2017~2024 New CX-5 lease - no Nav card or Tow Hook (really?)

The tie down hooks don't go into the bumper, they go into the frame. What do you think would happen if it was attached to the bumper in heavy seas in the Pacific?
They at least control the angle at which the load pulls, and have some notion of what the anchor points will experience in transit.

I suspect Mazda wants to be clear that they don't endorse customers using those points, so its proceed at your own risk.

One thing I've noticed with the 2nd Generation, compared to the first, is that the bumper around the eyelet cover, is painted with Mazda's exotic and fragile paint. In the 1st gen, it was black plastic.

So its much easier to do expensive damage (scratching or worse to Soul Red Crystal painted surfaces) on the 2nd Gen.

I lost the driver's side rear eyelet cover on mine :(

⋯ One thing I've noticed with the 2nd Generation, compared to the first, is that the bumper around the eyelet cover, is painted with Mazda's exotic and fragile paint. In the 1st gen, it was black plastic.

So its much easier to do expensive damage (scratching or worse to Soul Red Crystal painted surfaces) on the 2nd Gen.
Covers for tie-down eyelets on my 2016 CX-5 are painted with bumper color, not black plastic.

I lost the driver's side rear eyelet cover on mine :(
Strangely I’ve seen several reports of losing tie-down eyelet cover on gen-2 CX-5, which is not happening on gen-1 CX-5. Someone who lost the cover may just took yours at his convenience. 😠 As far as I know you can only get an unpainted plastic cover and paint it by yourself.

Covers for tie-down eyelets on my 2016 CX-5 are painted with bumper color, not black plastic.

Strangely I’ve seen several reports of losing tie-down eyelet cover on gen-2 CX-5, which is not happening on gen-1 CX-5. Someone who lost the cover may just took yours at his convenience. 😠 As far as I know you can only get an unpainted plastic cover and paint it by yourself.
I meant to specify "rear".

I bumped a bike carrier on the back of a prius with my rear bumper, probably damaged the snap tab, although it wasn't apparent.

The blank I bought fits and stays put. I bought a "custom" painted one, they tried twice and its still much ligher than the rest of the car. Mail order, so impossible to do a proper match.

The tie down hooks don't go into the bumper, they go into the frame. What do you think would happen if it was attached to the bumper in heavy seas in the Pacific?
Well I am assuming the hook isn't the ONLY thing keeping the car from moving.

Just wanted to mention that the 30 dollar NAV card I got from eBay worked like a charm on our new Miata. We plugged it in and it all loaded up automatically.

Last edited:

yrwei52,
My Mazda6 hit a deer in the dark 2 yrs ago and it ran away.
When I got home, I found the eyelet cover missing along with small damages to the front bumper.
I went to the dealer, and got a replacement. It was unpainted. :(

I meant to specify "rear".

I bumped a bike carrier on the back of a prius with my rear bumper, probably damaged the snap tab, although it wasn't apparent.

The blank I bought fits and stays put. I bought a "custom" painted one, they tried twice and its still much ligher than the rest of the car. Mail order, so impossible to do a proper match.
Follow-up. Got a pre-painted replacement from overseas. $20 delivered, took about 3 weeks to arrive.

Matches much better than both iterations from much more expensive domestic "painted OEM Parts".

Not sure about 2021 models, but with 2022 models in USA, only Signature comes with Nav SD card. You can buy one from dealers or onlines and plug it in. It works just fine.
(I got a Turbo model, which is one model below Signature in US)
I agree. Sign recognition, and more icons in the dash, speed limits, etc.... a lot of information comes alive.

Tow hooks? It depends on your dealers.
When I got my '14 Mazda3. They stayed next to the spare tire.
With my '16 Mazda6, '17 CX5 and now '22 CX5, no tow hooks.
Dealers must have kept them. Maybe Mazda corporate advises dealers to do that.
You can ask your selling dealer for them. They likely will give them to you if you ask.

Which of your previous cars had tow hooks?
Not the OP, but I'm on my 6th Mazda. Every single one save for my B3000 has had one in the jack area, and this is going back to 1992. And the B3000 didn't have one, simply because it's completely unnecessary on a pickup.

Back