NAV safety lock with voice commands to be fixed?

gms

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, 2017
Saw on the TomTom board that Mazda, in response to a small claims court action, has apparently agreed to let TomTom remove the "Safety Lock" when using voice commands. I sure hope that's true. It's such a PITA when driving in traffic to not be able to set a destination without pulling off of the road.

A small claims case against Mazda Motors of America, Inc. had been filed in California and will be dismissed without prejudice (Can be filed again) after receiving a call from Mazda which stated that a software fix was in the works by TomTom to correct the voice input during stop and go traffic. The estimated delivery date was June 2013, but was not guaranteed. This fix is only expected to address the voice input issue and does not address the keyboard input issue when the vehicle is in motion.

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Built-in-car-navigation/Latest-regarding-Mazda-NB-1-Safety-Lock/td-p/419908

That's good. It's a pain in the ass trying to do voice commands, when you're stopped or going real slow, then when you start going, safety lock engages and you lose all the steps/commands you just performed with voice.

I had to deal with this issue last night. Great timing. I can only hope that it is adjusted.

I followed the Link above:
I just called the Mazda US support at (800) 222-5500 (Option 6), and spoke with James @ ext 1161. He just told me that Mazda/TomTom are currently fixing the Stop/Go security issue. The planned fix will occur by July, 2013. It will be released through the TomTom website via an Update to the SD card.

About time... The safety lock (due to U.S. regulations) is the biggest annoyance of the system. In stop and go traffic, it is nearly impossible to work the navi without it locking repeatedly. Funny, because some of the functions I want to access can actually be access after the speed lock, but it pops me out of the menu whenever the lock comes on. So I keep going back and forth. I'm sure many of you can attest to this.

Can anyone actually use the voice commands??? I say 123 any street in bakersfield, ca, and Tom Tom comes back with "You said 456 main ave. Boston, ma. Is that correct?" NO!!! So frustrating.

I have the same issue at times, and if I say "no" and repeat it, the Tomtom goes back to the main screen. I agree with it being VERY frustrating for the $ I paid.

That's good. It's a pain in the ass trying to do voice commands, when you're stopped or going real slow, then when you start going, safety lock engages and you lose all the steps/commands you just performed with voice.

...and that just ADDS to driving distraction! The Safety Lock makes it less safe.

I usually have no problems with entering an address via voice command for the navi. Everything else takes too many unnecessary steps, like dialing a name on the phone. Good luck voice commanding to a "favorites" or "POI" also.

I usually have no problems with entering an address via voice command for the navi. Everything else takes too many unnecessary steps, like dialing a name on the phone. Good luck voice commanding to a "favorites" or "POI" also.
"Usually" is the operative word I guess cause the gps/voice commmand in general sucks !!!! My friend just picked up an Acura ilx and the gps/voice command is the best I've ever seen. It doesn't get anything confused.

That says a lot for a car based on a Honda Civic. Though Acura has been pioneering the voice command system for a decade beginning with the RL.

A temp fix for the "Safety" Lock would be to make it lock the last screen/command entry until the vehicle has slowed (allowing you to resume where you left off), rather that resetting the state back to map.

Fixing the Stop/Go issue when trying to use voice command is a good start. What I REALLY want is for them to allow manual input of an address while driving. You can do other things that require touching the screen - why single out address input? Or somehow link it to whatever turns off the passenger seatbelt warning so that, if it detects a passenger in the seat, it allows manual address input. This is a Mazda USA issue as it's not turned off in other countries. But I have no idea how to pressure them to remove this "feature."

Great point! I always wondered why they don't account for a passenger making nav input. The airbag sensor detects a passenger by a weight limit. Seat belt already uses that sensor to warn, why not have nav use that to remove Safety Lock, too?

I followed the Link above:
I just called the Mazda US support at (800) 222-5500 (Option 6), and spoke with James @ ext 1161. He just told me that Mazda/TomTom are currently fixing the Stop/Go security issue. The planned fix will occur by July, 2013. It will be released through the TomTom website via an Update to the SD card.
I don't have any good news. I called and queried the status of the fix, after looking through the notes that James had made about my last phone call to Mazda, Fernando, could not find any info regarding a fix for the voice control/ safety lock. Fernando stated that he had not even heard of this problem with the unit.(dunno)

Last edited:
I reported the same thing back in march. Hopefully they fixed it.

It is not fixed, although they have acknowledged the issue, but it seems like they might not be now. I will believe it when I see it. IMHO, the nav, as is currently, creates a dangerous situation. If I am moving and inputting a destination, I have to do it before I stop, because if I stop and the safety lock disengages, the input is lost. If I am using voice input at a stop and start driving, the input is lost because of the safety lock engaging. If I am entering voice at a stop, there is no reason that input should be interrupted when I start driving as voice input is allowed when driving. If I was programming this, it is pretty much a state based transition problem. It would be so easy to map it out with a grid and do it right. Oh well. I don't use the nav that much.

Back