Need Winter Tire Recommendation

switz

:
2008 Mazda5 GT 5-spd manual
Hi,

I havent posted in a while but its about time to snow and I would appreciate some input. I need to put winter tires on my Mazda 5. All I have are the orig. 205/50-17 Toyo tires and I know that they wont work for the winter. Im thinking of getting separate steel rims with winter tires. Should I stick with the same size or go down to 205/55-16s? What advantages/disadvantages are there with the smaller rim size? Also, is their anything I need to tell the tire shop about ordering the steel rims (offset?), I have read some horror stories and would not like to be one of them. Also, could you recommend a tire that you have had good winter experience with. My driving is mostly highway, which can sometimes be ice and snow covered. No deep snow driving. I dont want to pay a fortune, but I dont want crappy tires either. I have had horrible luck with Goodyear tires in the past and I will not even consider purchasing them. I have had good luck with Hankook IceBear 300s in the past. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your input. I will let you all know what I get and how it turns out when I finally purchase the package.

There are some very good threads here on winter tires and driving experience. Everyone seems to agree that 16" inch wheels are the way to go and several members have reported success with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta. I'll be ordering Blizzak WS-60's on 16" steel wheels from Tire Rack. Cost for me is around $750 including shipping and $50 rebate thru Oct 12. Bought same for my Honda minivan last year, patted myself on the back all winter long for making such a wise investment.

Last edited:
There are a few tire threads is you search. Sadly, you have reminded me that I still haven't done photos witht he summer rims on.

Get the 16s. There is no reason to have 17" snow tires (well maybe if you wanted them on the factor rims.

Tirerack is awesome. I bout mty 205/55 16 Dunlop Windersport 3ds from them last year. It was about $700 shipped. They ship the tires pre-mounted and balanced and even included chrome lugnuts for free!

I nearly bought the Blizzaks (not sure which model), but was turned off by the tire only being 55% winter tire compound and 45% all season compound. Right now the Dunlops are the cheapest, though I see that oil prices have really hit tires!

This veteran PRO Rallyist and skier from New England has been a Nokian driver for years and its the only winter tire I put on my cars. Great snow driving, the new RSi is excellent on ice and on the mix of wet/slush/snow/ice we get here, I could not ask for anything more. Unlike other winter tires, the Nokians are good on dry once and exceptional in the rain.

I highly recommend the Nokian RSi.

Also, regarding tire rack, yes they are good, but I have found that most local dealers will match their prices (including shipping).

Get the 16s. There is no reason to have 17" snow tires (well maybe if you wanted them on the factor rims.
Are there performance concerns with the smaller side-walls on the 17"s? I was thinking of just putting winter tires on my factory 17's since winter can last pretty long where I live. I don't want to sport steelies for 6 whole months. But I could see how softer 16" tires would provide better traction.

I nearly bought the Blizzaks (not sure which model), but was turned off by the tire only being 55% winter tire compound and 45% all season compound. Right now the Dunlops are the cheapest, though I see that oil prices have really hit tires!

Here in Calgary we can get a little snow in late October or early November, and then it's usually quite dry until mid-late December. And even though winter weather lasts until April, chinook winds melt everything frequently and all of the sudden you're driving on your soft winter tires for a couple of weeks until it snows again. Based on that could Blizzaks actually be a better choice for me due to it's harder part-all-season compound?

Everyone seems to agree that 16" inch wheels are the way to go and several members have reported success with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta.

+1 for the 16" with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires. Best snow tire I've ever owned. I put them on in late October and take them off in early April. I've already have put 30K on them and they look to last another 30K. They cost more, but my experience is that they are worth the extra.

Oh, and I got a real good deal on some out of fashion mags, so I don't have to suffer through the winter rolling on fugly steel rims!

I got the hankook winter tire from the mazda dealer, with 16 inch steelies. The sales pitch was 'its new brand, and used/made or intended for Russian winter?'. Takes time for the brand new rubber to wear and adjust to winter driving. But working very well during its second winter.

By the looks of the tire thread, I guess this will be our winter tire for many winters to come. maybe I'll use it past spring to wear it up and justify to the wife to try out more expensive higher-end winter tires. lolz.

Are there performance concerns with the smaller side-walls on the 17"s? I was thinking of just putting winter tires on my factory 17's since winter can last pretty long where I live. I don't want to sport steelies for 6 whole months. But I could see how softer 16" tires would provide better traction.

Here in Calgary we can get a little snow in late October or early November, and then it's usually quite dry until mid-late December. And even though winter weather lasts until April, chinook winds melt everything frequently and all of the sudden you're driving on your soft winter tires for a couple of weeks until it snows again. Based on that could Blizzaks actually be a better choice for me due to it's harder part-all-season compound?

Good points there! I have always done snow wheels for a couple reasons. Mainly it's the expanse and hassle of having the tires switched over. Also, I don't trust mounting and unmounting of multiple tires. There risks are probably slight, but do exist for a nicked bead or more likely rim rash. My other big reasoning is than I have used snow tires on more than one occasion as a full sized spare. (note, placing just 1 snow tire in the mix is probably not good for more than temporary running, but better than those little donut tires.)

Steelies aren't really my dream wheel, but basic aluminum rims aren't much more than the steelies and are definitely going to be cheaper in a 16" size. Truly, cost was my main motivator, though our snows do ride a bit better and are quieted than the standard Toyos. Steelies are also easier to match as a set if you bash a curb and bend the rim. Also, snow tires are pretty big in my area, so steelies are kind of like Snow boots: They're not that pretty, but very functional.

To give a little perspective, I live in Spokane, WA, so I have a bit of an idea of your situation up north. We are also usually dry, though last winter made up for quite a few duds! I have zero concerns using the studless snows on dry pavement. In fact, the softer compounds are nice on those dry, but bone chilling days that freeze summer tires solid.

My '01 Toyota Echo has Yokohama IG-10, which are basically the same as the Blizzacks and I drove them until June, as my summer tires are on their last legs and I want to replace them next year, not this year! I would have nore problem driving my snows year-round (well, my ECHO only has steelies and hubcaps, but the IG-10s look liek Tractor tires on it. )

I don't think that any of the brand-name studless snows are really that bad. It mainly comes down to taste and needs. Some of the tires like the Blizzacks and Nokians do better on solid ice.

Regarding Steelies versus the factory 17s: two years ago I started developing leaks on our 98 Subuaru Outback with original alloy rims. There were major pits on the rims, caused by the corrosive salts [mag cloride in Colorado] on the road. I tried to get the pits ground out, but they got worse and worse, so I eventually had to replace the rims. That cost a pretty penny.

So my strategy with our 5 is going to be winter tires with steelies and wheel covers, so they don't look that bad. That will hopefully keep the factory rims from corroding, and provide me with winter traction. The downside is that the stock sucky tires will last longer time wise.

So the choice I'm debating is the Blizzak LM-25s versus the Blizzak WS60s, performance winter versus just a snow tire. I'm trying to figure out how they stack up (general handling vs snow & ice vs tire life vs dry pavement driving). They are the same price at the Tire Rack. My conditions are similar, lots of dry pavement driving, punctuated with snow storms in which the snow lasts for a day or two, and the occasional trip to the mountains.

I was able to get a second set of the factory 17s and I mounted a set of Blizzak LM 25s on them. They have been great in everything from ice to slush to 8 inches of fresh powdery snow.

I was able to get a second set of the factory 17s and I mounted a set of Blizzak LM 25s on them. They have been great in everything from ice to slush to 8 inches of fresh powdery snow.

Thanks, that's great info. That's half of what I've been wondering. How do the perform on dry pavement versus the stock Toyos?

I know I must be blind...but what is the treadwear rating for the stock Toyo's? It's pouring out at my house now, and I'm too lazy to check the number.

Blizzaks I have driven have very soft tread blocks, making the tires squirm a bit on dry and/or wet pavement before they settle and the car feels like it has grip. Blizzaks have great ice treads, but a better overall winter tire, in my opinion, is the Nokian.

I'm also interested in possible snow tire choices.

On my 2000 protege, I ran Nokian Q's on dedicated steel rims. Other than the obvious traction advantages, the car held straight under panic stops(no ABS). I've found in the past that a front-wheel drive with all-seasons can easily lose the back end under hard steering/braking conditions. Even though the car was low, I was able to plow through some fairly deep and heavy snow.

I currently run Nokian WR's all year round on a Acura EL (Civic). There is a bit of a compromise on these 'all-weather tires' compared to a dedicated tire like a Nokian Q, RSI, R, Blizzak, etc....but not taking them off is nice.

I guess it sometimes comes down to how bad the stock tires are. I think there are some reasonable all-seasons out there, but the stock Firestone's on the Acura did want to turn - the nose pushed so bad unless you practically crawled around the turn. Mind you, I had last driven a protege with expensive Nokian Q, so there was a huge difference.

I'm thinking dedicated Nokian R's or maybe another brand depending on what I find. I could also just switch the 5 to the new Nokian WRg2's and leave them on all year.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's great info. That's half of what I've been wondering. How do the perform on dry pavement versus the stock Toyos?

To me, they feel fine, almost as good as the Toyos, which isn't saying much, but they do feel "normal". Curiously, they are quieter than the Toyos.

I, too am considering 16" rims for the snow tires. Calculations seem to favor a 195/60 16 as closest to the factory 17's

The 16s should be 205/55 16. It's the same 16" size as sold on the Mazda3 and the lower end Canadian Mazda5.

The comments of JFRCross, Remarquian, Opus, and others plus extensive googling has me rethinking my allegiance to the Blizzak WS-60, which is based on positive experience last year driving the Honda Odyssey through a Rocky Mountain winter. Challenging the WS-60 are the Nokian Hakka Rsi and the Blizzak LM-25.

Can you help me break it down? Some info:

1. My driving style these days: Lame. Off the highway I am pretty conservative, mainly to limit my interaction with the surprising numbers of radar-wielding officers and inattentive/inexperienced drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians in my area. On the highway I'm mostly in the left lane for max speed.
2. Starting soon I'll be driving 90 highway miles (round trip) two to four days per week.
3. Capabilities in icy conditions are important. Denver metro winters are unlike those in the northeast (colder, drier, more transient) but similar to what the folks in Canada describe. <begin rant> Also, once you're off I-25 there is a notable lack of timely road treatment. Last winter if there was any moisture present my morning and evening roads (talking about major state highways here) were always icy and the sand & salt trucks never rolled 'til a couple of hours after the forecast conditions appeared. Sometimes they didn't roll at all 'cause it's all gonna melt tomorrow anyway. <end rant>
4. Nokian availability seems somewhat limited but I've not yet called the local sources.

Items 1 and 2 together point to a performance tire.
Item 2 points to a longer wearing tire. The Blizzak' WS-60 might last 12-15,000 miles, are the LM-25 or Nokian any better?
Item 3: On the Honda the WS-60 was GREAT on ice, black ice, and snow on top of ice. I drove it to steep icy backroad ski areas and never once wished for 4WD. Are the others as good?

Guess I'm looking to hear if the LM-25 is good enough, if the more expensive Nokian will provide a significant advantage, and/or if I've missed something important.

Back