New Mazda5 Owner Checking In

Anyone have seal issues with the rear hatch? I know of some cars with notoriously bad seal issues on the rear hatch and letting tons of water in(Honda Fit).
I was getting a car wash today and opened the rear hatch to get my towels and stuff out and noticed the back of the lift and carpet was damp and could see water/soapy solution on the carpet too. I tried looking around with the lift open and checking to see where it could be coming from.
It looks like the previous owner had an issue too since I could see he had tried to use silicone to fill the gap of the window with the third brake light under the spoiler.
I checked some other forums and saw some mention the rear wiper rubber insert. I looked and I am missing the rubber grommet. So I'm gonna see if I can get something from the parts/hardware store that can fit in it/cover it.

Attachments

• PXL_20220402_173837095.jpg
    PXL_20220402_173837095.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 123
  • PXL_20220402_173831932.jpg
    PXL_20220402_173831932.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 124
To help fight molding issues until you can find the leak, look under the spare tire. If you have any water in there, pop out one of the plugs to let the water drain out. And leave it out.

Anyone have seal issues with the rear hatch? I know of some cars with notoriously bad seal issues on the rear hatch and letting tons of water in(Honda Fit).
I was getting a car wash today and opened the rear hatch to get my towels and stuff out and noticed the back of the lift and carpet was damp and could see water/soapy solution on the carpet too. I tried looking around with the lift open and checking to see where it could be coming from.
It looks like the previous owner had an issue too since I could see he had tried to use silicone to fill the gap of the window with the third brake light under the spoiler.
I checked some other forums and saw some mention the rear wiper rubber insert. I looked and I am missing the rubber grommet. So I'm gonna see if I can get something from the parts/hardware store that can fit in it/cover it.

I’d do a bit more investigation. Clean everything up and then try and have someone spray water at the door while you sit inside. You may need to pull the door panel off the inside of the door to get a good look at it. Make sure the door gasket is in good condition and making contact all the way around.

To help fight molding issues until you can find the leak, look under the spare tire. If you have any water in there, pop out one of the plugs to let the water drain out. And leave it out.
I looked under and everything was dry. Seemed like the water only got a spot of the carpet cover wet but none went below.

I’d do a bit more investigation. Clean everything up and then try and have someone spray water at the door while you sit inside. You may need to pull the door panel off the inside of the door to get a good look at it. Make sure the door gasket is in good condition and making contact all the way around.
The rubber seal looks to be in good condition. Looked over the seal and it had some small knicks just from wear, but they were very small. When the inside of the hatch was wet it was mainly on the lower half of the windshield and down the back. I checked the third brake light panel and its completely bone dry with no signs of moisture ever being in there.
I will try and take off the main rear panel to see if I can pinpoint it. But I'm sure it's mainly from the rear wiper. I ordered a rear wiper delete since I couldn't find anything that would work at hardware store, and the actual rubber seal is going for $25-35.

Attachments

• PXL_20220406_215127289.jpg
    PXL_20220406_215127289.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 120
  • PXL_20220406_215240410.jpg
    PXL_20220406_215240410.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 116
  • PXL_20220406_215249023.jpg
    PXL_20220406_215249023.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 118
I looked under and everything was dry. Seemed like the water only got a spot of the carpet cover wet but none went below.

The rubber seal looks to be in good condition. Looked over the seal and it had some small knicks just from wear, but they were very small. When the inside of the hatch was wet it was mainly on the lower half of the windshield and down the back. I checked the third brake light panel and its completely bone dry with no signs of moisture ever being in there.
I will try and take off the main rear panel to see if I can pinpoint it. But I'm sure it's mainly from the rear wiper. I ordered a rear wiper delete since I couldn't find anything that would work at hardware store, and the actual rubber seal is going for $25-35.

Gotcha. Yeah, could have a bad gasket on the wiper easily. Some don’t like rear wipers, but I personally think they’re crazy. Biggest annoyance with my newer honda sedan that replaced my Mz3. No rear wiper.

Got my first CEL during ownership, P2177 System Bank 1 Lean. I have been noticing a smell coming from the exhaust around the driverside door when I exit the car after driving. I took it to the Muffler Shop near me and they said they couldnt find any signs of an exhaust leak on the car. We did notice that the heat shielding around the catalytic converter had mostly disintegrated itself and somehow the thin metal sheeting had pushed itself up toward the upper O2 sensor plug and wire. But other than that everything looked fine. Mechanic just recommend running some Seafoam in my next tank. If the issue persist than I could possibly need a new O2 sensor.

The CEL first came on while I was at work all day, so I didnt have my scan tool. I took it to AutoZone to get a quick code read, but when they hooked it up, they said it wasnt showing any codes, even with the CEL still on the dash. Weird, but I just said whatever and figured I could scan it when I get home later that night since the car was driving fine. The CEL ended up going away that evening.

Yesterday the code popped up again, but this time I had my scan tool on hand and pulled the P2177 code. And again the CEL turned off after a little bit of driving. I havent noticed any change in how the car is running, but I went ahead and put the Seafoam in today when I filled up this morning.

Back