New CX-5 Owner! Is this where I get to mutually obsess with others about it?

Xoqo

:
2016 CX5 AWD
I'm on cloud nine with this car. I haven't bought an actual new car in well over a decade, and I've always owned sedans. I have two sons who I regularly take camping and the sedans just weren't enough anymore. Started searching for a used CX-5 and found their resale was so high that I might as well buy new. During the test drive the car had me at hello. As we turned out of the dealership there was a dip and had to make a sharp right and accelerate with oncoming traffic. I would compare the feeling to that of playing football, planting my left foot, and lunging in a new direction. Amazing!

I bought an All Wheel Drive model. The sales guy seemed to think that was unnecessary, although he was pretty new. He explained that it only activates when poor traction is detected. I plan to comb these forums for thoughts on this and how well it works. Maybe it was unnecessary, but I liked it for some added off-road capability, as well as handling winter weather.

Anyway, pleased to find this place. Maybe I'll calm down and shrink back away, but right now if feels like I'll be more like Cameron's dad from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Just sitting in the garage and rubbing my car with a diaper every day.

I'm on cloud nine with this car. I haven't bought an actual new car in well over a decade, and I've always owned sedans. I have two sons who I regularly take camping and the sedans just weren't enough anymore. Started searching for a used CX-5 and found their resale was so high that I might as well buy new. Interesting. I bought mine (2015) used with 27K miles on it for about $5K under MSRP, and got $2K over KBB "Good" for my trade-in...which was a Chrysler with issues, lol! During the test drive the car had me at hello. As we turned out of the dealership there was a dip and had to make a sharp right and accelerate with oncoming traffic. I would compare the feeling to that of playing football, planting my left foot, and lunging in a new direction. Amazing! I was impressed with how it performed for a 4 banger. I initially just drove it because I hated my JGC, and needed "out". I begrudgingly accepted that if I was going to buy a cheap vehicle, it should be cheap to operate, and that meant a 4-cylinder. Low and behold, it MOVES! for a 4-cylinder SUV!

I bought an All Wheel Drive model. The sales guy seemed to think that was unnecessary, although he was pretty new. He explained that it only activates when poor traction is detected. I plan to comb these forums for thoughts on this and how well it works. Maybe it was unnecessary, but I liked it for some added off-road capability, as well as handling winter weather. Salesman was right. However, I have found that it makes cold, wet roads with gravel on them VERY transparent. I hate FWD, because when you punch it...sometimes nothing useful happens. AWD, or RWD, is where it's at for me. Also, when it ices up, AWD is much better than FWD/RWD for people like me who have no use for snow-tires because of where we live since we don't feel like changing them every day. AWD was a good call!

Anyway, pleased to find this place. Maybe I'll calm down and shrink back away, but right now if feels like I'll be more like Cameron's dad from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Just sitting in the garage and rubbing my car with a diaper every day.

ROFL! It's a competent little CUV for sure. I think Mazda hit a home run with it.

ROFL! It's a competent little CUV for sure. I think Mazda hit a home run with it.

Thanks for the perspective. I probably could have found a better deal on a 2015, but my initial search showed about a $3K difference, so I used it as an excuse to throw caution to the wind. Regarding AWD, I am thinking the psychological benefit of knowing it's there during winter weather will make it worth it.

So, wheres your first roadtrip to?

No idea. Most of my significant travel involves planes. Right now I'm just excited for everyday driving. I've got about a 25 mile commute to and from work each day. Going to try to master all the new gadgets.

During the test drive the car had me at hello. As we turned out of the dealership there was a dip and had to make a sharp right and accelerate with oncoming traffic. I would compare the feeling to that of playing football, planting my left foot, and lunging in a new direction. Amazing!

Well put! I like it.

I bought an All Wheel Drive model. The sales guy seemed to think that was unnecessary, although he was pretty new. He explained that it only activates when poor traction is detected. I plan to comb these forums for thoughts on this and how well it works. Maybe it was unnecessary, but I liked it for some added off-road capability, as well as handling winter weather.

The CX-5 AWD works great. I've used it in truly challenging conditions, both snow/ice and off-road and I have zero complaints. That said, winter rubber is more beneficial in snow/ice than any AWD system. Here's a short video I made of a hill climb using the half worn out Geolanders in the wet. The first attempt failed when I high-centered on the sharp lip at the exit but you can see the rear wheel facing the camera is trying to find some traction. Second attempt was successful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCROYEK1DM

Where do you live? Enjoy the new car!

Last edited:
Well put! I like it.

The CX-5 AWD works great. I've used it in truly challenging conditions, both snow/ice and off-road and I have zero complaints. That said, winter rubber is more beneficial in snow/ice than any AWD system. Here's a short video I made of a hill climb using the half worn out Geolanders in the wet. The first attempt failed when I high-centered on the sharp lip at the exit but you can see the rear wheel facing the camera is trying to find some traction. Second attempt was successful:

Wow! That is a great video! It is more ambitious than I was envisioning. Great to see the AWD in action! I live in KC and we get a fair amount of winter weather. When camping rain can make for some questionable surfaces in the woods. Nice to see that the CX-5 can stand up to less than ideal conditions.

Well put! I like it.

To be fair, Geolanders are absolute trash, and came off as soon as I got the car.

After three weeks with the car, I'm still finding reasons to jump in the car just to drive it..it's such a different ride than the boxy Sorento I traded in.....
my wife is getting suspicious as to where I'm always going...(drive)

After three weeks with the car, I'm still finding reasons to jump in the car just to drive it..it's such a different ride than the boxy Sorento I traded in.....
my wife is getting suspicious as to where I'm always going...(drive)

Hey, that's great! And what could be more important than the way it drives?

Hey, that's great! And what could be more important than the way it drives?

The fact that it's not a POS and won't fall apart. I really miss how my Jeep drove in comparison, but I don't miss the maintenance! (or the fuel bill!)

The fact that it's not a POS and won't fall apart. I really miss how my Jeep drove in comparison, but I don't miss the maintenance! (or the fuel bill!)

No doubt the CX-5 is more reliable and has better engineering. But it also has much more sportiness than a Jeep Cherokee so I imagine you prefer more of a plowing feeling in the corners vs. the nimbleness of the CX-5.

No doubt the CX-5 is more reliable and has better engineering. But it also has much more sportiness than a Jeep Cherokee so I imagine you prefer more of a plowing feeling in the corners vs. the nimbleness of the CX-5.

The jeep was flatter in corners and more stable in long sweepers, but it didn't respond as quickly as the CX-5. It had a ton more power though, and was over a second faster 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile, so it had a different feel. I personally liked a bit more stability and a lot more power. But that power cost me a lot of $$ at the pump. Feeding a HEMI aint cheap!

Good day today. That i-drive thing is incredible. A few rough edges but mostly worked great. The headlights are insane as well. Light up the whole world bright. And of course I'm enjoying all the entertainment and rear camera stuff that I've never had before. Saying "Play Pandora" is just cool as can be. My only real gripe so far is no plug-ins in the back. My old car had that and my two sons would charge their phone/iPods. Not a huge deal but was nice. This just has two USBs in the front and a cig lighter outlet in the center console.

But not gonna dwell on that cause everything else is amazing. I feel the vehicle has all the pick-up I need. Love the feel of driving it! And it's badass looking, to boot. Black on black. Calling it "Vader". Still need to get a good pic taken.

Oh, and my wife was laughing at me for sitting in the car for an hour after I got home. My 12 year old jumped in and we went for a drive around the neighborhood. Good times!

Okay one more thing. Apparently the car can detect and call out "Red Light Cameras". I'm guessing this is common knowledge, but I was kind of shocked. The driver-side speaker would fade out and she would say, "Red Light Camera Approaching". Not just a car, a partner in crime!

(outie)

Congrats man! I am in the same boat. I just got my 2016 cx5. I picked it up yesterday. I am excited to have AWD for the New England winter. My friend has a cx5 an it handled like a champ in the snow. It turns very will even in a large amount of snow. I got the blue reflex mica. Will be plasti-dipping the stock alloy wheels black. Installing HID headlights, led fogs, led daytime running lights.

Any mods planned for your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats man! I am in the same boat. I just got my 2016 cx5. I picked it up yesterday. I am excited to have AWD for the New England winter. My friend has a cx5 an it handled like a champ in the snow. It turns very will even in a large amount of snow. I got the blue reflex mica. Will be plasti-dipping the stock alloy wheels black. Installing HID headlights, led fogs, led daytime running lights.

Any mods planned for your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks and congrats to you, too! No mods planned at this time. I kind of splurged (a lot) on the initial buy. There just happened to be one on the lot with just about everything that I fell in love with, so "Vader" has the 19 inch wheels which are partially black, tinted windows, fancy LEDs, etc. I'm not sure what I would add. Maybe a high performance air filter? Are those still a thing? I'm not the biggest car guy. I will seriously probably be driving this thing until 2030 if nothing terrible befalls be before then. So main thing for me will be taking care of it and obsessively maintaining it.

I definitely recommend installing LED interior lights to replace the yellow halogen bulbs. Some folks like the yellow look, but I think the LED bulbs looks amazing and really make the interior that much crisper looking. Plus it'll cost you less than $10 with a little searching on amazon. Congrats on the ride though!

I definitely recommend installing LED interior lights to replace the yellow halogen bulbs. Some folks like the yellow look, but I think the LED bulbs looks amazing and really make the interior that much crisper looking. Plus it'll cost you less than $10 with a little searching on amazon. Congrats on the ride though!

Do you have any pictures of these? Wondering how much of a difference the interior LEDs would make.

Back