New owner (maybe?) + Recall Notice!?

I cannot believe that I bought one yesterday and they issued the recall today. Bastards waited until the first of the month to get those last sales in.

hmmm I really wonder about the 2013's

Maybe the recall will apply to all CX-5's, but the stop sale lists 2014-2016 because there are no more 2013's available, but some 2014 got lost in the back lot of some dealer?

Stop sales usually apply to used vehicles as well.

I have 2016 CX-5 GT purchased in Jun 2015. When I enter the VIN on the site it says there are no pending or reported recalls. However the memo itself says it affects 2016 models.

What's going on?

I don't think the recall has been issued yet. There's a "Stop Sales" in preparation for a recall. I'm sure the dealerships just LOVE this... they have hundreds of thousands of dollars of stock on their lots that they can't sell, and have no instructions yet on how t fix so they CAN be sold...

"The company says it knows of no reports of accidents or injuries related to the recalled vehicles."

I suspect I will live through this

It states:

"According to Mazda, the fuel filler pipe on the CX-5 could rupture during a rear collision, possibly resulting in fuel leakage."

During a collision it could rupture, resulting in a leak. I'm not worried about it. Life is too short to be worried about all the WHAT IF'S

What if I fall down the stairs? What if a deer jumps out on the road? What if I eat something that gives me food poisoning?

I have 2016 CX-5 GT purchased in Jun 2015. When I enter the VIN on the site it says there are no pending or reported recalls. However the memo itself says it affects 2016 models.

What's going on?

"what's going on" is this was just announced on 2/1, less than 24 hours ago. Eventually the various recall tracking websites that allow you to enter your VIN and see pending recalls will show this issue too; if it affects your car. For everyone who is asking if anyone has heard from Mazda yet--how could they? It hasnt been 1 full day. Mazda would have to send someone to your house and ring your doorbell. Relax. We have been driving these cars since late 2012. My 2013 CX-5 was hit in the rear end and no Pinto-like explosion. I'm still here. My current 2016 GT seems like it might be a part of this issue, but I'm not going to panic. Too many other ways I could die. Cant worry about them all.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mazda-issues-two-recalls-includes-a-stop-sale-for-cx-5-104208.html

"The second recall issued by Mazda involves all CX-5 vehicles from Model Year 2013 to 2016. According to the safety report filed by the automaker with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the fuel filler tube could rupture during a rear collision, and it could potentially leak fuel in such cases. Mazda wants to be sure it will not sell any units that need a recall, so they’ve issued a stop sale order on the CX-5 to address the problem as quickly as possible. Fortunately, there were no reports of accidents or injuries related to the issue targeted by the recall. Most likely, Mazda discovered this fault through internal testing and quality control."

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mazda-issues-two-recalls-includes-a-stop-sale-for-cx-5-104208.html

"The second recall issued by Mazda involves all CX-5 vehicles from Model Year 2013 to 2016. According to the safety report filed by the automaker with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the fuel filler tube could rupture during a rear collision, and it could potentially leak fuel in such cases. Mazda wants to be sure it will not sell any units that need a recall, so they’ve issued a stop sale order on the CX-5 to address the problem as quickly as possible. Fortunately, there were no reports of accidents or injuries related to the issue targeted by the recall. Most likely, Mazda discovered this fault through internal testing and quality control."

Shouldn't this be common sense lol? Of course a rear collision could cause fuel to leak. That can happen to any make/model car. A Goggle search indicates recalls affecting other makes in the past due to rusted out/degraded fuel filler tubes. That's not the case here. They're talking a rear collision causing a physical rupture of a (metal?) part.

That said if simply a rear fender bender can cause it then that's one thing. The description just reads like a rear end collision MAY cause leakage. At that point you just go get it repaired upon smelling fuel/inspection by auto body shop. This recall just seems a bit vague to me. Its like saying front windshield may break upon front end collision.- What a minute, Mazda give us thicker windshield glass LOL!!!

That said if simply a rear fender bender can cause it then that's one thing. The description just reads like a rear end collision MAY cause leakage. At that point you just go get it repaired upon smelling fuel/inspection by auto body shop. [/B]

I suspect they are worried about leakage during the impact where a spark could ignite leaking fuel. I don't think it's an odor issue.

I think it says a lot about Mazda that they are being so proactive about this. Stopping sales of (what I think) is their most popular model has got to hurt.

Shouldn't this be common sense lol? Of course a rear collision could cause fuel to leak. That can happen to any make/model car. A Goggle search indicates recalls affecting other makes in the past due to rusted out/degraded fuel filler tubes. That's not the case here. They're talking a rear collision causing a physical rupture of a (metal?) part.

That said if simply a rear fender bender can cause it then that's one thing. The description just reads like a rear end collision MAY cause leakage. At that point you just go get it repaired upon smelling fuel/inspection by auto body shop. This recall just seems a bit vague to me. Its like saying front windshield may break upon front end collision.- What a minute, Mazda give us thicker windshield glass LOL!!!

The fuel tank has a one way check valve that prevents fuel from sloshing up the filler tube. Perhaps this valve can be damaged if the filler tube moves in a certain way.

I think it says a lot about Mazda that they are being so proactive about this. Stopping sales of (what I think) is their most popular model has got to hurt.
You are too generous. Corporate America isn't proactive for the customer benefit - they are being proactive for liability concerns. Remember that we live in the Land of Litigation.

If they continue to sell the vehicle while they "know" about the problem, and someone gets rear ended, goes to the back of their car to sniff the gasoline, lights a cigarette and throws the butt into the puddle of gas - then Mazda might get sued.

Anyway, this hurts the small dealerships sitting on inventory they can't sell quite a bit more than it hurts Mazda...

You are too generous. Corporate America isn't proactive for the customer benefit - they are being proactive for liability concerns. Remember that we live in the Land of Litigation.

If they continue to sell the vehicle while they "know" about the problem, and someone gets rear ended, goes to the back of their car to sniff the gasoline, lights a cigarette and throws the butt into the puddle of gas - then Mazda might get sued.

Anyway, this hurts the small dealerships sitting on inventory they can't sell quite a bit more than it hurts Mazda...

Perhaps. But don't forget about the many recalls that have been issued only after deaths or injury have occurred, sometimes still only after arm-twisting.

Agreed. In addition. it's not "Mazda might get sued", it's "Mazda will get sued"! See GM's ignition switch scandal.

Since I just purchased my CX-5 about 2 weeks ago I figured I would give my dealer a call. Honestly they were pretty clueless at this point. Said they are waiting to hear from Mazda on how to proceed which makes perfect sense. As far as issuing me a loaner car in case I was uncomfortable driving my new car (which I am not) they were unsure about doing that until I bring the car in for a fix. And as I said since I am fine with driving it I certainly wasn't going to press the point.

It makes sense now that 2013 is included.

Not too worried about this. Worse case scenario is an inconvenience. Best case scenario we get a new, improved fuel tank. Most likely scenario, Mazda installs a new, improved fuel filler hose on their dime.

Perhaps. But don't forget about the many recalls that have been issued only after deaths or injury have occurred, sometimes still only after arm-twisting.
Many recalls initiated by NHTSA is caused by owner complaints to NHTSA website as the manufactures may not know the specific problem. This one would be voluntary recall initiated by manufacture.

Oh wait, those complaints to NHTSA website may be "a disinformation campaign" and they are useless data...

Back