New MP3 owner

LikeJIF

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3 Blue
Hello all,
My name is Tom and I am new to the Mazda scene, i just bought a 2001 Blue MP3 and I co own it with my girlfriend. MY car currently is a 2004 Subaru WRX STi in Java Black Pearl so it is a totally different platform. I have drove the Mazda now for 2 days and really enjoy it (handling is great). I have a few plans for it although minor. The former owner put 74k miles on it (low) but it needs a few things which I will need this forums help with. The interior is pretty much immaculate other than the center console and a lil ware on the shift knob but the rims are ate to $#!+ and one of them is missing the center cap. Also the Subwoofer that they came with is missing. So my plans are to find a center cap, reinstall a subwoofer (against my girls wishes (wink)) and have the rims refinished, then maybe down the road supercharger or turbo it. I have to get used to the lack of power it has for the time being. Anyway I will keep an eye out for reply's and thanks for your help with these things. Glad to be apart of the Mazda Familia hahaha (JDM knowledge).

Tom

You can get the MP3 center cap from the dealer for around $35. Its part number BN7H-37-192. If your local dealer sucks, I suggest onlinemazdaparts.com for OEM parts. They're awesome. Low prices, fast shipping, great customer service.

Post up a WTB ad in the marketplace about the sub, I bet a bunch of people have theirs just sitting around unused and they'd love to get some money for it.

And this car is definitely no STi. It does handle very well but it certainly lacks in the power department. However a little bit of boost goes a long ways.. just don't get your hopes TOO high about making big power. Stock internals are only good for a max of 10 psi with all the supporting mods, but it's still a ticking time bomb even then. If you forge the internals then the transmission is gonna hate you and you get in this vicious cycle of spending wayyyy too much money on a car that will never be insanely fast. It can be quick and fun, but it won't spank the streets.

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way. You should post up some pics so we can see her (the car not your gf).

Welcome. ;)

Proper supporting mods are a must for any boost application. The rods are like toothpicks. But ya, the fs-de is slow. The car is made for taking corners not straights, for sure.

I actually have 2 extra MP3 wheels and I could sell you, if you're interested. I have 1 extra center cap as well. If you want it, I'll go pull the box out that it's sitting in.

KrayzieFox, Thanks for the part # I think I will probably take ucMP3 up on his offers if shipping doesn't kill me on the rims. I really don't want gobs of power for it as my girl will be drivnig it mostly and the STi will do for the power itch. I would like something in the way of a supercharger if they make them for it. Simple add on with a bit more umph from the peddle. Oh and I am originally from Salem, NW born & raised and went to school at McKay H.S. back in the 90's.

Welcome :)

Like most said, It can be quick and fun. I'm hard headed and I'm sure I'll learn my lesson soon, but I love the cars uniqueness so much I plan on taking it one step further.

If you want 3 or 4 steps further, then look up (Mazdaspeed2oo35) for more information. ;)

GL and have fun with her.

KrayzieFox, Thanks for the part # I think I will probably take ucMP3 up on his offers if shipping doesn't kill me on the rims. I really don't want gobs of power for it as my girl will be drivnig it mostly and the STi will do for the power itch. I would like something in the way of a supercharger if they make them for it. Simple add on with a bit more umph from the peddle. Oh and I am originally from Salem, NW born & raised and went to school at McKay H.S. back in the 90's.

Supercharger Build

Last edited:
Thanks NocturnalSpeed, I am just south of ya, I'm sure you have probably seen some of my team mates up there. I am apart of the Sun*Works Crew, if not check out our forum at teamsunworks.com. And I really like the uniqueness also especially that there were only 1500 made. I plan on keeping it pretty much stock and hopefully in good condition if my girl will allow it. Oh I read a lil of the supercharger link and not sure if I want to remove to A/C so I may have to look for another route to get some HP.

Ok so I was going thru the threads on here and found one that has the cars and their production #, where do I find this so I can enter mine on the that thread. Thanks
Tom

Ok so I was going thru the threads on here and found one that has the cars and their production #, where do I find this so I can enter mine on the that thread. Thanks
Tom

Call up Mazda. They can look it up for you w/ your VIN.

If you want FI, then you will be going turbo as installing a SC is definitely not a bolt-on option.
Have fun with your new car :)

Actually there's a bolt on kit for sale in the threads right now. Unfortunately, you have to give up your A/C.

Do yourself a huge favor and DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER a turbo on this car. Get it out of your mind now.

There is just no point when you consider how much it costs for such a little return in performance. Been there done that.

There is a good reason just about everyone that ever made a turbo kit for this car is out of buisness or gave up on it.

Welcome aboard!!! another TX member. I would have more to say but everyone else has pretty much said it all..lol

Back