Need advice — 2021 or 2022 CX-5 Signature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went through the new (to me) vehicle shuffle a few months ago and was going back and forth for trade or sell. In the end, I sold to Carmax.

In MN, we get the tax break when trading in (6.5%). The trade-in offer plus the tax break was still about $2k less than I got outright from Carmax.
Also, the dealer was not budging on the sale price of my new (used) vehicle and I didn't want to 'give' them any additional free money for what they could have sold my trade-in for (it would have padded their pockets by another $5k-6k).

Of course I could have gotten even more if I went private party sale, but I just didn't want to deal with that rigamaroll.....especially for the high $$. Due to the ridiculous market, I drove my Golf R for 2 years, plus all maintenance and gas for free (yes, I overpaid for the replacement vehicle).

Regarding financing, you can play the game that they may come down more in price if you finance through them....less likely these days though.

Thanks all for your advice. In the end, I decided to go with the ‘21. Too many variables with ordering a car and waiting…would my almost 10-year-old Mazda blow a gasket or something during the 90-day (optimistically) wait? Would the fed raise interest rates even more? Would we be in the middle of WWIII by then?! Alternative was to get a ‘22 in a color I wasnt crazy about, or with silly options that I didn’t want to pay for.

Gotta say that in this crazy market I think I got a fair deal. Got a ridiculously high trade in value for my 2013, fair market value on a ‘21 that only has 4k miles on it versus the MSRP I’d have to pay for a new order, plus the extra warranty that comes with a Mazda CPO. And PenFed still considered it a new car, so was able to get new car interest rate.

I’m happy, and boy is the turbo fun to drive! 😀

Enjoy it!

@theblooms I will give another example to go against your advice of never going with the dealer financing. When I purchased my 2020 Nissan Frontier SV, the dealer had it listed for $26,500 on a $32,250 MSRP which got my interest. I drove it and decided to purchase. Had a 2011 Tacoma which they gave me a low ball offer on so I kept it and sold privately for way more. PenFed had better rates than what the dealer offered through Nissan Financial, but the $26,500 price was tied to me using Nissan Financing. I couldn't pay cash or bring my own financing. I took the deal and then refi'ed with PenFed 2 mths later (per the finance agreement) so I hardly gave anything back for getting a great price. As others have said, hard to make a blanket statement without knowing all the factors.

You are still paying thousands of dollars more for the car (because of interest) than you would have had you simply bought it.

I, like most people, don't have thousands of dollars to waste, especially when you don't have to.

Having a car payment decimates you ability to build wealth. And if you have multiple car payments? Oof.

You are still paying thousands of dollars more for the car (because of interest) than you would have had you simply bought it.

I, like most people, don't have thousands of dollars to waste, especially when you don't have to.

Having a car payment decimates you ability to build wealth. And if you have multiple car payments? Oof.

Depends on where your money is. By keeping our money in the market, we’re earning far more than the 1.99% we’re paying for the car loan

We had a separate thread for those who wanted to discuss car payments, handling finances, etc., and it was closed because people could not stay on topic or respect each others opinions. The thread barely made it to the second page.

This thread is about making a decision between a 2021 and a 2022. Pricing is a factor, but it's straying too far from the topic (talking about financing vs. buying outright).

It sounds like the OP decided on the 2021, congrats @kardut! (y)

I will lock this thread to prevent any further off-topic discussion, but I look forward to hearing more about your ownership experience going forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back