New 2021 CX-5 and no radio or audio, help!

Hi, barely 24 hrs in my 2021 Touring CX-5 and the audio system stopped working. I connected apple play for less than an hour and the audio suddenly stopped. I can see the song in the infotainment screen but no sound. I toggled the volume and it doesn’t even display the volume meter.

After disconnecting apple play, trying Bluetooth, doing a hard reset, still nothing. I can’t even select the radio, I tried selecting FM and nothing happens.

I took a picture of this audio off display, I’m not sure if this is normal?

4BFA180F-CACD-42E4-8729-A5D0337FC6A1.jpeg

It doesn’t look like he’s been back since the day he posted, probably never saw the suggestions. I can understand how someone unfamiliar with modern vehicles could wonder why there is no sound, particularly since there are two mute buttons in his CX-5. Either he still has no radio, he figured out the cause himself, or he took it to the dealer...

Upvote 0
It doesn’t look like he’s been back since the day he posted, probably never saw the suggestions. I can understand how someone unfamiliar with modern vehicles could wonder why there is no sound, particularly since there are two mute buttons in his CX-5. Either he still has no radio, he figured out the cause himself, or he took it to the dealer...

Or the OP was abducted by aliens, don't forget that possibility. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi, barely 24 hrs in my 2021 Touring CX-5 and the audio system stopped working. I connected apple play for less than an hour and the audio suddenly stopped. I can see the song in the infotainment screen but no sound. I toggled the volume and it doesn’t even display the volume meter.

After disconnecting apple play, trying Bluetooth, doing a hard reset, still nothing. I can’t even select the radio, I tried selecting FM and nothing happens.

I took a picture of this audio off display, I’m not sure if this is normal?

View attachment 296777
Hello, the same thing has happened to me multiple times now, have they been able to solve the issue? Bringing it into the dealership Monday for the 2nd time.

Upvote 0
Hello, the same thing has happened to me multiple times now, have they been able to solve the issue? Bringing it into the dealership Monday for the 2nd time.

Does your display look like the OP's? If so, you might have accidentally hit the Mute button - just press down on the Volume knob to unmute. What model and year is your vehicle?

Upvote 0
Does your display look like the OP's? If so, you might have accidentally hit the Mute button - just press down on the Volume knob to unmute. What model and year is your vehicle?
2021, not on mute… it’s almost like the car is not detecting speakers, volume range does not even display when turning the knob.

Upvote 0
Since this thread began, the infotainment system in my CX-5 has gone mute a few times while using CarPlay with no explanation. One time all audio sources lost audio (USB, FM. you-name-it). Restarting the car didn't fix it. Restarting the phone has fixed it but not all the time. A couple of times I had to restart both the car and the phone. It's VERY annoying, especially on a road trip with a long distance until the next offramp/rest stop.
I've also noticed that infotainment startup time varies from "not long" to "what's wrong with this thing". I'm thinking I need to have firmware updated while I'm still under warranty.

Upvote 0
I'm still on the original firmware that came in my 2018, but I don't have ACP/AA. I wonder if it could possibly be something to do with the cable used to connect the phone? I'd try swapping the cable out first. Once that's been ruled out, a trip to the dealer for a firmware update/reflash would be a good idea.

Upvote 0
So recently just purchased a 2021 CX5 and had this happen just a moment ago while using the USB stick and had just restarted the car from an errand. Wasn't muted (tried that toggle a billion times) and changing sources didn't do anything. Volume up/down (from either volume knob or steering wheel) didn't effect it, trying mute/unmute nor changing sources to different things. Display looked normal like it was playing, BUT there was no volume up/down change displayed while physically changing the volume via controls.

I had placed a phone call earlier which I hadn't done yet with it, but the audio was working normally after that up until I got back to the car, but just noting it as only thing different today. Oh, and I had registered the car with the Mazda App this morning. Two recent variables.

The next time I started the car up after it sat a little bit, it was fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Had the issue repeat today (for the 2021 cx5). I took a video which, well, isn't the best but too lazy to go edit it and should have done a few other things, but here's what it looks like. Note that it also won't switch to FM or AM when it is happening and Mute button has no effect. Video further below:

System version shows no new updates available and at version 11026

Once the car was shutoff and later restarted, audio was back to normal. Not ruling out that I (and others here) might be doing something stupid, but if it is something like that, not exactly intuitive how one might get in/out of the situation. Feels more like it is just a bug in the code though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@2021cx5 have your issues been resolved?
I am having the exact same issue in my brand new 2021 CX-30. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have tried all kinds of things I can think of but nothing provides a true fix. I have checked fuses, uninstalled/reinstalled phones, unplugged the iphone cord, tried turning off and on, even tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes to reset it, this worked for a short time but the radio is back to silent. I'm 100 miles from my dealer so not looking forward to the back and forth.

Upvote 0
@2021cx5 have your issues been resolved?
I am having the exact same issue in my brand new 2021 CX-30. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have tried all kinds of things I can think of but nothing provides a true fix. I have checked fuses, uninstalled/reinstalled phones, unplugged the iphone cord, tried turning off and on, even tried disconnecting the battery for about 10 minutes to reset it, this worked for a short time but the radio is back to silent. I'm 100 miles from my dealer so not looking forward to the back and forth.

If the battery reset didn't fix it, I doubt the following will (and probably is a trip to the dealer issue) but just in case, maybe try the reset function below?

Press and hold down the volume knob, back button, and NAV button for about 10 seconds. This will reset your MAZDA CONNECT™ system. If you are experiencing system issues such as a frozen display or lagging issues, performing a system reset will most likely fix these issues. Please note that performing a MAZDA CONNECT™ system reset may undo changes made to your infotainment system or audio settings.

Upvote 0
I did send a note off to Mazda corporate about it, but no idea if that will help at all or not. Figured it couldn't hurt.
I called my service center, and they said it was related to the most recent iOS update. I am dubious, but will try again later today without connecting to my phone

Upvote 0
Back