New CX5 Owner impressions/questions

I think you somehow managed to find the worst possible review of the Forester 2.0XT in existence. NO other review is so bad.

Reviews do vary. But listening to you, one might get the wrong impression that the Subie is objectively better when it comes to over all performance. But none of the road tests show that. So, just where does this "objectively better" all around performance claim come from?

It's way more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

Not true, today's sports cars are built with multiple driving modes from economy, comfort, to sport. You can drive a sports in normal slow mode and it feels like any other car, switching to sport when you want to have fun. Trying to drive a slow car fast when it wheezes to accelerate passing is not fun. Driving a slow car fast is not safe when you can't accelerate fast enough to get out of danger. Most people I encounter are cruising between 80 and 90 on the highways where I live and you either keep up or get run off the road! Nobody buys a CX5 because it's a rocket. It's a nice looking fuel efficient cheap CUV with a minimal amount of amenities even loaded. Put the 2.5 turbo in it and it would be an all purpose blast vehicle to drive.

Turbo chargers are great power adders but I question their long-term reliability and maintenance costs. It's just been the past couple of years that manufacturers are moving towards turbochargers as the mainstay to make more power but still pass emissions and mpg standards.

Time will tell which manufacturer and their turbocharged vehicles are reliable. The 100,000 mile test will show the truth. I have a feeling blown head gaskets, a seized turbo, bad waste gates, etc. will start rearing their ugly heads.

I have known plenty of people who romp on a turbo car only to pull into the garage and turn it off while the turbo is red hot. This surely spells a short life for it. I had a diesel truck and it had a temp gauge that would allow it to run idle until the turbo cooled off and then the vehicle was allowed to turn off.

Myself, I prefer naturally aspirated in a daily driver. Turbochargers and superchargers are great but in low mileage, weekend driven sport cars or daily driver diesel engines (turbo).

Last edited:
Reviews do vary. But listening to you, one might get the wrong impression that the Subie is objectively better when it comes to over all performance. But none of the road tests show that. So, just where does this "objectively better" all around performance claim come from?

From equal handling, better braking, and much better acceleration, based on Edmund's.

Turbo chargers are great power adders but I question their long-term reliability and maintenance costs. It's just been the past couple of years that manufacturers are moving towards turbochargers as the mainstay to make more power but still pass emissions and mpg standards.

Time will tell which manufacturer and their turbocharged vehicles are reliable. The 100,000 mile test will show the truth. I have a feeling blown head gaskets, a seized turbo, bad waste gates, etc. will start rearing their ugly heads.

I have known plenty of people who romp on a turbo car only to pull into the garage and turn it off while the turbo is red hot. This surely spells a short life for it. I had a diesel truck and it had a temp gauge that would allow it to run idle until the turbo cooled off and then the vehicle was allowed to turn off.

Myself, I prefer naturally aspirated in a daily driver. Turbochargers and superchargers are great but in low mileage, weekend driven sport cars or daily driver diesel engines (turbo).

Turbo's are more heat, and more parts.This is part of why I went CX-5 for my beater, as well. I want ultra-reliable. I want cheap and effective. I want a long-term daily/beater.

Here is where my Mazda and I went tonight. Fjorded the flooded little creek (about 10 feet across and maybe 10" deep or so) with ease.

ip9tzd.jpg

Turbo's are more heat, and more parts.This is part of why I went CX-5 for my beater, as well. I want ultra-reliable. I want cheap and effective. I want a long-term daily/beater.

Here is where my Mazda and I went tonight. Fjorded the flooded little creek (about 10 feet across and maybe 10" deep or so) with ease.

ip9tzd.jpg

Mama Mia! Hope you're fine!

My personal opinion about Turbos. The manufacturers are helll bent on increasing MPG. So, they make smaller engines, more advanced engines. But it lacks horse-power, torque, etc., etc. Consumers are little devils. They want high mpg + power. So, the manufacturers decided to add a small little turbo into the mix. Now, with smaller engines, they can get power. Next in line (when costs decrease) -- maybe a carbon fly-wheel. Who knows? Bottom-line: Yes, they add power but with premium gas going $.50 more than normal + the suspected maintenance issues, I would rather go for a non-turbo V6 if I am really interested in power. That $.5 can be attributed to lower mpg. Net same but much stable vehicle. Just my $.5 cents here...:)

My personal opinion about Turbos. The manufacturers are helll bent on increasing MPG. So, they make smaller engines, more advanced engines. But it lacks horse-power, torque, etc., etc. Consumers are little devils. They want high mpg + power. So, the manufacturers decided to add a small little turbo into the mix. Now, with smaller engines, they can get power. Next in line (when costs decrease) -- maybe a carbon fly-wheel. Who knows? Bottom-line: Yes, they add power but with premium gas going $.50 more than normal + the suspected maintenance issues, I would rather go for a non-turbo V6 if I am really interested in power. That $.5 can be attributed to lower mpg. Net same but much stable vehicle. Just my $.5 cents here...:)
It's driven by CAFE/EPA

In addition the front end feels like it is "drifting" or "tramlining" a bit at normal speeds on straight roads. I am correcting with slight movements of the wheel,but it is a bit distracting.I would guess tires? The Toyos have plenty of tread left,but not sure what else could be causing the slight drift. I am considering new tires along the lines of the Continental Extreme Contact.

I am having the same issue with my recently purchased 2015 AWD. Lots of tiny corrections, all the time. For me it's most noticeable at higher speeds - really have to steady the wheel with both hands when winding on the highway.

I can't quite put my finger on it. The tread on my Geolanders is equal all round.

I am having the same issue with my recently purchased 2015 AWD. Lots of tiny corrections, all the time. For me it's most noticeable at higher speeds - really have to steady the wheel with both hands when winding on the highway.

I can't quite put my finger on it. The tread on my Geolanders is equal all round.

The ruts formed by studded tires can cause this. Does it do it on new pavement also?

I have not had that issue. Alignment might be off. It's not at all uncommon for that to be the case, especially since they strap these down on a boat. I know the GTO's in the mid 2000's actually had their suspensions ruined by that practice.

Not true, today's sports cars are built with multiple driving modes from economy, comfort, to sport. You can drive a sports in normal slow mode and it feels like any other car, switching to sport when you want to have fun. Trying to drive a slow car fast when it wheezes to accelerate passing is not fun. Driving a slow car fast is not safe when you can't accelerate fast enough to get out of danger. Most people I encounter are cruising between 80 and 90 on the highways where I live and you either keep up or get run off the road! Nobody buys a CX5 because it's a rocket. It's a nice looking fuel efficient cheap CUV with a minimal amount of amenities even loaded. Put the 2.5 turbo in it and it would be an all purpose blast vehicle to drive.

You're overthinking this.

It's unusual to find a situation in which you can take a Lamborghini anywhere near its limits. With a Miata, it's a lot easier. I'm sure the Lamborghini doesn't have settings that reduce its limits to somewhere near those of a Miata.

The problem is less noticeable with new Extreme Contact Continentals I just put on last week,but just slightly there still.Roads with grooves seem to increase the issue. I thought it might be wind pushing the vehicle around for awhile,but not sure. I was going to do an alignment with the new tires,but when they put it on the rack all the indicators were in the "green",so I left it alone.

You're overthinking this.

It's unusual to find a situation in which you can take a Lamborghini anywhere near its limits. With a Miata, it's a lot easier. I'm sure the Lamborghini doesn't have settings that reduce its limits to somewhere near those of a Miata.

Exactly. BTDT with supercars vs. regular sports cars, and the regular stuff is more fun on the street, IMO

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2014-subaru-forester-limited-xt-first-test/
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2014-subaru-forester-20xt-arrival/
http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/forester/2014/road-test-2/

The worst lateral acceleration I could find was 0.77g's from Edmunds, who is typically the most conservative of road-tests. They rated the CX-5 at 0.77, as well, and also noted worse braking and much slower acceleration.
http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2016/road-test-specs.html

I think you somehow managed to find the worst possible review of the Forester 2.0XT in existence. NO other review is so bad.

From Edmunds 2016 road test of the Forester

If there's one real drawback to the 2016 Subaru Forester, it's that it doesn't do a whole lot beyond the rational to woo you. Shoppers seeking classier interiors or more engaging on-road manners may find the 2016 Ford Escape and 2016 Mazda CX-5 more to their liking, while the 2016 Hyundai Tucson provides more visual panache.

Look. I like the Scooby Doo, I really do. And I'll certainly say its a better off road vehicle and with the turbo a better high altitude vehiclebut its most certainly not the supercar you keep claiming it is. Now, excuse me, I'm bowing out of this pissing contest

From Edmunds 2016 road test of the Forester

If there's one real drawback to the 2016 Subaru Forester, it's that it doesn't do a whole lot beyond the rational to woo you. Shoppers seeking classier interiors or more engaging on-road manners may find the 2016 Ford Escape and 2016 Mazda CX-5 more to their liking, while the 2016 Hyundai Tucson provides more visual panache.

Look. I like the Scooby Doo, I really do. And I'll certainly say its a better off road vehicle and with the turbo a better high altitude vehiclebut its most certainly not the supercar you keep claiming it is. Now, excuse me, I'm bowing out of this pissing contest

I certainly wouldn't call it a supercar. I don't think I ever did.

Hello Everyone,

New 2016 CX-5 owner here! Since I began driving in 1963, I have owned 31 cars, almost all new. Within this bevy of beauties and beasties were three new Mazdas: 1995 Miata (Classic Red), 1995 626 (Platinum Mica), and 1999 Miata (Emerald Mica). After doing the requisite "butt test" in a number of other 2016 models (including CR-V, RAV4, Tucson, Rogue, Q3), my only tough decision regarding whether or not to purchase a CX-5 Grand Touring AWD (with TECH and i-ACTIVESENSE packages) was a color choice: Soul Red or Titanium Flash Mica, both with the parchment interior. We (my lovely wife and I) chose Titanium Flash. Zoom Zoom towards retirement from university teaching . . . away I go! I hope to visit this group often and learn much as well as share some personal auto experiences when I'm able.

Regards,
Dr. Jim Schwartz (almost Ret.)

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

New 2016 CX-5 owner here! Since I began driving in 1963, I have owned 31 cars, almost all new. Within this bevy of beauties and beasties were three new Mazdas: 1995 Miata (Classic Red), 1995 626 (Platinum Mica), and 1999 Miata (Emerald Mica). After doing the requisite "butt test" in a number of other 2016 models (including CR-V, RAV4, Tucson, Rogue, Q3), my only tough decision regarding whether or not to purchase a CX-5 Grand Touring AWD (with TECH and i-ACTIVESENSE packages) was a color choice: Soul Red or Titanium Flash, both with the parchment interior. We (my lovely wife and I) chose Titanium Flash. Zoom Zoom towards retirement from university teaching . . . away I go! I hope to visit this group often and learn much as well as share some personal auto experiences when I'm able.

Regards,
Dr. Jim Schwartz (almost Ret.)

Congrats, and congrats on almost being out of the healthcare field! I'm smack in the middle of my career in it, and envy you! However, I can always fall back on waiting tables, and have threatened to do so many times before to myself, lol!

Congrats, and congrats on almost being out of the healthcare field! I'm smack in the middle of my career in it, and envy you! However, I can always fall back on waiting tables, and have threatened to do so many times before to myself, lol!

Lol my wife's an RN and feels the same way.

Back