Need New Computer...Questions...

:
2021 CX-5 GT-R
It's looking like I'll need a new computer for my P5. Has anyone replaced theirs before?

Does anyone know where I can get one online?

Also, what should I expect to pay to have it installed?

Any other tips/advice about getting a computer would be much appreciated.

Do you have an automatic or manual? If you have a manual, I would opt for a MP3 (or flashed) ECU. Usually found FS for around $150 or so. If not, stock P5 ECU for automatic is your other option.

Watch the FS for part-outs or check a local junkyard. Also, it looks like theres a bunch on ebay, but I'm not sure which you would need.

Does anyone know what one I'll need? Or if it even matters, as long as the year is correct?

2003, automatic.

Are you sure you need one? (not trying to be a jerk, just asking) Did a mechanic tell you that, because I have seen several guys go looking for an ecu when they didn't need one. Check out car-part.com. You can get an ECU on there pretty cheap. Good luck.

ECU's VERY rarely fail. In fact, the only time I've seen it was because the car was in a flood and the ECU was submurged for about 3 days.

Are you sure you need one? (not trying to be a jerk, just asking) Did a mechanic tell you that, because I have seen several guys go looking for an ecu when they didn't need one. Check out car-part.com. You can get an ECU on there pretty cheap. Good luck.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I really need one or not. I've been having "not ready" issues with the OBD2 for a couple years. No indications of a problem, no check engine light. For the first year all I kept hearing from mechanics, mazda, and my state's pollution department is to keep driving it and eventually the OBD2 will be ready. Went several thousand miles and nothing.

I finally had a mechanic look into it deeper and they said they MAY have found a problem in one of my wiring harnesses, but said they weren't certain it would fix my problem. They told me if that didn't work, the next step would be to change the computer. The computer is a much cheaper option, so I thought I might start with it first.

I only go into so much detail in hopes that someone has a suggestion/remedy for me, who may have had a similar problem.

ECU's VERY rarely fail. In fact, the only time I've seen it was because the car was in a flood and the ECU was submurged for about 3 days.

I've heard that a lot, but not sure what else to try. My car was in a front collision before I bought it and was a rebuilt title and did have a small electrical problem shortly after I bought it, but maybe that's just the wiring harness problem that the mechanic said they may have found.

Last edited:
Usually when you find a problem, you fix it. You don't say you found it and leave it alone.

It's a write off? Yeeeesssshhhh.... This could get messy!

In that case, it's probably worth trying a different ECU, but I have a feeling it is another problem. Keep us updated.

The one I have has 5MAB EEC-V MAZ-403 FSAR-18881 2ALU-12A650-DB *N7DACBPW6CRF* markings all on the bar code sticker on harness plug & 5MAB FSAR- NPEF 201311 on the smaller bar code sticker on the other end of it. Other than that it's just a silver flat box.

The one I have has 5MAB EEC-V MAZ-403 FSAR-18881 2ALU-12A650-DB *N7DACBPW6CRF* markings all on the bar code sticker on harness plug & 5MAB FSAR- NPEF 201311 on the smaller bar code sticker on the other end of it. Other than that it's just a silver flat box.

How do I get to the computer so I can check mine?

Thinking the 03 sportautos have FSBB-1881-C but doublecheck yours and let me know. If the FSAR-1881 is what you have now, you can have the one I have for shipping cost.

I've adopted an anti-hoarding policy of late for some things I have had too long and will not be using for both my car and the Tacoma. This would be one of those, lol..................Still holding out hope on eventually hacking my wiring harness to hook up the NA MPI Tuner, flying miata voltage clamp, Innovate wbo2 & gauge with 2nd OBX header with 3rd bung that I have had for couple of yrs now to start playing around with fuel maps & timing but I'm lazy like that, lol. Got distracted in 09 with a Tacoma prerunner that needed all kinda mods and still does.........................just can't leave s*** alone.

Oops, so I was looking over the notes my mechanic made on the invoice and he actually said the PCM might be the problem, not the ECU like I thought he said.

Since many have said that ECUs rarely go out, does that sound more probable that it could be the PCM or are those going out just as rare? Also, is it worse that it's the PCM than the ECU? (worse, as in more expensive to replace).

Oops, so I was looking over the notes my mechanic made on the invoice and he actually said the PCM might be the problem, not the ECU like I thought he said.

Since many have said that ECUs rarely go out, does that sound more probable that it could be the PCM or are those going out just as rare? Also, is it worse that it's the PCM than the ECU? (worse, as in more expensive to replace).

Anyone happen to know?

Back