Need Advice: Roomate crap

Wiggles422 said:
You may want to give him a heads up before Friday so that if he knows he has something planned, he can schedule ahead of time.
I DID. And I shouldn't have to anyway, since he's a grown man. But when I did, he got an attitude with me, and said

"Look, it's due Sunday at 12, it will be done by then. If I ever don't have it done by Sunday at 12, you can bang on my door and tell me to do it. Until then, I don't wanna hear about it."

So If I mentioned it at 1AM on Monday morning, he'd get an attitude with me. Complete ******* horseshit.

For example when Wednesday rolls along, give him a friendly reminded that chores need to be finished by midnight Friday. Just my $.02, hope it all works out for you!
-Michael
I wish he was that easy to deal with. He really needs a kick in the ass sometimes. :(

Aricjm15 said:
well he could die in an car "accident" and you could just take all the insurance money
that way it would be all good for you, you have some extra $$$ and an extra room full of free s***, or if you choose, sell all of his crap and start renting the room again.
That would only work if we were gaysex married, which you can't do in NJ. Good plan though. His car is rather unreliable.

MP3intheSTL said:
Other than the cleaning thing, is he on time with his rent?
Pretty much, yeah. Latest he ever was might have been a week, but he was early a few times too. I ask for rent by the first, and he typically has it to me 2 days before or after that.

If so it's not worth kicking him out. You might not be so lucky with someone else.
Exactly. And he has a steady job/income. We don't exactly live in a cheap place (although it's nothing fancy), so it's hard to find someone that could afford to live there.

But maybe he doesn't want someone telling him when to clean, which is not an excuse because it's your house and he should repect your wishes.
Exactly. He's acting like a kid about it. And then when I question him about it, he'll give me the "I'm a grown man, I know what my resposibilities are" speech, but then he won't actually fulfull them.

(he is living under your roof). Maybe you just need to sit down with him and a couple of beers. (I would perfer a bucket, but that's just me) and say that it's fine if something comes up and you couldn't clean on Sunday. But insted of sitting around the house pick up a f-ing broom and do your part to help clean.
Exactly. But how do I go about that without having him get kurt with me and see things from MY perspective?

I had a very good friend live with me for about 6 months. I know him since 3rd grade. He had no car, so I let him use my other car to find a job. (oh ya he didn't have a job either). I didn't make him pay rent until he got a car and got his feet back on the ground. He had a drug problem and I wanted to help him insted of seeing in kill himself. (he smoked crack). But he wreaked my car, never found a job, would bring people I didn't even know into my house and eat my food, and passout and never pick up the mess he made. So finally I had to give him the boot after $1500, a PS2 and all my games were stolen from my bed room which I locked everyday when I left for work.
WOW.

So I haven't talked to him in about 3 years because I'm an A$$hole.
Sorry, I had to vent.
That story just pisses me off. :(

LOL @ mypfiz.

Yeah, but that wouldn't get the dishes done.

UPDATE - I just found out that he won't be home until 11 tonight (so I REALLY doubt he'll do it tonight), and he has a friend coming over tomorrow. I'm GUESSING he may bring up "oh yeah, i have to clean" when his friend is over, which would make it an awkward conversation. Yay.

It's a hard situation to deal with.
You don't want to be an ass but he needs to do his part and help. If he was irresponsable I'm sure you wouldn't let him stay there, and it sounds like he's not irresponsable, but maybe he's just needs to get his own place. That may have something to do with it. Maybe he's bitter that he has to obey someone else's rules. (dunno)
Good luck!!!

MP3intheSTL said:
It's a hard situation to deal with.
You don't want to be an ass but he needs to do his part and help. If he was irresponsable I'm sure you wouldn't let him stay there,
Exactly, and with the exception of the weekly cleaning, he's pretty good overall.

and it sounds like he's not irresponsable, but maybe he's just needs to get his own place.
I'm sure he'd prefer that, but you can't get your own place for less than $750 a month around here, and that doesn't include utils, nor is it very nice.

That may have something to do with it. Maybe he's bitter that he has to obey someone else's rules. (dunno)
Good luck!!!
That could very well be it. But that's something HE has to grow up and get past. I just don't know how I can help him. :/

My wife and I rented a room to one of her friends she had known for years. Good deal for us, the rent $. Verbal agreement (BAD IDEA, always get an agreement in writing). Same kind of deal you have. She was supposed to help clean, do dishes, etc. In turn, we bought and cooked enough food for her.

After 3 months, she was not doing s***. She began using our paper plates and plastic utensils, to get out of dishes. She invited whoever she wanted into our home. Most were really trashy people too. Would come home to find my garage blocked by an oil dripping POS, driven by an idiot friend of hers.

Well, my wife and I decided enough is enough. We told her she needs to keep her end of the deal up, or move out. It never got better. The following week she:

1) Took a monumentally horrific s*** in our toilet, backing it up, and leaving the baseball sized and shaped crap floating around. She refused to clean it up. I had to bang on her shut and locked door for an hour to get her stank ass out to unclog it. So gross.

2) Went out drinking on a work night for my wife and I. got woken up at 2 AM by her banging the s*** out of the front door, waking the dogs. I did not know it was her, so I was stumbling around in the dark, trying to load my gun because I was getting robbed or something. She stopped banging, then called us on her cell phone asking to be let in. Not even a thanks when I did.

3) Made a gigantic mess in our kitchen, leaving all kinds of s*** on the floor and counter, went to her room, and blasted her lesbian techno crap. Oh yeah, did I tell you, she was gay. Not in a cool way though. Ick is more like it. Skinny butch.

Either way, the next day, we told her that she needed to get the **** out. Two days later, she did. In the process, the cops were called when I tried to stop her from stealing some of our furniture. I went apeshit on her verbally for trying to steal our stuff. She called the cops. The same cops I called before she showed up to move her stuff out. She was told to move everything out and not to come back.

The ******* b**** still owes us rent for the month she was there, damnit.

We learned that we will never, ever, ever, have another roommate. Also, get a written agreement, so you can evict them if they screw up.

Last edited:
Kooldino said:
LOL, one of "those" roomates? s***, dude, I'm just trying to be fair. How would you like it if YOU cleaned all the time, and the person who agreed to help you never did?
HAHA, I was joking. Seriously though, the last thing you want to do is let cleaning come between friends. Also, I'd highly suggest not charging any extra as a penalty. Ideally, that would work good. But I know of someone that did that and the tension grew quickly in that household.

Kooldino said:
Well, he's been a friend for years, and I can't kick him out for just that...besides It'd just hurt my wallet until I found a replacement.

Get R#2 to talk to him... get R#2 say ur getting pissed and all this s***. If R#1 gives attitude. Then obviously he doesnt care about ur friendship, so boot his ass.

this way, u wont hurt ur friendship, or at least I hope it wont

Good luck,

BTW I have a roommate that stinks like a pig.... i have to move in back to university REZ in one week... and it summer.... SHOOT ME

RaiderMP5 said:
My wife and I rented a room to one of her friends she had known for years. Good deal for us, the rent $. Verbal agreement (BAD IDEA, always get an agreement in writing). Same kind of deal you have. She was supposed to help clean, do dishes, etc. In turn, we bought and cooked enough food for her.

After 3 months, she was not doing s***. She began using our paper plates and plastic utensils, to get out of dishes. She invited whoever she wanted into our home. Most were really trashy people too. Would come home to find my garage blocked by an oil dripping POS, driven by an idiot friend of hers.

Well, my wife and I decided enough is enough. We told her she needs to keep her end of the deal up, or move out. It never got better. The following week she:

1) Took a monumentally horrific s*** in our toilet, backing it up, and leaving the baseball sized and shaped crap floating around. She refused to clean it up. I had to bang on her shut and locked door for an hour to get her stank ass out to unclog it. So gross.

2) Went out drinking on a work night for my wife and I. got woken up at 2 AM by her banging the s*** out of the front door, waking the dogs. I did not know it was her, so I was stumbling around in the dark, trying to load my gun because I was getting robbed or something. She stopped banging, then called us on her cell phone asking to be let in. Not even a thanks when I did.

3) Made a gigantic mess in our kitchen, leaving all kinds of s*** on the floor and counter, went to her room, and blasted her lesbian techno crap. Oh yeah, did I tell you, she was gay. Not in a cool way though. Ick is more like it. Skinny butch.

Either way, the next day, we told her that she needed to get the **** out. Two days later, she did. In the process, the cops were called when I tried to stop her from stealing some of our furniture. I went apeshit on her verbally for trying to steal our stuff. She called the cops. The same cops I called before she showed up to move her stuff out. She was told to move everything out and not to come back.

The ******* b**** still owes us rent for the month she was there, damnit.

We learned that we will never, ever, ever, have another roommate. Also, get a written agreement, so you can evict them if they screw up.
yah, I'm gonna start doing that "always written agreement...", in case s*** happens

H005_eq_1.gif

jersey_emt said:
(werd) Yeah all through college I cleaned all the time, while 2 of the other 3 housemates basically sat and watched
story of my life. i also got to stock the dorm full of tp, paper towels, trashbags etc... **** em. i've got great roommates now.

lgagno1 said:
HAHA, I was joking. Seriously though, the last thing you want to do is let cleaning come between friends. Also, I'd highly suggest not charging any extra as a penalty. Ideally, that would work good. But I know of someone that did that and the tension grew quickly in that household.
So what should I do? Just sit here and take it in the ass?

He shouldn't let cleaning come between friends.

BlueMonsta said:
Get R#2 to talk to him... get R#2 say ur getting pissed and all this s***. If R#1 gives attitude. Then obviously he doesnt care about ur friendship, so boot his ass.

this way, u wont hurt ur friendship, or at least I hope it wont

Good luck,

BTW I have a roommate that stinks like a pig.... i have to move in back to university REZ in one week... and it summer.... SHOOT ME
That's a GOOD idea, man.

dude that sucks(the story) i would probably kick the fucker out! im glad my roomate and i get along good and have no problems(been roomates almost a year not a single problem)

Back