New guy here, saying hello

USMS3

:
MazdaSpeed3
Hey whats up everybody, I just bought a new Speed3 about 8 weeks ago and I love it to death. I havent put any bods on it yet and plan to start with an Autobots sticker (yes, stickers make cars go faster.... LoL) but I thought I would check out a few Mazda forums and so far this one has seemed to be the best I have found yet.

Any advice on a good first mod that wont cost me an arm and a leg??

Oh yeah, a little background on me. Im 21, from Modesto, CA but I am a US Marine stationed on Camp Pendleton in San Diego. Being in the military, I dont make much money so you will often hear me asking for CHEAP advice - get used to it. LoL
DSC_0149.jpg

Last edited:
Merry Christmas and welcome to the forums! You made a wise choice with the Speed3, I think you'll be happy.

As far as money for mods, you seem to have some nice shiny medal's there, why not just sell them for some extra scratch? ;) I'm sure some of my marine friends would buy those off you, haha. Seriously though, I dont know a lot about mods specifically for the MS3, but a turboback exhaust is every turbo drivers best investment right out of the box, followed by a Manual Boost Controller (MBC), turbo timer, and hardpipes/intake. After that and you're gonna be looking at some real money. If you're happy with the power where it is, I personally feel that new wheels are an absolute neccesity for that car, and those velocity red hatches with black wheels and tint are just so fine.

actually, not to contradict, but our car has a very nice exhaust from the factory. Turbo back is going to run you over a G and net you maybe 30 HP. If you want something cheaper, go with a new intake. you can go for a cold air for around 300 or a short ram for less than 200. The intake will get you some power and you'll be able to hear the turbo and bypass valve, which is fun. You'll defininitely want to get a boost gauge too for when you start playing with boost levels. plus they look cool!

Congrats on the new car, and welcome!

Congrats on the new ride and thank you for your service Marine.

Nice touch having your blues hanging in the back :)

Welcome aboard...I agree that you should get a intake=$200-$300,motor mount $70-$85,aluminum shifter bushings $35 and a test pipe $135-$200.All this should run about $500 and you will get your moneys worth.These really are must haves for our cars.IF you plan on getting a new exhaust dont bother with a cbe becuase our stock exhaust is fine,You will have to go with a tbe if you want more power.

Hey whats up everybody, I just bought a new Speed3 about 8 weeks ago and I love it to death. I havent put any bods on it yet and plan to start with an Autobots sticker (yes, stickers make cars go faster.... LoL) but I thought I would check out a few Mazda forums and so far this one has seemed to be the best I have found yet.

Any advice on a good first mod that wont cost me an arm and a leg??

Oh yeah, a little background on me. Im 21, from Modesto, CA but I am a US Marine stationed on Camp Pendleton in San Diego. Being in the military, I dont make much money so you will often hear me asking for CHEAP advice - get used to it. LoL
DSC_0149.jpg

welcome to the forums, best color by the way, true red FTW!

I like to call it "hooker lipstick red" when describing it to my friends, but thats just me. ;) LoL

Whats the dif between a CBA and a TBA?? I know the terms, but how much dif do they make?? Also, now that I know the best peices, where should I look and not look? Is there a site/company who will rip me off more or less than another, or does it all pretty much depend on how much I WANT the part and how much I am willing to pay??

Thanks for the welcomes you guys do seem to be the COOL Mazda board, afterall. ;)

Mazda3online.com will give you as good a deal as anywhere.

A catback replaces everything behind the cat, which is really just piping and the muffler. A turboback will give you a new downpipe and cat as well, which is where your biggest gains will come from. If you get a turboback, the only thing left to replace is the exhaust manifold and the turbo itself.
I recommend shift bushings as well, they will really give you a crisp feel.

Back