New Paint Job for the MP5 - Ideas?

Syzygy

Since we all know how the stock paint sucks, I'm considering a snazzy paint job for my P5. I'm considering a black or candy-apple red nose somehow slowly moving into the yellow as it sweeps toward the back of the car. The red would trend into orange prior to changing to yellow.

Has anyone seen something like this? Does anyone know of a site that has paint examples (pictures of cars)? How about suggestions on a great paint shop in the Phoenix area?

Thanks!

this may not be original....but....with a yellow car...WE have a golden opportunity to put a CLASSIC paint scheme on the car...and seeing as how you are talking about painting the nose anyway.....

DO FLAMES!!!! I only wish I could afford to have it done and done right....

it would go well with my bad ass flaming skull sticker!! lol

That sounds like an awsome idea --- The red/orange /yellow scheme. I am from Connecticut, but I do travel to Arizona to see family, and one of my highlights of my trip (sad but true) is to ride by (I think the name of the place is Kustom Kreations?? I could be wong) in Scottsdale. They always have nasty looking trucks out front. If they cannot do your paint job, they can probably point you in the right direction.

not necessarily BEST.....but they can look good if done right...course that goes for anything.....

with the kind of color we have...being bright and fairly light in color...it would be rather dificult to do what I consider the nicest flames...which are GHOST flames.....but you could do a classic set of flames that gan transition from red to orantge to yellow to white.....

in my PERSONAL opinion....the absolute BEST looking flames are usually put on a car with a dark base coat....however....its not a requirement....and NO ONE ever said that flames have to be red/orange/yellow/white either......those just happen to be classic flame colors.....I have seen flames done in MANY different transitioning colors.....

Flames

A friend of mine had a 1947 Studebaker truck that he and his dad did a frame off restore on... Brand new Crate Lt-1, 700r4, the works... But the paint job was so awesome.

It was Gloss black, with Midnight blue flames on the front, hood, and front quarter panels... Best looking combination I have ever seen.. He only had about 10 coats of clear coat too... lol.

(Syzyguy, I really think you should paint your car sunlight silver metallic. :p )

Syzygy said:
Since we all know how the stock paint sucks, I'm considering a snazzy paint job for my P5. I'm considering a black or candy-apple red nose somehow slowly moving into the yellow as it sweeps toward the back of the car. The red would trend into orange prior to changing to yellow.

Has anyone seen something like this? Does anyone know of a site that has paint examples (pictures of cars)? How about suggestions on a great paint shop in the Phoenix area?

Thanks!

the tuscan tvr's with chameleon paint scheme has something like that (at certain angles, the color changes)...same thing with the rx-7's with the montego blue...

if i was able to do a paint job, i would definitely get the whole thing gunmetal grey metallic

btw, the sunlight silver metallic color is our stock silver p5 color

My friend has his car painted in a color called Extreme Rainbow. I think He said it will change 5 differant colors depending on how you look at it. It usually looks blue or purple but when its sunny and he drives by it turns gold. Its really cool, but expensive. It is my favorite paint I have ever seen.

Todd

Syzygy said:

Naah...I like that color, but I've had too many silver cars already...

I was just messing around. I think the yellow base with some flames would be really unique... I have seen a dark blue base with yellow flames and kind of liked it before as well. :) Good luck with your decision!

How about this Syzygy

Wait until the MazdaSpeed Protege comes out. Go to a good body shop in your area. Have them order the Tangering Orange or whatever it is called and do your P5 in that. I would be willing to bet it would be the first!

Later if you wanted to add some type of graphics you could make it like a half-peeled orange.

I don't know. Just my $.02

Good Luck and keep us informed. We all like pictures!

How about this for a color combo and flame job...it's 95 gm metallic blue (patriot i think) and a gm metallic green.

Attachments

• mvc-405f.jpg
    mvc-405f.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 442
Re: How about this Syzygy

OurP5 said:
Wait until the MazdaSpeed Protege comes out. Go to a good body shop in your area. Have them order the Tangering Orange or whatever it is called and do your P5 in that. I would be willing to bet it would be the first!

Later if you wanted to add some type of graphics you could make it like a half-peeled orange.

I don't know. Just my $.02

Good Luck and keep us informed. We all like pictures!

have you seen that color in PERSON? I have....and I don't like it....its NOT a deep orange like SOME pictures would lead you to believe.....you couldn't pay me to paint one of MY cars that color.

There's 2 chameleon colors that are out now which change colors as the car moves to different angles...

The first one is the blue/purple/green/red/gold... it's actually anywhere from 14 to 16 colors mixed together, depending on the quality of the paint that the body shop uses. It's more on the blue/purple/green side than anything else... the other colors are more like accents that appear and disappear very subtley. It's great to watch the car drive by as the colors change. Very eyecatching! Plus, imagine a cop trying to write your car's color description on a ticket! LOL... It's originally a color from Mustang Saleens, I think. My friend had his MR2 painted with it and it was pretty cool. I think I might be able to get a pic of that this weekend and I'll post it for you to see.

Recently, they came out with a second version of the same type of paint. This one only changes within the warm color range - orange/yellow/red/gold. I drive by this house that's got two cars parked in front of it and they're both done with matching paint jobs. That one is newer and I think I like it better.

There are a few body shops in L.A. that I know can do this type of thing... I don't think it's too long of a drive to make for a quality job.

Your other option is to do full body vinyl graphics, which, if done properly, are cmpletely removable when you get sick of your design. My friend at Cookie graphics did flames on his car. The cool thing about them was that they were done with glow in the dark/reflective vinyl so that at night the flames really glowed! That should only be about 150 to 200 to do - much cheaper than a paint job. Plus the vinyl up front protects from at least minor chips and scratches.

the only thing i don't like about the camelon paint jobs is the price. the second color dragonfly was talking about the oragne/yellow/red/gold color is just about $4500 for a gallon. The mustang saleen's color is that bad but close enough, for a quality paint job in that color i'd say probably 5,000-6,000 dollars. How much did your friend pay to have his mr-2 done dragonfly?

My friend with the extreme rainbow paint paid, I think about $4000 for 1 litre. He paints cars for a living so he did it himself. I think he said it would cost about $6000 if he was to do someone elses car. I am estimating. I can ask him the exact figurs, but this is a ball park figure.

Once I was reading an Euro tuning mag that featured a GC-chassis WRX wagon with custom fabricated 22B-style wide fenders and everything that came in a colour I'm quite sure they referred to as inverted chameleon. That was damn hype. To be honest, I can't tell much of a difference from regular chameleon, except it seemed very green and yellow with tints of blue and purple instead of the more blue-ish colour I see on show cars in North America. But then again, chameleon paints are supposed to change colour, so how am I supposed to say what it looks liek anyways? :)

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. That chameleon paint seems wildly pricey, though. And how do you match it when fixing nicks? Not too likely.

Also, the vinyl sticker route may not go over well with temps reaching over 110 degrees F. Any info on this?

one of the guys i used to work for had vinyl mini flames on his PT crusier and durango. down in the southeast here it gets pretty warm...some days up around 104-105 in the summer. He never had any problems and had the decals mounted around the hood of both.

Back