Question about Dash Button Blanks (2023 CX-5 Turbo Signature)

So normally when a vehicle is designed, as part of the interior layout the designers figure out what the most number of options are and the associated controls needed for them. It's common to have blanked out buttons on lower trim level cars because they leave space for on/off or other controls for options (e.g. fog lights) that may not be present or available on all models.

I have a 2023 Turbo Signature, which is top of the line and has all the options. However, on the dash only 3 of 6 buttons are used in the panel by the driver's left knee:

IMG_5834.jpg

Does anyone know what options the blank buttons would control (or control on lower trims or older models)? Unless this is an issue of certain functions that used to be button controlled and are now integrated into the regular infotainment interface and/or are software controlled, I can't imagine why the designers would have included such a large panel.

So normally when a vehicle is designed, as part of the interior layout the designers figure out what the most number of options are and the associated controls needed for them. It's common to have blanked out buttons on lower trim level cars because they leave space for on/off or other controls for options (e.g. fog lights) that may not be present or available on all models.

I have a 2023 Turbo Signature, which is top of the line and has all the options. However, on the dash only 3 of 6 buttons are used in the panel by the driver's left knee:
View attachment 317397

Does anyone know what options the blank buttons would control (or control on lower trims or older models)? Unless this is an issue of certain functions that used to be button controlled and are now integrated into the regular infotainment interface and/or are software controlled, I can't imagine why the designers would have included such a large panel.
Here are a couple of examples for additional buttons / switches on gen-1 CX-5 from Europe:

60144FE7-255D-48F4-BA97-DCD0C8EA9590.jpeg

EEE47CE6-ADB6-49D5-8041-12127E4B0855.jpeg

This’s from a 2017 CX-5 XD L Package 4WD which is the top of line 2.2L diesel from Japan (hard to read though):

D5AAD756-95E9-4C56-841A-3D74DE8DEBE5.png

DC877183-EA5A-4876-9945-39307FDD02CD.png

Perhaps other regions have additional equipment? i.e. rear fog light in Europe.
No, the rear fog light switch will always be on the headlight switch stalk with the front fog light. Rear fog light switch is a spring-loaded toggle switch which will always fall back to front fog light position after you turn on or off the rear fog light. Here in this Japanese model you can also see the green front fog light indicator and amber rear fog light indicator in dash which are missing from US version CX-5’s.

1211DEAC-CA92-4D96-B9EC-30389092F2BD.jpeg

No, the rear fog light switch will always be on the headlight switch stalk with the front fog light ...
I was just meaning other equipment from other regions and my rear fog light example was just an illustration of something we don't see much of in "The States". I recall my brother's Audi had a rear fog light switch (years ago).

Now I've learned my new thing for the day. Before 8am even. 😁

I was just meaning other equipment from other regions and my rear fog light example was just an illustration of something we don't see much of in "The States". I recall my brother's Audi had a rear fog light switch (years ago).

original.png

Sorry, had to 😜

Yes, in old days Euro vehicles have a headlight switch with fog light control under or near dash panel and you push、pull、turn to turn on the front and / or rear fog lights like my previous 2001.5 VW Passat. Or there’s a separate fog light rocker or dial switch like my 2000 BMW 528i to control fog lights.

In recent years the front and rear fog light switches have been standardized for most car brands like the way it is showed above mainly because of the EU regulations. The rear fog has to be off whenever you start to drive the car. You can’t turn on the rear fog unless the front fog is on, and an amber warning light is also required. The dash green front and amber rear fog light indicators hence become an international standard because you can’t tell you’ve turned on the rear fog unless you can see an indicator as the fog switch will always fall back to the front fog light position. Somehow Mazda eliminated the (front) fog light dash indicator for its US models (to save a penny?) which is a surprise to me.

In recent years the front and rear fog light switches have been standardized for most car brands like the way it is showed above mainly because of the EU regulations. The rear fog has to be off whenever you start to drive the car. You can’t turn on the rear fog unless the front fog is on, and an amber warning light is also required. The dash green front and amber rear fog light indicators hence become an international standard because you can’t tell you’ve turned on the rear fog unless you can see an indicator as the fog switch will always fall back to the front fog light position. Somehow Mazda eliminated the (front) fog light dash indicator for its US models (to save a penny?) which is a surprise to me.
Jaguar still uses a dash-mounted push/push switch and it can be activated any time the headlights are on (no requirement for front fog lights to be on). They do use the amber indicator light (like most of the German brands).

Back