Need Winter Tire Recommendation

Here are results from a tire size calculator. Comments?

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

205/55-17 4.4in 12.9in 25.9in 81.3in 779 0.0% Stock Tire
205/55-16 4.4in 12.4in 24.9in 78.2in 811 -3.9%
195/60-16 4.6in 12.6in 25.2in 79.2in 800 -2.6%

Last edited:
15" won't fit NA-spec Mazda5s. The brake calipers are too large.

Last winter, I used Blizzak REVO1's on Mazda3-spec 16" generic steelies from Tirerack. They worked great.

Buy your snow tires early (like now), otherwise they're gone by November.

Good luck.

Good Day to everyone in the forum...
i just got my new mazda 5... winter time is coming and i've read a lot of recommendation on tires.. are the stock toyo tires really that bad on snow?
but i think they are really good during summer.. (from my experience)
i'm new in this country and i live here in southern maryland, would i really be needing snow tires?

Snow in Southern MD? Yep. It's been known to happen (just not last year).

I live a stone's throw from the District and, believe me, you'll either need to upgrade those Toyos or get decent snow tires when the "wintry mix" cometh. The Toyos are downright dangerous to use in the snow - especially if you're trying to keep up w/ traffic on the Beltway or the B/W Parkway.

Just my opinion.

I talked to Gill @ the TireRack about the pros and cons between the Blizzak LM-25 and WS-60s. He was helpful.

The jist is that the LM-25s perform better on dry roads, the WS-60s better in snow and on ice.

As far as treadlife goes, it's a wash. They both give about 20K miles. The WS-60s have softer tread, but more of it.

So I'm going with LM-25s as most of my winter driving is on dry pavement, with the occasional heavy snow storm, which, usually melts quickly. I'm hoping four seasons out of them.

Here are results from a tire size calculator. Comments?

205/55-17 4.4in 12.9in 25.9in 81.3in 779 0.0% Stock Tire
205/55-16 4.4in 12.4in 24.9in 78.2in 811 -3.9%
195/60-16 4.6in 12.6in 25.2in 79.2in 800 -2.6%

the stock tire size should be 205/50 17

Snow in Southern MD? Yep. It's been known to happen (just not last year).

I live a stone's throw from the District and, believe me, you'll either need to upgrade those Toyos or get decent snow tires when the "wintry mix" cometh. The Toyos are downright dangerous to use in the snow - especially if you're trying to keep up w/ traffic on the Beltway or the B/W Parkway.

Just my opinion.

ok.. so i will do it.. i don't want to regret anything. and besides this for my own and other motorist's safety. thank you PGCist!
i've read Remarquian's post, and he already did his homework about Blizzak LM-25 and WS-60s... so you will put this on the stock 17" magwheels right? and this is an all-weather/all-season tires?
i'm beginning to love this forum.. thank you guys!

So as I said, I'm going to get the Blizzak LM-25s, probably from TireRack,
Size wise, I'm going to go down to a 16" steel wheel.

So size wise it's going to look like:

16X6.5 Steel Black Wheel
205/55R16 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25
The cost for the package including wheel covers from tire rack is going to be like $800 minus a fifty dollar amex 'reward' card (including shipping).

Thank MRBWA1. I entered the wrong number. Here is the correct info.

205/50-17 4.0in 12.5in 25.1in 78.8in 804 0.0%
195/60-16 4.6in 12.6in 25.2in 79.2in 800 0.6%
205/55-16 4.4in 12.4in 24.9in 78.2in 811 -0.8%

I guess the only benefit of the 195/60 16 is in the speedo.

I talked to Gill @ the TireRack about the pros and cons between the Blizzak LM-25 and WS-60s. He was helpful.

The jist is that the LM-25s perform better on dry roads, the WS-60s better in snow and on ice.

As far as treadlife goes, it's a wash. They both give about 20K miles. The WS-60s have softer tread, but more of it.

So I'm going with LM-25s as most of my winter driving is on dry pavement, with the occasional heavy snow storm, which, usually melts quickly. I'm hoping four seasons out of them.

Hey I'm also considering these tires. I'm in Calgary and we have very, very similar winter conditions as you guys: but with a bit less snow and a bit more cold. Most of my driving is also in dry conditions, but since our winter weather lasts longer up here I'm going to put winter tires on my stock 17" wheels rather than switch to steelies. With that in mind you think I should swap go for the WS-60s instead of the LM-25's?

OK, this might be a stupid Noob question about winter rubber, but never worried about it before. Would there be a benifit to just running the front two with winter rubber, and leaving the backs as all-season since its FWD? It currently sits with 2 performance tires up front, so I'm thinking it has to help. because I drove it last winter, and it was the worst thing I've driven in the snow, and I'm used to RWD, I know running all 4 would be ideal, but looking to help the GF get around this winter and we'll just say my funding is tight at the moment, and this will have to come out of my pocket to help her out.

OK, this might be a stupid Noob question about winter rubber, but never worried about it before. Would there be a benifit to just running the front two with winter rubber, and leaving the backs as all-season since its FWD?

It's not recommended, because of the disparity of traction you'd get, with two winters up front and all-seasons in the back. It would most probably affect the ABS and TCS.

It's not recommended, because of the disparity of traction you'd get, with two winters up front and all-seasons in the back. It would most probably affect the ABS and TCS.

Figured that might be too easy. thanks for the help. Looks like I'll have to look for 4 for her and none for myself then. Not that Indiana winters are that bad, but its just a 40 mile drive each so was looking

Last edited:
That's an easy one. I don't think the WS-60's come in the 205/50R17 size.

Haha. You're right. Just about to order the LM-25's.

TCS? Traction control??

Last edited:
remarquian, when you went to order your LM-25's did you get the Tire Load Warning?

Example:

The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable.

Just wondering if I should be cautious about this?

remarquian, when you went to order your LM-25's did you get the Tire Load Warning?

Example:

The following tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E.) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable.

Just wondering if I should be cautious about this?

No, I didn't, I'm curious too.

Did you order from TireRack?

Oh yeah, TCS: traction contol system.

Back