2013~2016 Need some advice - Liftgate and Front Passenger Door

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 132k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
2014 CX-5 Touring to be clear.

So from this thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...-up-re-liftgate-issue.123869839/#post-6696704

Figured out after doing some more testing this weekend that my problem with the car unlocking is isolated to the front passenger door and rear liftgate. When I unlock the car, the front driver, and both rear door unlock just fine. Pressing the unlock button either on the fob or inside from the driver controls, you can visually see the lock on the passenger door attempting to unlock but its too weak and won't.

No idea what's up with the liftgate, if its the same deal as the door, but I can't open it anymore, so I assume it's not unlocking.

So questions:

1. Is there anyway to open the liftgate from inside?
2. Do you think there is some sort of electrical or whatever systemic issue (since its 2 doors out of 5), or isolated to the locks of both the liftgate and passenger door?

At this point, not really sure how to approach the issue and would like to avoid shop if possible.

Doesn't the liftgate have an emergency latch release? You would have to crawl in the back to release it.

No emergency release. There is a smallish square plastic cover on the inside plastic liftgate panel that you can pop off and then use a screwdriver to manually release the latch inside the liftgate.

No emergency release. There is a smallish square plastic cover on the inside plastic liftgate panel that you can pop off and then use a screwdriver to manually release the latch inside the liftgate.
Yeah. I think it is a federal safety requirement. Look right in the middle for a small(2x2 in.) pop-out. I think it's in the manual.

2014 CX-5 Touring to be clear.

So from this thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...-up-re-liftgate-issue.123869839/#post-6696704

Figured out after doing some more testing this weekend that my problem with the car unlocking is isolated to the front passenger door and rear liftgate. When I unlock the car, the front driver, and both rear door unlock just fine. Pressing the unlock button either on the fob or inside from the driver controls, you can visually see the lock on the passenger door attempting to unlock but its too weak and won't.

No idea what's up with the liftgate, if its the same deal as the door, but I can't open it anymore, so I assume it's not unlocking.

So questions:

1. Is there anyway to open the liftgate from inside?
2. Do you think there is some sort of electrical or whatever systemic issue (since its 2 doors out of 5), or isolated to the locks of both the liftgate and passenger door?

At this point, not really sure how to approach the issue and would like to avoid shop if possible.
Based on your description the culprits should be at the problem locations, you just happen to have 2 problems at the same time. You need a new power lock actuator at your passenger door, and could be the same power lock actuator at your liftgate. Since you heard nothing from the liftgate, the problem could be bad connections on switch or something else in the area. I remember there’s a TSB for water getting into the liftgate mechanism area and having the rust issue. And I thought you had done something to the liftgate before, but don’t remember which parts you had replaced.

Open the back panel of the liftgate and use a multimeter to check the voltage and connectivity among the connectors. If you see any rush on any wirings that could be the culprit. Also, try to check the lock function on the liftgate touch / pressure switch functioning while testing, that should be the starting point to diagnose. Let us know.

Based on your description the culprits should be at the problem locations, you just happen to have 2 problems at the same time. You need a new power lock actuator at your passenger door, and could be the same power lock actuator at your liftgate. Since you heard nothing from the liftgate, the problem could be bad connections on switch or something else in the area. I remember there’s a TSB for water getting into the liftgate mechanism area and having the rust issue. And I thought you had done something to the liftgate before, but don’t remember which parts you had replaced.

Open the back panel of the liftgate and use a multimeter to check the voltage and connectivity among the connectors. If you see any rush on any wirings that could be the culprit. Also, try to check the lock function on the liftgate touch / pressure switch functioning while testing, that should be the starting point to diagnose. Let us know.

I had that strut recall done. Sort of regret it as the new struts don't let the gate open as far as it used to and are definitely weaker.

Anyway, don't have a multi-meter or know how to use one, so I will look into that.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone.

Back