town... a lot of power at lower RPMs , perfect for Autocross. There is a chance of a group buy but I would not get into any commitment until I show the Dyno numbers, from what I had I expect a big change in the low end numbers not too much in higher rpms.

... Stay tuned

Andres

Any chance of a Dynajet run? I'd be interested to see the comparison with the DT tune as I feel a 20+ HP difference between the two is just not possible with the same basic engine modifications.

I know the feeling, but in reality the only way to now improvements is dyno sheets. Right now my car feels like has gained 6 hp and 6 lbs of torque , but in reality.. until I don't go to the Dyno this week nothing is for sure. You should do the same and then make decisions..

Andres

Last edited:
Hello everyone, Thanks for the in-progress review Andres3165... We have had problems on this forum before because of another tuner/vendor and the admin, but hopefully it goes well.

If anyone is interested, we would like to discuss what it is exactly we change, and why. Contrary to popular forum belief, there are other tuners out there who has put in quite a lot of work into these Mazda ECUs. =) We haven't tuned a lot of mazda2's, I'll be honest, but the logic and mapping of the ECU is consistent between almost all models.
With that.....someone sent us a calibration they had received from another tuner, asking us to ensure his calibration was safe. They asked us to make people aware of it if there was noticeable issues.

We won't name who it is, because we don't know. however we will explain what we saw.... We will not entertain any form of bashing. This is purely a informative post about the safety of calibrations floating on the market. Issues noticed were : Fuel maps done incorrectly, overly rich targets, A rev limiter of 7400 with the knock sensor turned off at 6200, Ignition maps, and Closed to Open Loop Transfer (one of the most difficult things to actually get CORRECT on these cars, and a closely kept secret of ours).

We also had a few people ask us about a bolt-on tuned turbo kit, which we would like to talk about as well..

Last edited:
I am glad to see you back. This community needed you big time.

My car is one file from being done and is a total different car, it was fast before now... just can wait to next week when I get it Dynoed...
I am strong believer in proven quality, OVT has done that from the beginning carrying a well established Reputation based on proven quality and excellent costumer service.

In my opinion one of the best way to realistically quantify the improvement of your mods is Dyno testing before and after, keeping variables as unchanged as possible...

If my goal was not Autocross next year I would totally go for the Turbo Kit

Thanks Matt

Andres

Snow melted from yesterday but temperature was around 27 degrees. After four files, one from being done the car feels super strong and now reachs and passes by 100 mph easier. A lot of spinning in first, I have to learn how to launch better:

Used a stop watch Aprox times: 0-60 : 7.5 sec 0-80 : 20.8 sec 0 - 100 : 23.16 sec

Andres

Last edited:
Guess I'm the only person who got to drive Andres's newly tune 2. (benefits of living 30 minutes away) I gotta say the power is impressive. The 2 that I autox is completely stock in terms of power and you can definitely feel the power difference between these two cars. It pulls strong through all the gears. 2nd gear felt like 1st, 3rd felt like 2nd, 4th and 5th actually has power!!!!! I can't describe 1st gear since there is nothing in a stock 2 to compare it to. All I know is this is the power Mazda should of put in a stock 2. We both jokingly agree that overall it felt like a civic. However I feel that it felt better than a civic since it had better low to mid range torque. (Now I'm comparing it to a stock civic and not a fully built or fully tune civic.) Also the light weight of the 2 is probably what amplify that feel. I told Andres he needs to take it to a drag strip or dyno since those two are the only bench mark people care about (more drag #'s than dyno). If he can hit 15 seconds at the strip everyone would agree it is a fast 2 since in stock power trim we still get owned by minivans (Sienna stock 1/4 mile @ 15.8). Anyway this will be my last season autoxing the 2. Three season is more than enough learning exp. and I hate modify cars because things break, leaks, squeaks or clunks(use to own turbo SE-R, Talon AWD, and a rice out civic [hey I was 18 and didn't know any better + I thought F&F was cool at the time too...LOL ]). Moving on to pasture new (*cough* something RWD like a miata or the twins *cough*). Anyway if your looking for power drop in the 2.3L MZR turbo from the Speed3/6 but if your looking to stay STF legal then just follow what I believe is the most modify 2 in the country for STF (Andres's 2). (However if you want to win STF at national then get a Civic SI or RSX type-S..LOL..Sorry Andres this is my honest review)

Back