New horns Hella TwinTone TE 16 110 dB

:
Mazda CX-5 KF 2018 TS+ LP
Today i mounted a new set of Hella horns € 26,00 $ 33,78.
Hella TwinTone TE 16 110 dB.

Remove the plastic piece around the hoodlock, by removing the plastic clips (2pcs) then slide it towards you.
Now remove the plastic clips from the bigger plastic piece (4pcs) remove the smaller plastic clips (3pcs).
And unscrew the phillips screws (4pcs).
Drill out the rivets (4pcs) to get easy access to the original horn (right side ) and negative ground and bracket (left side).
Take the plastic piece under the air intake away, and slide it towards the engine.
Now you have plenty of room, for the job.
Then wire the left horn + and - , connect the - to the left bracket and bolt on the new horn.
Lead the cable 2 x 1,5 mm2 to the right side (original horn) in the middle(under the hoodlock) is a bracked to tie up the cable.
Cut off the original connector, and wire the right horn.
Now bolt on the new right horn.
Wiring diagram http://www.griotsgarage.com/text/pdf/77573.pdf

Dont know yet what to do with the now missing rivets, maybe plastic clips (because of the oval holes in the metal piece).

I, am very satisfied with the new sound.
LISTEN, OR TRY OUT ANOTHER SET OF HELLA HORNS ! http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/horns/

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you. I had a body shop friend look at the car and see how to take off the whole bumper to just install a horn. He said there had to be an easier way, so I said I would look further. And along you come with the solution. :)

Thanks for this info - I followed your procedure and installed two Sickspeed 118 dB horns in my 2014 GT. Used plastic clips to replace the rivets.

Hi, jtcx5
Never heard off Sick Speed.
But it are nice horns, similar like the Bosch horns.
What colour horns did you buy ? ( picture ? )

Gr. Karl

Bought blue horns from amazon.com about $30. I am trying to attach a picture below (apologies if it doesn't get there)

CX5.JPG

sickspeed horn

hi jtcx5..question..was gonna install Sickspeed 118 db horn on my 2014 GT aswell...how long did it took for installation and what other parts did u had to buy..can u give me some idea...lastly, how does it sound?????thanks

thanx for the very good intructions...

Today i mounted a new set of Hella horns 26,00 $ 33,78.

Remove the plastic piece around the hoodlock, by removing the plastic clips (2pcs) then slide it towards you.
Now remove the plastic clips from the bigger plastic piece (4pcs) remove the smaller plastic clips (3pcs).
Drill out the rivets (4pcs) to get easy access to the original horn (right side ) and negative ground and bracket (left side).
Take the plastic piece under the air intake away, and slide it towards the engine.
Then wire the left horn + and - , connect the - to the left bracket and bolt on the new horn.
Lead the cable 2 x 1,5 mm2 to the right side (original horn) in the middle(under the hoodlock) is a bracked to tie up the cable.

Dont know yet what to do with the now missing rivets, maybe plastic clips (because of the oval holes in the metal piece).

LISTEN, OR TRY OUT ANOTHER SET OF HELLA HORNS ! http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/horns/

Thanx for the info.....quick question..does cx5 has 1 existing horn w/2 wres or 1 existing horn w/1 wire?????am thinking of installing myself ....thanx for sharing....

hi jtcx5..question..was gonna install Sickspeed 118 db horn on my 2014 GT aswell...how long did it took for installation and what other parts did u had to buy..can u give me some idea...lastly, how does it sound?????thanks

I bought were plastic fasteners to replace the rivets, and some 12 gauge wire and those automotive metal spade-type connectors, both female and male (not sure what they are called). Take the horns to the store to get the matching connectors. You have to drill the rivets out, but all other plastic fasteners can be re-used. Overall, it is a pretty fast procedure, maybe 1-2 hours to do everything depending on your technical expertise (including cabling).

Be patient and careful, as the items that you are taking apart are not meant to be taken apart very many times - plastic can get deformed or broken.

You have to build two "Y" cables to fan out the ground wire on the left to the two horns and also to fan out the control wire on the right to the two horns.

The one thing that I wish I did better was to put some additional protection for the wires. I just crimped on the connectors but should have put something over them.

thanx

I bought were plastic fasteners to replace the rivets, and some 12 gauge wire and those automotive metal spade-type connectors, both female and male (not sure what they are called). Take the horns to the store to get the matching connectors. You have to drill the rivets out, but all other plastic fasteners can be re-used. Overall, it is a pretty fast procedure, maybe 1-2 hours to do everything depending on your technical expertise (including cabling).

Be patient and careful, as the items that you are taking apart are not meant to be taken apart very many times - plastic can get deformed or broken.

You have to build two "Y" cables to fan out the ground wire on the left to the two horns and also to fan out the control wire on the right to the two horns.

The one thing that I wish I did better was to put some additional protection for the wires. I just crimped on the connectors but should have put something over them.
thanx alot...i should be able to do it myself with ur guidance ...

installed new twin tone hella horns

Today i mounted a new set of Hella horns 26,00 $ 33,78.

Thanks alot Wheelie...I just finished mounting my hella horns with your help....and it sounds alot better and louder, will surely get attention
from other drivers.....awesome...thanx again wheelie.....

Is it possible you post a video of how it sounds like
I am strongly considering getting this as well (but black, more subtle) but if it sounds too generic I might opt for something else.

Back