New Forum

:
2022 2.5GT
Sorry if it’s already been said but the new forum seems to work quite nicely. It’s faster than the previous (although it did crash like the old one did when I first opened it - maybe my iPad?). I like the “like” facility and the easy access emojis. The old problem I had with apostrophes being replaced with an asterisk seems to have gone and it certainly looks brighter overall. Well done is my first impression.

I wish it still had signatures, but otherwise, I like this new forum.

Haven't tried it on mobile yet though. Was really missing Tapatalk for the past few months when it got turned off.

Thank goodness the signature feature is gone!! Absolute waste of space it was. (y)

Testing on mobile. This guy was in a tree alongside our home on Thanksgiving day.

Attachments

• 61401A35-94F9-4D5F-B11F-10CB99B98A7A.jpeg
    61401A35-94F9-4D5F-B11F-10CB99B98A7A.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 72
Testing on mobile. This guy was in a tree alongside our home on Thanksgiving day.
Pretty cool.

I can hear owls on my property but rarely see them.

Have a bunch of hawks. Actually saw a mating fight a couple of years ago right above my house.

I wish it still had signatures, but otherwise, I like this new forum.

Haven't tried it on mobile yet though. Was really missing Tapatalk for the past few months when it got turned off.
How did you get the "Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌" verbiage below your avatar? I looked & looked and did not see the function in my profile area. This is the main part I thought was missing...the ability to tell folks which car we have to lend context to the comments & questions.

The other thing I miss is having part of the comment show in my "Reply Has Been Posted" notification email. I liked being able to tell if I wanted to come to the site and read more. But this is a minor inconvenience.

How did you get the "Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌" verbiage below your avatar? I looked & looked and did not see the function in my profile area. This is the main part I thought was missing...the ability to tell folks which car we have to lend context to the comments & questions.

The other thing I miss is having part of the comment show in my "Reply Has Been Posted" notification email. I liked being able to tell if I wanted to come to the site and read more. But this is a minor inconvenience.

It was a carryover from the old forum.

That weird text though used to be an emoticon. I'll have to figure out how to change it now.

It was a carryover from the old forum.

That weird text though used to be an emoticon. I'll have to figure out how to change it now.
I don’t think you can change it yourself, at least you can’t on any of the other 8000 forums that have been converted to this platform. Every single one of them that I belong to lost features, in some cases MANY features, and on at least a few of them users are unhappy and flocking away in droves.

Anyway, you’re probably going to need an admin to change your avatar subtext.

Funny, my subtext didn't carry over.

Perhaps mine was entered in a different location than yours.

Regarding losing members: It seems silly to me that people would be a member of an enthusiasts forum and leave it because some previously-offered features were lost. I come here to learn and to interact. I'm not gonna leave because I can no longer have a signature or post my location under my avatar. Functionality and reliability issues are a different matter, but I believe this platform is an improvement on those basics.

I gotta think that if a format change drives people away, it's likely more a case of "The Final Straw" than the causal issue.

Regarding losing members: It seems silly to me that people would be a member of an enthusiasts forum and leave it because some previously-offered features were lost. I come here to learn and to interact. I'm not gonna leave because I can no longer have a signature or post my location under my avatar. Functionality and reliability issues are a different matter, but I believe this platform is an improvement on those basics.

I gotta think that if a format change drives people away, it's likely more a case of "The Final Straw" than the causal issue.

Completely agree. The only forum I really stopped visiting following a migration to a new platform was overclock.net, a computer enthusiast forum.

Not only were features lost or broken for months, the ownership changed and the forum suddenly became ad ridden and it slowed down immensely. They also stopped enforcing a lot of the rules that held members to a professional decorum and that just made the forum not feel as good and higher quality as it used to combined with the other problems. I still log on every now and then, but not daily like I used to.

I think that's not just me as the activity definitely dwindled.

Depends on the subject matter, whether it’s more social or subject-specific, and what alternative forums might be around to pick up the slack. And how much of a change there is from old format to new. This forum in its former state was pretty generic with not a lot of customizations or extra user features, so the change was almost transparent here. That is not always the case.

Depends on the subject matter, whether it’s more social or subject-specific, and what alternative forums might be around to pick up the slack. And how much of a change there is from old format to new. This forum in its former state was pretty generic with not a lot of customizations or extra user features, so the change was almost transparent here. That is not always the case.

I've been a mod/user support guy on vBulletin forums. As you likely know, there are a lot of built-in features that can be turned on & off or tweaked. I think this one will get tweaked. Off the bat, I find it annoying that I've messed up in a post here and the window on being able to edit closes real quickly...minutes or maybe an hour. I don't think the other format ever prevented going back and fixing something no matter how much time had lapsed.

On the plus side, this one seems to offer more visibility to advertisers, so might command a higher fee (which keeps us afloat).

I was gonna make the same point that you did: if there are a ton of sites covering that generic subject, then the threshold to bail is pretty low. Gotta love competition, huh?

Back