need advice from 10+ psi users

kicker22705

:
03.5 Ti MSP
i am taking every precaution i can think of to prevent detonation before uppin the boost to 10-14psi on stock internals.

I have:

1. colder spark plugs (BKR7)
2. Injen CAI
3. FMIC (26x6.5x3.5 bar & plate core)
4. DSM's Split Second PSC1
5. and running 93 octane

my blitz ebc is on its way, and i will be getting an exhaust soon (corksports 2.4" or perrins 3")

will these be enough to run 14psi or do i need to invest in a timing retard unit (msd boost master).

ive ran it on pump gas....my engine did go but not because of detonation.
but people will say that these cars are all different and that because mine and some others dont detonate that doesnt mean yours wont either.

DiscreetSpeed said:
but people will say that these cars are all different and that because mine and some others dont detonate that doesnt mean yours wont either.

what did it go from, if you don't mind me asking?

Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable running over 10psi with stock internals unless you have another engine in the garage waiting. Have you seen the pics of BlkZoomZoom's rods? I think he was running 12-14psi.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92910

Read that.

There are quite a few people that are rebuilding engines after running the amount of boost you are talking about. Take that as an omen. 505Zoom was running that much boost for a while (while pulling a bunch of timing), but I would like to see what his stock rods look like. Maybe he'll chime in with some advise. :)

i have all your stuff plus a unichip plus exhaust system and lil stuff here and there and i run 10 psi some times spiking to 14 and nothings gone wrong.....yet.
but i do pull like a mofo at 10 psi.

i wouldnt shoot that high. 10 is the reccommended highest level to boost at. Of course, if you run 14psi it will boost like a MOFO and pull amazing for at least 30 seconds. have fun!

All the supporting mods in the world doesn't change the fact the rods are the size of your index finger. Mine lasted alot longer than I thought, and even with a couple of passes at 18psi with audible detonation I had no signs of detonation on the top of the pistons.

jeffmsp said:
you need the exhaust before anything! and i would still stay at 10psi.

Yeah man, with no exhaust you'll have a lot of backpressure at 10psi with an FMIC. You should get at least a 2.5" catless midpipe and a bigger downpipe "J pipe"

you should definatly get an exhaust before raising the boost.

damn, i always thought engines were blowing b/c of detonation.

so basically, the rods can't handle the load at that level of boost. this is 10x worse than the answer i was expecting. this is so depressing.

thanks for the info i guess i'll start reading up on built blocks & forged internals.

I heard a bigger turbo puts less stress on internals because it spools up slower, is this true? I know are rods are weak but im getting my car tuned for 12-13psi on my t3/t4. sorry for the thread jack

All four of my rods bent at 13psi on the stock turbo. The one broke finally at 6k rpm in 4th. gear

DiscreetSpeed said:
60K miles and had 10-13PSI from about 2k on. I would not run more than ten unless you like living with the Boost Monkey on your back. That simien b**** likes to break motors (monkey2) Stock plugs, stock airbox, stock exhaust.

A.V.MSP said:
I heard a bigger turbo puts less stress on internals because it spools up slower, is this true? I know are rods are weak but im getting my car tuned for 12-13psi on my t3/t4. sorry for the thread jack
You know I noticed that if I made my turbo spool very quicky past 12PSI it will ping over 5500 but if I let it boost more slowly it does not do it. I was wondering about that.
I have never pinged it in 4th or 5th EVER!!! I really only hammer it in the first 3 gears. I do hit 10PSI in higher gears but only after over 3500k or so.
I have hardly ever ping it now I just stay 12PSI and down. I really do want a new electronic boost controller.

Last edited:
Back