new car

WildMride

:
Mazda, Miata 1995
On monday im going with my parents to look at a silver NB for them since they are giving me the NA and i wanted to know what i should look at on the car any signs of abuse or something

WildMride said:
On monday im going with my parents to look at a silver NB for them since they are giving me the NA and i wanted to know what i should look at on the car any signs of abuse or something
?????????????

Miadas can take a lot of abuse. Just look for the usual used-car stuff. what year?

well besides the internal stuff go over the body really good of course. was a sunny day when i went to look at mine and the sun hid some tiny dents that i later found (damn you sun!). i also wasnt thinking and didnt check under the bra it had on it and there was a nasty scratch under it, only reason i kept it on so long until recently when i got my kit installed. so yea check everywhere!
(hah) (sun)

Only thing you really need to look for any differently with Miatas than any other car are the early crank snouts. You do this by looking at the crank pulley from the side looking for wobble, while the engine is running of course.

This only applies to 89 and early 90s, so if its an NB your all set. However I would still do things such as pull the dipstick, look for rust, check the body, etc. Good luck with it! (thumb)

Vash-

90-91.5 if you look at the underdrive pulley it has 3 holes on the front surface 91.5-93 has 8 holes. This is how you can tell them apart. Ps jdm b6ze swap goes for like 800 with tranny. If you were going to buy a miata that has a short nose and want to upgrade you can do that or install a 1.8 swap from 94+ miatas with flyinmiatas 1.8 swap kit =0)

ahahah no my parents didnt abuse the NA. yea now my step dad is looking at a red NA. its a 1990 any things i should look for on the NA if the guy likes the price we suggested?

90-91.5
if its a 90 it will have a short nose crank and can have crank walk which is the key slot is too small and strips out which the crank of the motor spins and the underdrive pulley does not move with it. Knocking timing out and or killing your motor!!!!!

Some motors are ok and some arent. talk the price down and do a 1.8 swap or install a newer jdm 1.6 motor with a long nose crank. Just a few things to think about =0)

For instance...my 90 has a short nose crank, no big deal. I took it apart, learned while I went, and did the loctite fix. Its a bonding/learning experience with your car. Swapping in a "JDM" motor would be the pussy way out...like RAIN (sun)...lol. The motors are already JDM....they are Mazdas, not Fords. (hah)

Vash-

Well vash buddy lol the b6ze miata motor is jdm all the way! its the same motor as the 323 gtx. dont be calling it no ford! lol JDM motor may be the easy way out but if you want a good low mile motor thats the way to go. If you wanna hack a short nose crank and mess it up then do what vash did =0) lol j/k

Rain, the short nose cranks have 4 holes on the pully edge, not 3. And just because i feel like splitting hairs, they do not have 'crank walk'. Crank walk is when the crank goes back and forth in relation to the block. The broken nose of the crank would never result in losing timing, because it's a catastrophic failure and the motor wouldn't run at all (assuming the likelyhood the broken nose took out the crank pully/timing belt). The short nose crank problem is blown way out of proportion and happens very rarely. It would be a simple check if you are paranoid.

Like Vash said, it's really no big deal as long as you take your time putting the crank pully back on. I know a guy who had over 300k on his '90 motor before it finally started to die due to low compression..

Last edited:
Yea.....when I did mine it took like 4 tries to get it right. It was my first major involved job I did. I nicked the s*** out of the crankshaft tip with a screwdriver tryin to take the main seal out....lol. Ooohhh I wanted to flip the car over that day...lol. But in any case I learned a lot, got it done, and moved to bigger things like turbos.

The Miata motor is a non interference motor...by the way.... (thumb) Not like those ones where a timing belt problem = new engine. We have the good s***.

Regarding the thread....you should also check certain things such as the headlight operation, the condition of the soft-top and its back window zipper, as well as take in for a little drive. Go for the first stretch of corners you can find. (thumb)

P.s. Rain drives a Ford! lol (blowjob)

Vash-

Hmm well guess i was shut down huh!

Oh by the way when i was with a friend of mine and his short nose crank key way striped out and the pulley wobbled around and broke the crank bolt and and the timing gear for the belt fell off the crank lol that was funny hmm.

Anyway vashie if i drive a ford you drive a ford lol. But i never had a pole where my motor goes muhahahahaha.

not saying it doesn't happen, but it doesn't happen as often as it seems if you hang around the m.net forum..

Back