New CX-9 Grand Touring/Tire Concerns

What you said on this thread: I heard the duelers didn't do that badly in snow

What you said on the other: Absolutely worthless tires even on dry

Those 2 statements obviously contradict each other. If they are worthless on dry, they can't be "didn't do that badly in snow".

Btw, I just noticed you said "... heard ...". Have you ever driven the CX-9 with stock tires on snow??

I'm not twisting any of your words. I'm simply asking for clarifications. I did not make up those statements. I copy and pasted them from your own posting.

Pretty strange for a forum mod to call another member an ass. How old are you? 9?? Or 19?? 29?? I doubt you are much older than that.

Let me know what I said that you find it proper to call me an ass.

Hmm ... aren't you a forum mod?? I thought I saw something to that affect beside your username in the past. Maybe it was someone else.

Last edited:
If my intent was malicious, I would have started calling you names, big liar being one of them.

Whether you believe it or not, I just wanted clarification from you. I've seen you replying to almost every posts on this forum. So I know you have good intentions. But when I see every post about the Duellers being outright dangerous and everyone should replace them immediately is just not giving the tires a fair evaluation.

Do you think Mazda would put such tires on a big SUV like the CX-9 when they know most folks who buy them probably live in a snowy area? The same folks who are clueless about AWD and only knows SUV == Get out of my way while I'm driving when it snows

Some folks do report issues with them in snow. On ice, I don't think anything can help you much esp when all corners are driving on ice (ok .. I probably opened up an old can of worm on this - waiting for the Canada guy to tell everyone to ignore this as my real world experience driving on dedicated snow tires are not relevant).

But they are others who either from their driving style OR snowy road conditions do not have issues. Otherwise, we'll hear more accident reports and NHTSA will open up an investigation on out of controlled CX-9 while driving on slush/snow/ice or god forbid dry pavement at 20k miles.

I'm convinced! I'm getting the 25k mile Duelers on my 2007 CX9 replaced next week with the Paradas. Can't wait to find out first-hand how much this improves driveability...:)

I cant see these tires lasting over 25k with a treadwear around 260 or so. I will not wait 25k because I am sure they will be with limited tread by that time and I do not wait that long to change tires anyway

That's good to know! I've always been just a little annoyed at the amount of torque steer. Of course I'm used to driving a RWD Miata when I'm not hauling kids or other stuff in the "ole niner". I never imagined driving something that's FWD and weighs almost 2 tons could be fun, but Mazda's done a decent job with the CX-9...

Bridgestone OEM CX9 Tire Issues

Got my CX9 AWD Grand Touring in Novmeber '07. Great car bad tires. December "08 had an accident in school parking lot. Going under 10MPH slid into back of another car, did minimal damage to CX9 front-end but $1000+ damage to rear bumper of other car. Tires have 24K now and are cupped inside. Will replace before winter even though I will be out of Buffalo NY snow and in Florida. Thanks to all who shared their experiences. I will replace with Toyo since they seem to be most reasonably priced in Western NY market. Any advice or reason not to get the Toyo?
Ken

Toyos are great tires. I've always had great luck them. Having said that, I've mostly pruchased "TPT" series for the family cars and "T1R/S" for the performance cars.

Well, I've only had the Paradas on the ole niner for a week now, but what an improvement! They're quieter, a lot smoother over cracks, bumps, and potholes, and the annoying "bump-steer" is almost totally gone! I sure wish these are what were on this when I bought it in February of 2007. Anyway, I'm looking forward to giving them a much more thorough eval on our upcoming trip to Michigan in July. It will also be interesting to see how they do this winter compared to the Duelers. Just glad I didn't wait any longer to replace the OEM tires...

Personally, I don't buy tires based on "brand" alone. Each brand has low-end tires, the cheapie. I also try to avoid Michelin because they are good but over-priced in MHO.
I usually go be users' review on tirerack.com and consider the price to strike a balance.
Yoko Parada Spec-X is great based on the said criteria.
I have 18K on the odometer, and the OE still have 50% thread left.
Painful to wait......

So isn't there usually something wrong with the suspension or shocks if tires are cupped? I had a Montero Sport that had the worst cupped tires I've ever seen and when I took it in for an alignment they said they couldn't even do one for reasons that escape my memory. Just thinking if there is something wrong with the suspension and you run out and spend $800 on a set of new tires you might end up with the same cupping problem....

Ok.. I like the numbers on the 245/50R20 Michelins, but what would be the advantage of getting the 255's either in the Michelins or Parada? A little wider..better handling.. a smidgen higher in sidewall... but not enough to ruin things.. And what about the V rating of the Michelins.. I'm not worried because I don't plan on driving 130mph..
Craig

I just spoek with a tire guy about the size question. He said that based on the tire wear that I have and the load of the vehicle, that the 255/50 would be the better way to go. He said that the 255/50 in the Michelin has better load carrying numbers, speed rating (H), and once properly aligned would give the better overall scenario for wear, performance, mpgs, etc.. I don't know if he's bllowing smoke up my tailpipe, it's just what he said.
Craig

I just got home from geting 4 new Michelin Latitudes 255/50/r20 on my CX-9 AWD. So far they are awesome. These are the tires that should have come on a car of this size, weight, and cost. The 255's have a higher load rating which is very obvious in just a few miles of driving.. The alignemtn is also critical. My tire guy tightened the spec to accommodate the wider tire. I'll keep you guys posted with what I find as I drive! Yes, I did the navi calibration.

Craig

Hi Craif-CX9, so hows the ride with the 255/50R20? Do you have any issue with your speed meter?

If you have the Navigation system, you can reset the car to recalibrate for tire change automatically through the menu interface. Press the button and drive around for 10 minutes then all is good.

I just spoek with a tire guy about the size question. He said that based on the tire wear that I have and the load of the vehicle, that the 255/50 would be the better way to go. He said that the 255/50 in the Michelin has better load carrying numbers, speed rating (H), and once properly aligned would give the better overall scenario for wear, performance, mpgs, etc.. I don't know if he's bllowing smoke up my tailpipe, it's just what he said.
Craig

If I may ask, what was the damage for your new shoes?

Hi Craif-CX9, so hows the ride with the 255/50R20? Do you have any issue with your speed meter?

Of course there are "issues" with the speedo, if the laws of mathematics still apply.

I did the calculations before the Parada came out in the OE size, the difference was like 3% lower than actual speed, it's the least amount of inaccuracy possible while using an off size. If you're doing 60, your speedo will read 58. The difference becomes material when you go to 22" wheels and tires, etc.

See for yourself:

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp?item=

Back