New rattle of the day!

My MS3 08.5 GT has a mind of it's own when it comes to suspect noises/buzz/rattles.

This week I am a getting a special rattle that I have never heard before. I am pretty sure it's not a suspension or sway bar induced noise.

First I hear it when starting the engine, right when the engine ramps up to idle rpm. It sounds like a faint, slightly metallic rattle. From the driver position it seems like it's coming from the passenger side, but when I sit on the passenger side I can't hear it!? Picture a loose washer on a bolt, hidden somewhere. That's what it sounds like.

That wouldn't be so bad if that was it. But it also happens when the car jerks: gear shifts, bumps and potholes, those sort of things. On a smooth road it doesn't do it.

Eventhough it seems like it's coming from the passenger side, you never know. Sound propagation in cars can be deceptive. So I inspected the tool tray and the jack in the trunk and everything is tight. Didn't find anything suspicious in the engine bay either. I removed the Bose subwoofer, so I know it's not something that found it's way into the sound port. I don't have any loose change or misc items in the car.

Also I have already fixed the windshield chattering problem so it's not that (it doesn't sound the same anyways). I have driven with the glove box open, and didn't make any difference. Same with holding the p-brake release button.

I am just about ready to take the car apart because it's driving me nuts. The MS3 is a fine ride, but jesus this is killing all the fun of it.

Any ideas??

I had a rattle with the passenger side kick panel. The friction clip kept coming loose, so I put a pad of foam behind the panel and it seems to have fixed it.

Back