New smiley 5 shifty boy in town

MazdaVelo

2003 P5, 2016 Mazda6, 2001 Protege, 2012 Mazda5
Scored a 2012 Mazda5 Sport MT. 89k on the clock, and even though it was bought in freakin Massachusetts, its living in TX now. rust isn't terrible, rear end susp components will most likely be replaced at some point, but i bought this thing to commute back and forth for offshore deployments. still can't stop geeking over the third row in this thing. honestly, after getting the windows tinted and swapping the OE head unit out for a cheapy double din DVD/bluetooth touchscreen, this freaking thing would make for a heckin treat. Took it on a 4hr drive for a camping trip two weeks ago, estimated hwy mpg was right on the money, and smooth sailing the whole way. need to find the OE fogs next and get a roof rack or receiver slapped on it. preparing a vehicle to possibly live out of may be a touch easier with this thing . . . assuming everything goes to absolute crap after all.

Attachments

• 20220606_084519.jpg
    20220606_084519.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 91
Scored a 2012 Mazda5 Sport MT. 89k on the clock, and even though it was bought in freakin Massachusetts, its living in TX now. rust isn't terrible, rear end susp components will most likely be replaced at some point, but i bought this thing to commute back and forth for offshore deployments. still can't stop geeking over the third row in this thing. honestly, after getting the windows tinted and swapping the OE head unit out for a cheapy double din DVD/bluetooth touchscreen, this freaking thing would make for a heckin treat. Took it on a 4hr drive for a camping trip two weeks ago, estimated hwy mpg was right on the money, and smooth sailing the whole way. need to find the OE fogs next and get a roof rack or receiver slapped on it. preparing a vehicle to possibly live out of may be a touch easier with this thing . . . assuming everything goes to absolute crap after all.

I read your message in texas accent.
Congratulations on your score, this kind is hard to find.

There are quite a few threads here about roof racks on Mazda 5. This is my favorite one. Personally, if I'd have sport trim, I'd go for this kind of solution. Cargo carrier / Roof rack?

There's a popular adaptation of a CX-7 roof rails info on this forum, search for it.
You can find one really cheap, I got mine here: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) -- IMO, they look OK from distance, and looking from a closer perspective you can notice imperfections; however, this notch actually is quite useful for a tie-up.
See pictures attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20220227_011835606.jpg
    PXL_20220227_011835606.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 124
  • PXL_20220227_011830273.jpg
    PXL_20220227_011830273.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
so i'm guessing the distance between attachment points is identical from the CX-7 to the Mazda5?
i'llllll be damned if it is, even if i'm a yakima fanboy, for no other reason than to put my next decal on this damn van

YAKIMAZDA!!!

so i'm guessing the distance between attachment points is identical from the CX-7 to the Mazda5?
i'llllll be damned if it is, even if i'm a yakima fanboy, for no other reason than to put my next decal on this damn van

YAKIMAZDA!!!
No, the CX-7 rack pictured requires cutting it to fit.
It's a very easy 15-minutes job, where you carefully measure the cut length, then drill new holes in the rails and screw them back to the base.
It's a very easy job, I think it was described in detail somewhere on this forum.
You can do it even with a cheap $1 hacksaw from dollar tree. ($1.25 actually plus tax :))
Also, keep in mind that the distance between the mount points in front and in the rear is different.
Also, if you plan to fully open the sunroof, you need a rubber riser for the front rail, otherwise there would be no clearance for the moonroof to open and slide back.

no problem there, sport trim *BECAUSE MANUAL BROOOO* so no sunroof to get in the way. and while I keep looking online, ebay and such for the Yakima setup, i'll probably go this route just to have a rack when needed.

@hleboklop dude . . . DUDE

50 freaking doll hairs and you're up and running when name brand racks for these things START at around 300$ one thousand blessings to you on this recommendation. maybe an hour worth of re-engineering, measure, cut, drill, tap. done and dusted with the best of them.

20220723_141218.jpg
20220723_141237.jpg

Back