Need Help From The Classic Guru's

gone_fishin

:
One of a Kind '99
I need the help of our members who are knowledgeable in classic cars.

Here's the deal: I've got a lead on a 1976 Porsche 912E with a 5 sp. manual tranny. It has matching numbers, and approx. 80,000 miles on it-- everything is original with the exception of the tires, brake pads, etc.

A bit about the car:

It's only had two owners in its lifetime, always garaged, never driven in the winter, and it's current owner has driven it likely no more than 500 miles in the past 10 years. It's in need of minor restoration. My only concern outside of the things that need to be repaired (front struts, stereo, & tires needs to be replaced; window opening crank needs to be fixed, & engine seals need to be replaced) is a small ammount of rust within the front fender lining on the driver side.

I'm not familiar with the 912E's platform-- the flat 4 boxer. My questions are:

1.) With a car that is 31 years old, would I be foolish not to expect to have the engine & perhaps the tranny rebuilt?

2.) I need this car to be reliable, and I realize that Porsche's are high maintenance vehicles; however, should I expect this car to be constantly under the knife just because of its sheer age?

i.e. every month either fixing or replacing something-- water pump, alternator, etc. until everything's been replaced.

3.) How hard is it for you classic guys to find parts?

4.) How big of a deal is this rust, if it's localized and not significant?

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited:
For classic cars it really depends on the car, your best be is to talk to some Porshce specific people. I know a lot of poeple on the Datsun forums DD thier 510s As long as you don't cheap out on the parts or if you get junk yard parts you clean them up good you will be ok replacing parts. Autozone has had majority of the parts I needed for my die when I have asked. Unless the car has been restored recently, I would say yes, you would be a little foolish (not in a bad way) to think nothing will go wrong with the motors. As long as the motor was put together correctly and was maintaned correctly you should be ok. Rust really also depends on the car, There are a lot of 510s that are rust buckets and there are some that have a little bit of rust.

Thanks freekwonder.

I've got a healthy respect for rust and the catastrophies it can cause; however, at what point do you tolerate/fix before finding the nearest exit and running for the door?

There are a number of sites for Porsche's. The four cylinder 912 are consider to be more reliable and involve less restoration that the 6 cylinder 911. The 76 912E was only produced one year waiting for the introduction of the 924. This era was the time frame of lot of ill-conceived emission controls. Most Porsche folks seem to favor the pre 1967 912 rather than the 912E. That's about all I can remember from my Porsche days.

On rust: There is rust and there is rust. In a car from the NE rust is expected. The key is where the rust is located and how difficult it is to fix. Since fixing some problems can be more than the cost of the car, most Porsche folks require a Pre-purchase inspection. This way they know what they are getting into.

dolphin said:
That's about all I can remember from my Porsche days.

I think pre-purchase inspection is a must for any used car; however it seems like the Porsche guys recommend that you take it to a Porsche dealership or a "porsche miester" to get it inspected-- they'll know the ins and outs and exactly what to look for.

What made you leave the Porsche family?

Long story. During that time I was single with a bunch of cars. I met a woman got married had two children etc. Now my MSP and Miata are faster than my old Porsche.

gone_fishin said:
I need the help of our members who are knowledgeable in classic cars.

Here's the deal: I've got a lead on a 1976 Porsche 912E with a 5 sp. manual tranny. It has matching numbers, and approx. 80,000 miles on it-- everything is original with the exception of the tires, brake pads, etc.

A bit about the car:

It's only had two owners in its lifetime, always garaged, never driven in the winter, and it's current owner has driven it likely no more than 500 miles in the past 10 years. It's in need of minor restoration. My only concern outside of the things that need to be repaired (front struts, stereo, & tires needs to be replaced; window opening crank needs to be fixed, & engine seals need to be replaced) is a small ammount of rust within the front fender lining on the driver side.

I'm not familiar with the 912E's platform-- the flat 4 boxer. My questions are:

1.) With a car that is 31 years old, would I be foolish not to expect to have the engine & perhaps the tranny rebuilt?

2.) I need this car to be reliable, and I realize that Porsche's are high maintenance vehicles; however, should I expect this car to be constantly under the knife just because of its sheer age?

i.e. every month either fixing or replacing something-- water pump, alternator, etc. until everything's been replaced.

3.) How hard is it for you classic guys to find parts?

4.) How big of a deal is this rust, if it's localized and not significant?

Thank you all in advance.

There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche. They are cheap to buy, but maintence and work are gonna cost..

the 912 is a bit rarer than 911 or 944. Parts will be dificult.

I agree with Brian MP5T for the most part. The advantage of the 912E is that the engine is VW type IV. Not the most popular VW engine but you can find stuff for them still since it was used in the VW Bus and camper until VW went to the Wasserboxer as well as the VW 411/412. It was also the one used in the 914 2.0 that the 912E replaced.

If you are a decent machanic and can get the right manuals, a Porsche is easy to work on. If you do get a Porsche, do join the local Porsche support group, I mean PCA. Its magazine, Panorama, used to have great technical articles. You can also find back articles either through Panorama itself or one of the other memebers. Also these clubs often can get you access to the Porsche special tools required for some jobs.

BUT as Brian says no matter what you pay for it, owning a Porsche is never cheap.

Great replys guys.

As for rust, that honestly depends on the person and your ability to get it fixed. For us dimes, rust is normal on the wheels wells, trunk, and floor boards. Which are normally pretty easy to get fixed. Above that MOST people deal with, but some hard core people would.

dolphin said:
BUT as Brian says no matter what you pay for it, owning a Porsche is never cheap.

What was the saying, again? I could give you a Porsche and you still couldn't afford it!

Good luck on the decision. I think it would be cool to have a 912, 'cause most people have never heard of them.

Back