New to the CX-5 world but not mazda

:
03.5 YLW MSP
I purchased a soul red cx-5 with roof rack, trunk bumper guard thing and, fog lights with the touring package. Things I wish they offered are power passenger seat (I couldnt tell you the last time I owned a car that only had one power seat), and the ability to watch movies over the touch screen like most aftermarket head units. The power is kind of eh at best even on my 2.5L. Then again I'm also coming from something that had 100 more HP and still got better gas mileage out of a v6 compared to this 4 banger.

Over all I do like the car for what it is. I'm still trying to find a comfortable seating position with a baby car seat in the back seat behind the driver. I almost ended up in a santefe sport but didnt like the way it handled but it had the power I was looking for and the mazda was complete opposite

Then again I'm also coming from something that had 100 more HP and still got better gas mileage out of a v6 compared to this 4 banger.

Wow! What were you driving before? My 2009 BMW X3 had an inline-6 with 260 HP and got 13 mpg average around town (90% of my driving). I feel like my CX-5 is quick enough and powerful enough (and lighter!), but I am not impressed with the sub-18 mpg mileage. I am surprised every day how much MORE I like this CX-5 than my X3.

Wow! What were you driving before? My 2009 BMW X3 had an inline-6 with 260 HP and got 13 mpg average around town (90% of my driving). I feel like my CX-5 is quick enough and powerful enough (and lighter!), but I am not impressed with the sub-18 mpg mileage. I am surprised every day how much MORE I like this CX-5 than my X3.

2010 Hyundai genesis sedan 3.8L V6 6 speed auto. the CX-5 barely had enough power to pass anyone at highway speeds but around town it has decent power. Nothing that will throw you back in your seat but just enough to get the job done. However with that said putting around town and not in a hurry the 2.5L does fine. I was averaging well above EPA on the highway with the cruise set at 60-65 in my genesis. I struggle to meet city EPA on the highway with the cruise set in at the same speeds. I do prefer how the CX-5 handles, brakes, and steers compared to the other CUVs and my old genesis. Even with that said I still prefer to drive my MSP which gets better gas mileage then either car and is WAY faster than the CX-5 and slightly faster then the Genesis.

Last edited:
2010 Hyundai genesis sedan 3.8L V6 6 speed auto. the CX-5 barely had enough power to pass anyone at highway speeds but around town it has decent power. Nothing that will throw you back in your seat but just enough to get the power done. However with that said putting around town and not in a hurry the 2.5L does fine. I was averaging well above EPA on the highway with the cruise set at 60-65. I struggle to meet city EPA on the highway with the cruise set in at the same speeds. I do prefer how the CX-5 handles, brakes, and steers compared to the other CUV and my old genesis. Even with that said I still prefer to drive my MSP which gets better gas mileage then either car and is WAY faster than the CX-5 and slightly faster then the Genesis.

The CX-5 has plenty of power once you get used to the computer. If you push pedal down normally, it won't speed up much, its trying to save gas. Once you learn to snap the pedal half way, the computer will downshift and take off pretty quick. The MPG is weird on the CX-5. It gets amazing mileage at lower speeds of 45-55mph, and quickly drops as you speed up. The longer the drive, the better the MPG. Stop/starts really drop MPG.

2010 Hyundai genesis sedan 3.8L V6 6 speed auto. the CX-5 barely had enough power to pass anyone at highway speeds but around town it has decent power. Nothing that will throw you back in your seat but just enough to get the power done. However with that said putting around town and not in a hurry the 2.5L does fine. I was averaging well above EPA on the highway with the cruise set at 60-65. I struggle to meet city EPA on the highway with the cruise set in at the same speeds. I do prefer how the CX-5 handles, brakes, and steers compared to the other CUV and my old genesis. Even with that said I still prefer to drive my MSP which gets better gas mileage then either car and is WAY faster than the CX-5 and slightly faster then the Genesis.

(hi) and welcome! Keep in mind you are comparing a (brick) CUV vs a (sleek) sedan. Of course hwy mileage will differ. 55-60mph is the sweet spot for mpg.

The CX-5 has plenty of power once you get used to the computer. If you push pedal down normally, it won't speed up much, its trying to save gas. Once you learn to snap the pedal half way, the computer will downshift and take off pretty quick. The MPG is weird on the CX-5. It gets amazing mileage at lower speeds of 45-55mph, and quickly drops as you speed up. The longer the drive, the better the MPG. Stop/starts really drop MPG.
I noticed the sweet spot is 45-ish to 55-ish mpg on these cars and unfortunately im hardly ever in that sweet spot.
(hi) and welcome! Keep in mind you are comparing a (brick) CUV vs a (sleek) sedan. Of course hwy mileage will differ. 55-60mph is the sweet spot for mpg.
One of the reasons we went with the cx-5 is the gas mileage and handling. Not impressed with the gas mileage so far.

Edit: the cx5 is rated for better highway mileage of the two cars, the genesis which was 27mpg hwy. I'm struggling to come close to that at below the speed limit.

Last edited:
I noticed the sweet spot is 45-ish to 55-ish mpg on these cars and unfortunately im hardly ever in that sweet spot.

One of the reasons we went with the cx-5 is the gas mileage and handling. Not impressed with the gas mileage so far.

Edit: the cx5 is rated for better highway mileage of the two cars, the genesis which was 27mpg hwy. I'm struggling to come close to that at below the speed limit.

I expect the CX-5 will have gradually improved mpg as I move through the break-in period, as I am seeing <18 mpg with about 60% city driving at 200 miles on the odometer! Of course, if my objective were simply to get good mpg, I would have bought a Prius!

I expect the CX-5 will have gradually improved mpg as I move through the break-in period, as I am seeing <18 mpg with about 60% city driving at 200 miles on the odometer! Of course, if my objective were simply to get good mpg, I would have bought a Prius!

True, yet I would still expect better gas mileage out of a CX-5 that is rated 25 city 31 hwy over a genesis with a 18 city and 27 hwy with more HP/torque, and 1k lbs heavier than the cx-5... Perhaps The gas mileage will improve when I get miles broken in on it. The better gas mileage was one of the reasons why we went with the CX-5 but definitely not the primary reason. We will see how this next tank turns out 2 hours at 55mph so that should bump of my gas mileage but even then that's borderline asking for a death wish(I wouldn't do this with my son in the car), even when driving in the slow lane at 8/9pm a night. Traffic around here is generally going around 75-80mph in a 65mph zone.

However with that said I think I finally found a sweet spot for a seating position over the last 1k miles!

This last tank yeilded 24.9mpg with a lot of slow highway driving. I hope the gas mileage improves when i get more mileage on this car. So far my old Genesis and MSP get better gas mileage with my foot in it. The CX-5 I haven't really got on it except trying to pass someone on the high way and thats why i say it doesn't have much passing power. However that could be because im comparing the passing power to stuff that is a hell of a lot faster then the cx-5. Overall im satisfied with my CX-5 and would do it again over again except I might of went with the GT to get leather seats.

What have you got done to your MSP? Pics?

Perrin FMIC, Perrin Adjustable shortshifter, shifter bushings, injen CAI, AWR pass, front, and rear motor mounts, greddy rs bov, pop 3” dp casting, local exhaust shop 3” dp with 3” catless midpipe, greddy sp2 catback, tein s-tech springs, Custom SS brake lines & clutch, yellow stuff pads, drilled slotted rotors, aem wb, prosport boost gauge, weighted shift knob, body matched projectors, 4.5K HID, and I’m sure I’m forgetting a few other things. I have pic’s all over this site

True. If I drive slow and steady I can keep my mpg average OVER 37 or even 38mpg. But I live in the real world and thus my overall mpg is as seen in my Fully banner.

If you do a lot of high speed highway driving you can save gas by removing any external appendages that are not in use.

This last tank yeilded 24.9mpg with a lot of slow highway driving. I hope the gas mileage improves when i get more mileage on this car. So far my old Genesis and MSP get better gas mileage with my foot in it. The CX-5 I haven't really got on it except trying to pass someone on the high way and thats why i say it doesn't have much passing
welcome. are you going to hook it up like your msp (did you sell that or still have it)?

On my 2.5 AWD, I get over 26 MPG average. I really don't fit into the EPA's "city" or "highway" models, though. I drive in western PA with LOTS single lane and very hilly "rollercoaster" roads. Nearly 0 highway (where I can easily get over 30MPG), but not as many stops as a typical "city." A ton of gas is wasted climbing hills, and I usually end up having to ride my brake (or downshift) while going downhill due to stop signs or people in front of me that are slowing down.

Take care
Gary

welcome. are you going to hook it up like your msp (did you sell that or still have it)?

yep, still have and it wont be going anywhere. The CX-5 wont be hooked up at all. I might do a few creature comfort type mods and maybe wheels but that's about it

On my 2.5 AWD, I get over 26 MPG average. I really don't fit into the EPA's "city" or "highway" models, though. I drive in western PA with LOTS single lane and very hilly "rollercoaster" roads. Nearly 0 highway (where I can easily get over 30MPG), but not as many stops as a typical "city." A ton of gas is wasted climbing hills, and I usually end up having to ride my brake (or downshift) while going downhill due to stop signs or people in front of me that are slowing down.

Take care
Gary

Its pretty flat here in Jacksonville except for a few bridges and the bridges might be my issue with getting near epa on the fuel mileage.

Back