New Owner and trunk question

mikejefferies

:
2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring
Went car shopping and a green Mazda2 caught my eye. Drove it, loved it and bought it. It's a 2011 Touring Automatic. 21K miles. Just wondering if there are some essential beginner mods that I should look into - maybe change the antennae? I did a search on the forum, but there is just alot of info and it looks like it is for lots of different levels of expertise. Also is there a kit to add a light in the trunk? Was getting out groceries tonight, and I couldn't see a thing.

There should be a light on the right side of the trunk. It can be shut off by a switch, but it's very possible the bulb is out. If you have a dead bulb replace it with http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/festoon/de3175-led-bulb-4-smd-led-festoon/238/ It is wickedly bright and completely worth the cost.

As far as essential mods, it really depends on what you're going for. Is this just a DD, weekend AutoX, canyon carver, planning boost, slamming it, v8 swap, rolling DJ booth...all depends on what you want to do.

It's a daily driver, just want it to look a bit sportier than stock, with maybe a tad performance boost.

I would suggest looking into CorkSport accessories for minor engine mods (air intake, exhaust system and the like.) They have good products and their customer service is awesome. They also sell lighting kits that replace the stock bulbs with LEDs that are a lot brighter and crisper than stock.

There are a few different brands of coilover kits and springs that will lower the car a little bit and make it look sportier. I'm ambivalent about doing it myself because I already struggle with not having enough ground clearance thanks to the roads around where I live sucking and there being half a foot of snow on the ground.

New tires are good for a performance boost as well. The stock rubber is good for a DD, but there are better options out there, depending on how much you want to spend.

As utmorpheus implied, it's obviously good to have some sort of focus in mind if you do mod your car. To my mind, we already have one of the best cars to drive in the class, and I wanted to make mine look sharp while also making it more civilized with various gadgets and accessories that other cars in the class have (the '2 is a bit basic, but it is a lot lighter than a Fiesta or many others in the subcompact segment).

For both of our 2's I installed a stubby antenna from a CX-7, the rear bumper guard and factory splash guards. We also got WeatherTech hatch liners and man, they're worth every penny...they fit perfectly.

So I was thinking about buying the OEM splash guards but they are $63 for front two and $63 for the back two? Is this ideal price for OEM?
Sure not purchasing at that price... has anyone tried off brands and been successful?

My husband's 3 has that shark fin antenna I'm guessing cause of the Sirius. He doesn't like the antenna that is going to be on my 2. What do you do when you go through a car wash? I am getting a Mazda 2 in a couple days.

Last edited:
LOL about the car wash. I forgot the first time and its one of those gattling gun type washes. Everything was fine until the dryer mode and the antenna started making a whipping noise. I expected the worse but on examination no scratches or damage was noted. The next time I removed the antenna. No problem. Yesterday I forgot and it was to late to remove it. Nothing happened, no noise, nothing. I think the position or angle which is as far up in the angle as possible resulted in no noise. BTW have tried stubbie antenna's and reception seemed not as clear. Live in a suburban area 20 miles from Boston.

Well the car wash by my house has a touchless and one with brushes side by side I didn't realize it but I just so happened to choose the touchless one. I've heard their not good to use though.
Also I forgot but I got my truck open once and now I forgot how i know it's stupid but I couldn't get it open the other night to put my groceries in. Thank my back doors are child proof didn't know how to get them unlocked. [emoji30]

Last edited:
Back