New 2016 - Sounds & Smells?

littlebear

:
2017 Mazda CX5
Brand new CX5 and I notice a slight burning smell around the engine compartment. Is this normal on a new engine? Smells kind of like oil.

I also notice the brakes were making a noise during braking and stopping and felt a little spongy. It went away after I drove around for a while. I will test it again. Maybe it's the new pads and rotors breaking in?

Brand new CX5 and I notice a slight burning smell around the engine compartment. Is this normal on a new engine? Smells kind of like oil.

I also notice the brakes were making a noise during braking and stopping and felt a little spongy. It went away after I drove around for a while. I will test it again. Maybe it's the new pads and rotors breaking in?

The smell is normal and should go away after a short while. I had the same issues you are reporting. The brakes should also quiet down when they wear in.

Interesting. My CX-5 didn't exhibit this at all when bought it new last spring (only 4 miles on it). But, a few weeks ago, my daughter purchased a new 2015 Mazda 3 that had a similar burning smell to what you described. We brought it back to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong and that it will go away after week or so. The smell disappeared after a few days.

As for the brakes, they've probably been siting a long time on the dealer lot rusting. Using them cleans that up as you've noticed.

Mine had the same burning smell. I called the dealer and they said it's normal in the beginning. It stopped after a while.

Mine had the same burning smell. I called the dealer and they said it's normal in the beginning. It stopped after a while.

Yes, a little waxy/ plastic smell is normal as everything it getting heated up to operating temps for the first few times.

Same with the interior, your windows will get lightly hazed up as all of the silicones and hydrocarbons try to get out of the interior.

So the brake sounds, is that normal? How long or how many miles before it should go away?

I removed the rims and sprayed some brake cleaner on the rotors in case there was any grease or oil on them.

I had no brake issues with mine new nor any other car, but part of breaking in is to allow the brakes and tyres to bed in.

As said new components often have some protection against corrosion which will burn off after use, the sump is a good example.

I'm pretty sure a lot of new cars do this - just give it time to break in some. It took a couple months for it to fully disappear on our Mazda - we park in the garage so the smell lingered for a little while.

My Subaru also had this smell when new but it only lasted a couple weeks.

It just sounds weird and I never had any other vehicle do that. It's as if the pads are not gripping the rotors correctly and making a sound. No ABS is activating. It's more a rotor to brake pad noise and the CX5 doesn't stop as well as my Mazda3 did.

That's what is bothering me right now is that the stopping power doesn't seem right.

I doubt it's a bad caliper since all sides are doing it.

It just sounds weird and I never had any other vehicle do that. It's as if the pads are not gripping the rotors correctly and making a sound. No ABS is activating. It's more a rotor to brake pad noise and the CX5 doesn't stop as well as my Mazda3 did.

That's what is bothering me right now is that the stopping power doesn't seem right.

I doubt it's a bad caliper since all sides are doing it.

My wife just got her 2016 GT w/tech last Friday. She mentioned a strange brake noise when braking and turning right. I drove it this past weekend and noticed it too on one turn. I don't think we've heard it since. It was sort of a brief rapid staccato type of noise.

Probably a small stone caught between the pad and disc. They generally fall out by themselves but if it persists it may need to be removed manually before it gouges your disc too much.

Upon selling a car, some dealers prep the car like washing it and adding some tire shine or whatever. I know some dealers change the oil prior to that prep work before you drive it out the lot (not sure exactly why). Anyways even a small drip of oil on the engine block can cause the oil smell.

Probably a small stone caught between the pad and disc. They generally fall out by themselves but if it persists it may need to be removed manually before it gouges your disc too much.

It's definitely NOT a stone. Sounds more like a creaking sound when coming to a complete stop.

I snugged down the caliper bolts which were already tight. I hit the rotors with brake cleaner so it can't be an oily rotor.

Hopefully it goes away because I would hate to take it to the stupid dealership which is always a nightmare dealing with them.

I hope it's not a bad caliper.

What does the brake assist sound like?

Back