New owner of 2007 CX9 strange front end noise

2007cx9

I just registered and am looking for help. I've seen some helpful info on here before and finally decided to register. I have a 2007 CX-9 AWD that my wife mainly drives and as well as myself every once in a while. We really like the vehicle. Here's my problem that I hope someone can help us out with. We have a strange noise coming from the front right wheel area. It happens while maintaining speed at about 28 MPH and comes in and out as you coast to a stop. The sound is like a growling grind. It is hard to explain. It only does it under 30 MPH and while slowing down the pitch changes concurrently with speed. I can feel it with my feet too, both while driving and while riding in the passenger seat. I'd just like to do some research so I have something to stand on next time I go to the dealer. I took it to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they concluded it was the tires. I still have the original tires with 27K on it. I do agree with them that I need new tires and plan to get some. After I get new tires I'm going to see if the noise is still there and if it is, I will be going straight back to the dealer. I had the do a 4 wheel alignment too, which really helped the ride. This noise however just doesn't sound like a tire.

Has anyone heard this noise on theirs? Is there anything I can do to help diagnose or pinpoint the problem. Any help is appreciated.

I just registered and am looking for help. I've seen some helpful info on here before and finally decided to register. I have a 2007 CX-9 AWD that my wife mainly drives and as well as myself every once in a while. We really like the vehicle. Here's my problem that I hope someone can help us out with. We have a strange noise coming from the front right wheel area. It happens while maintaining speed at about 28 MPH and comes in and out as you coast to a stop. The sound is like a growling grind. It is hard to explain. It only does it under 30 MPH and while slowing down the pitch changes concurrently with speed. I can feel it with my feet too, both while driving and while riding in the passenger seat. I'd just like to do some research so I have something to stand on next time I go to the dealer. I took it to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they concluded it was the tires. I still have the original tires with 27K on it. I do agree with them that I need new tires and plan to get some. After I get new tires I'm going to see if the noise is still there and if it is, I will be going straight back to the dealer. I had the do a 4 wheel alignment too, which really helped the ride. This noise however just doesn't sound like a tire.

Has anyone heard this noise on theirs? Is there anything I can do to help diagnose or pinpoint the problem. Any help is appreciated.

It could be the differential or maybe the transfer case. In general that is what a growling sound would be in an AWD or 4WD vehicle.

Get your new tires and show the dealer that the sound is still there. I think they're trying to string you along until you're out of warranty. Get this resolved soon.

got new tires... guess what?
noise is still there. Those tires were crap though. I'm getting the pull to the left syndrome too. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow. I'm going to get a couple TSBs and bring those with me, at least the one for the PULL/Drift. The thing seems to want to follow every crack in the road. I will call them and update the status here.
I drove the vehicle in the snow and it seemed everything worked the way it should. I did turn right once and seemed like the rear wheels took too long to kick in, but other than that it was ok. Braking on the other hand was hit or miss. Seemed like the ABS was way too sensitive. Anyway, that's another issue.
The front end just seems like it is a big mess. I hasn't been in a wreck either. The dealer seems ok, just a little hesitant to do the work. I think I need to just do my homework and I'll be fine. Is there any other advice anyone has that would give me a little more solid ground to stand on? Thanks so far. This forum is great!

Last edited:
A hub maybe? 2007s had a few hub issues.

Following the road grooves is the tire, though. Multi radial groove tires do that.

Well, you would think different tires would do different things. not in this case. It pulls to the left just as described in the TSB. It feels "unsafe" in my opinion. I've never had a vehicle follow the road like this one. It is very characteristic of what is explained in the TSB. Brand new tires with exact pressures don't cause this. Also, the wheel is slightly turned to the left while going straight; was something I forgot to mention.
Does anyone have an 07 and had the TSB worked on? I'll try to find the link, but the bulletin number is 02-003-07.

resolution?

Well, they are ordering a transfer case for it. Hopefully that's it. they'll have it Friday so that's when I take it back again. Anyone know how much a transfer case for one of these is? I'm thinking NOT CHEAP!

Well, another member (don't remember who) had to replace the tcase out of warranty and I think they listed the price in that thread.

got it back

they replaced the transfer case and it really drives nice now. I think it is the best ride I've ever had in a vehicle. The noise is gone and it really rides the way it is supposed to now. (alright)
I asked them to fix the steering because the steering wheel was pointed to the left while going straight. The fixed it alright. Now it points to the right. (dunno)
Silly dealer tech. At least I know they can fix it. Hopefully now he know that he needs to go half as much and maybe it will be centered. (headshake

I also have some strut mounts on order to take care of some creaking in the front suspension. Supposedly they changed the stabilizer bar bushings, but that really didn't take care of much of it.

Thanks for the help from you too btw. I really appreciate it.

Strut mounts and stabilizer bushings wont cure the creaking noise. If you paid for them get a refund, if you are going to pay for them, dont.

The noise comes from the actual bump stops that "should" glide over the strut's rod when compressing. The problem is that the bump stops are either made of a material that does not glide smoothly on the shaft or they are way to tight to glide on the shaft. The cure for this is a simple squirt of white lithium grease or dielectric grease on the top and bottom of the bump stop.

Jack up your CX-9 and lift the dust boot that covers the bump stop squirt some grease. Lift the bump stop and squirt grease on the bottom part as well. Glide the "now" smooth bump stop up and down to lubricate and distribute the grease on the strut rod/shaft. Repeat this process on the opposite side (left or right) and voila! no more annoying noise/sound.

Since this part is somewhat exposed to water/snow/other external elements this procedure may have to be re done when/if noise comes back. Hope this helps!

Just an update, and sorry been I've been away for a bit:

I have an appointment for tomorrow. I need to get the dang wheel straight anyway, so they might as well do the mounts. Its all under warranty so I'm good.

Its all good now. we've been driving it for a couple of weeks or so now and it is really nice. They ended up lubing those bump stops. They got the wheel straight too. Drives like new! We are very pleased.

Thanks for the help everyone. You've helped a lot!

At the time I had my transfer case replaced the quoted price was $5400.

Yes, I was in shock at that price. In the mean time, apparently, Mazda decided that price was, um, how shall I say, unacceptable to owners. The last time I checked the quoted price had been cut in about half for the transfer case.

For reasons that have never been revealed, 2007 models had issues with transfer case failures. It appears that whatever the problem was it has been fixed. I've not seen similar failures or any complaints on newer CX9s.

At the time I had my transfer case replaced the quoted price was $5400.

Yes, I was in shock at that price. In the mean time, apparently, Mazda decided that price was, um, how shall I say, unacceptable to owners. The last time I checked the quoted price had been cut in about half for the transfer case.

For reasons that have never been revealed, 2007 models had issues with transfer case failures. It appears that whatever the problem was it has been fixed. I've not seen similar failures or any complaints on newer CX9s.

Maybe the $5400 is if a customer pays for it outright. I have the invoice and it must cost Mazda 2400. I'll have to go dig it out again but that is what I remember on the invoice. 3000 for labor? Hmmmmmmmmmm. Is this an indication of how much they mark up repairs at the dealer? If so, then why would anyone take their vehicle to the dealer for service? ....after the warranty is expired?

I'd like to see everyone else with a 2007 that's had their transfer case replaced or serviced chime in.

Yes, $5400 was the price to the customer, not what the dealer paid for the item. $2400 is the current retail price. Consistent with what I said about the price dropping to about half of what it had been.

As for the $3000 labor I'd have to say doubtful. If you assume a $100/hr shop rate that's 30 hours. My transfer case was replaced in a day and a half by my dealer. Based on shop rates in these parts that's around $960. Definitely not cheap but, considering that most of the right side suspension has to be disassembled to remove the transfer case I can understand the time and cost.

Back