DIY Protege forged motor prepare guide

This ^. Also you can't really just drop forged internals in because there is a massive weight difference between forged and OEM. You will need to get the crank balanced for the new weight which I would HIGHLY recommend getting the journals micro-polished. Then you'll need to get the cylinder walls checked out because if there are any scratches/gouges then you'll need to get it bored which would tell you the size piston you need. All of this is an extended version of saying "Do it right the first time" it'll cost a little more upfront but save you a lot of money and heartache in the long run.
Good thing I asked. I want to do the assembly myself. I have a separate block, maybe I should look for a head now... It seems building a motor is not as simple as I thought. Thanks for all the help guys!

Nice work

I didn't See any prices. What was the overall cost of your build? Very nice by the way. Great write up

I didn't See any prices. What was the overall cost of your build? Very nice by the way. Great write up

i probably spent some where in the ball park of 1500 on the short block alone. i was only able to do it that cheap because i spent around 6-8 months looking for everything trying to find the best deals and new open box parts. I also do all my own work (apart from machine work and welding) so that saved me a ton of money.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back